C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

08 Z06 Caught Fire!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 11:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Either that, or that roach you threw out the window blew back in,...cuaght the car on fire...etc etc.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:24 AM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
Ouch, this is the 2nd one I know of that this happend too. Remember the other one about a yr ago?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS1GumtCKqM
Well on that one it says right in the video that 'the owner had some exhaust work done and then this happened' so that could be a factor...not that a cat back or even headers should cause a fire but an installer error, puncturing a tank etc can be a potential contributor in a case like that.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:30 AM
TECH Regular

That sucks big time. I'm sure you'll get taken care of properly. I'd hope atleast. Looking forward to an update on the situation.

Good Luck!
Old 08-27-2008, 06:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Jersey Devil did it.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:47 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Well on that one it says right in the video that 'the owner had some exhaust work done and then this happened' so that could be a factor...not that a cat back or even headers should cause a fire but an installer error, puncturing a tank etc can be a potential contributor in a case like that.
Yea...I read that aswell....in my case the car was stock...

Originally Posted by dankl
That sucks big time. I'm sure you'll get taken care of properly. I'd hope atleast. Looking forward to an update on the situation.

Good Luck!
Thanks alot....and I'm hoping GM makes good on their error....I actually talked to the service manager at DeFelice Chevy in Pt. Pleasant and he was telling me how GM redesigned the reverse lock out for 08 and to him it seemed thats where the fire started.....

Originally Posted by Danger731
Jersey Devil did it.
I think faulty engineering cause it
Old 08-29-2008, 08:05 AM
12 Second Club

wow just crazy, im sure you will get a new one
Old 08-29-2008, 09:14 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Zero4488

he was telling me how GM redesigned the reverse lock out for 08 and to him it seemed thats where the fire started.....

So does this mean they will replace your car with another fire bomb? If it is a design flaw, they would be recalling evey '08 they put out there. He might be blowing smoke up your *** to buy some time. I just hope everything works itself out, sooner rather than later, for you and your dad.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hopefully you get a new one that isnt a repeat waiting to happen.

havent heard of this much, corvettes catching fire, unlike those Gallardos, which always seem to be
Old 08-29-2008, 12:46 PM
12 Second Club

LOL@people pulling the sue card. GM hasn't made a single attempt to make things right yet. WTF would he sue for right now? A new Z06, that's all he'd get. Yeah they're going to give him a ZR1 He's entitled to a new car or a chunk of $$$ to offset any depreciation if they decide the vehicle is repairable and is still safe to drive. My bet is that they'll take the car back and offer a new replacement vehicle.

Good luck man, at least you weren't hurt.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^

I'm getting a chuckle out of the sue happy lackeys.

Too bad they don't have much a leg to stand on yet; and I don't see the poster paying for some P.E.'s to do a study on multiple cars to show an inherent design defect at this stage. Wait to see all the cards laid out

Anything can go wrong, it's probably a fluke as even if 5 cars had the problem, it's not like the Z06 is a limited production car...

I'm waiting to see pictures to see if it was a case of wiring...

I'm happy to report that my RFZ hasn't gone up in smoke; but the tires have.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:32 PM
Restricted User

Personally I would've put off the phone call a minute or two longer. Make sure she isnt repairable at least. You dont want her back.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:06 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by dankl
So does this mean they will replace your car with another fire bomb? If it is a design flaw, they would be recalling evey '08 they put out there. He might be blowing smoke up your *** to buy some time. I just hope everything works itself out, sooner rather than later, for you and your dad.
Yea...I hope everything goes over smoothly....still waiting for the GM engineer to get out to Jersey to check the car out....

Originally Posted by Frosty
LOL@people pulling the sue card. GM hasn't made a single attempt to make things right yet. WTF would he sue for right now? A new Z06, that's all he'd get. Yeah they're going to give him a ZR1 He's entitled to a new car or a chunk of $$$ to offset any depreciation if they decide the vehicle is repairable and is still safe to drive. My bet is that they'll take the car back and offer a new replacement vehicle.

Good luck man, at least you weren't hurt.
Car or Cash and we'll be happy....and in all honesty....their wasn't much depreciation....it only had 672 miles....I sell cars at my dealership with more miles than that

Originally Posted by OKcruising
^^^

Too bad they don't have much a leg to stand on yet; and I don't see the poster paying for some P.E.'s to do a study on multiple cars to show an inherent design defect at this stage. Wait to see all the cards laid out

Anything can go wrong, it's probably a fluke as even if 5 cars had the problem, it's not like the Z06 is a limited production car...

I haven't taken pictures yet....I really didn't wanna make this into a Kodak moment.

Originally Posted by NBM2001z28
Personally I would've put off the phone call a minute or two longer. Make sure she isnt repairable at least. You dont want her back.
I was honestly in such a panic, I didn't know what to do. As far as damage, the trunk was burned through, all the lines and connectors in the general area were fried, and I'm sure the trans and rear took a beating from the heat. If that doesn't total it, I'm sure the smoke damage will
Old 08-31-2008, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

man that sucks but we are still waiting on pics man i saw a brand new Duramax Chevy truck lose it's whole engine and hood, fender, grille and harnesses to a battery fire and they fixed it. Over 18k in damage hope they total it man, then maybe i'll see it for sale in a local auction and i'll pick it up for $15-18k and rebuild it myself and have it for $25-27k lol
Old 09-06-2008, 06:48 AM
Teching In

Luckily I'm the Tech who was put on the case...Looked at it with the fire Marshall... Looked like it was started by the Reverse Lock-Out Solenoid. (unofficially) One thing I noticed that the solenoid was different from previous year(had an 07 Z06 trans out next to it). the 08 is smaller in diameter... thought that was odd since they never had an issue in the past.... Still waiting for GM reps and engineers to look at it with me and get the final word. Hopefully this was an isolated case!
Old 09-06-2008, 07:49 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by tomdcarguy
Hopefully this was an isolated case!
GM better hope so
Old 09-06-2008, 07:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Wow...that's unfortunate my friend.

I hope everything works out for you.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:57 AM
TECH Resident

WOW....first of all glad to see your alright...ZO6 or not, its not woth your life. Well lets see what the GM reps and engineers have to say about the situation...im interested to know the outcome....
Old 09-06-2008, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by OKcruising
^^^

Well thats BS he coulda burned to death. Should he have stayed in the car so he would have a leg to stand on.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

outcome?
Old 09-06-2008, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Badhawk
Well thats BS he coulda burned to death. Should he have stayed in the car so he would have a leg to stand on.
Just so he can sue?

This is one of the things I HATE about America!!!!!!!!! Sue happy. Did you know Target has to pay out 6 million dollars because there website was not compatible with brail!?! You know who pays for it? US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure GM will take care of him. Keep us posted

Quick Reply: 08 Z06 Caught Fire!!!!