Destroyed my previous bests at Atco yesterday! A good read with timeslips

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 10:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Talking Destroyed my previous bests at Atco yesterday! A good read with timeslips

UPDATE: Video of my best 60' of the day. Watch in HD if you'd like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKVCiIRMRWw

BACKGROUND

I went to a rental at Lebanon Valley in May right after getting the car tuned and dynoed with the cutout. It put down 408/380 SAE on Eastside's Dynojet and went a best of 11.74 at 117.47 with a 1.63 60' (previous best was a 1.62 60'). This is full weight - 3,500 pounds without me in it and I weigh 160. The weather also hit 85 degrees and was fairly humid that day, so I knew it had more in it on a colder day.

Right after that rental, I lost third gear and the car sat in the garage for months until about a month ago when we rebuilt it and I put it back together. I wanted badly to get to a rental down in NJ so I found a private rental at Atco for November and it ended up getting rained out TWICE, one of which we drove all the way there (3 1/2 hours each way) before it was cancelled. I was hoping three times would be a charm yesterday...and it was.

THE CAR

It's a 2002 Z28 M6 with a mild H/C setup: $900 LS6 heads, 224/228 cam, Pacesetters and ORY, cutout/Magnaflow, SLP Flopac, ported TB, stock LS6 intake, MN12 6-speed trans, 3.5" driveshaft, 12-bolt with 4.10s, minor suspension with stock shocks/springs. Full weight and full interior - 3,500 pounds without me in it. Dynoed 408/380 SAE on a dynojet. I was running 26x10.5x16 ET Streets on stock-type wheels with 17" 10-spoke SS wheels up front.

GOALS

As always, my goal is just to run quicker and/or faster (trap) every time I go to the track. Therefore, I wanted to see an 11.6 at 118 and I'd leave a happy guy. In the back of our minds, though, we always set the more "unrealistic" goals and so I told myself it would be amazing if I could hit an 11.5 at 119 because I knew the weather would be great and that would mean only 1 tenth off from roll-cage territory and 1 mph away from a 120 trap. Considering the car is a full weight 6-speed with only 408/380 to the wheels, I thought that would be impressive.

YESTERDAY'S RENTAL

It was nice and cold with highs in the 40s and the track well-prepped, so if I was going to hit a new best, it was yesterday. The ONLY thing that changed setup-wise from the May rental was that I adjusted the master cylinder out quite a bit and it seemed to be shifting better. Everything else was exactly the same.

I lined up for my first pass, one of the first of the day in probably high 30 degree weather and I blew the tires off and aborted. Second pass maybe 30 minutes later the track had warmed up a bit as people started making passes and I spun my way to an 11.88 at 120.60 with a 1.86 60'. The track wasn't hooking but I couldn't believe when I saw the 120.6 trap speed. I also hit 93.51 in the 1/8, whereas my previous best was a 92 at that last rental. This had me pumped up and I decided to let the car sit for a few and cool down. The last thing I wanted was to fry my clutch by hotlapping it a million times.

Half an hour later I went out for another pass and cranked off another 11.80 at 120.79 with a 1.82 60', so now I knew the power wasn't a fluke, I just had to make it hook. I had been running about 17.5 pounds cold in my bias ply ET Streets, so I dropped it to 17 pounds hot after the run, then went out for another pass. I always start higher and slowly drop it.

I revved it up to about 4500 and the light went green, so I launched the ***** off it and it seemed to hook really well. I nailed all three shifts and crossed the line feeling like I might have hit a new best. When I came back to the start my brothers were waiting there for me and one of them had a "HOLY ****" look on his face. I rolled the window down and they go "What do you think you ran?" (the slips print out on the starting line at these rentals so I had no idea) I guessed an 11.6 at 120 and they handed me the slip.

------------------

11.449 at 121.72!!!

I couldn't believe it! The slip read as follows:

60 - 1.637
330 - 4.782
1/8 - 7.363
MPH - 94.87
1000 - 9.585
1/4 - 11.449
MPH - 121.72

Throughout the rest of the day, I then proceeded to run FOUR more 11.4 passes, a ton of 11.5s, and trapped 121 ELEVEN times. I even closed the cutout on a few passes and trapped 120 on those, so the cutout seems to pick me up 1 mph up top.

60' GOAL

I ALSO had one other goal that I didn't expect to hit anytime soon. I wanted a 1.5 60'. Towards the end of the day when I was getting ready to pack up, my brother talked me into dropping the tire pressure a little bit and seeing if I could hit another best. I dropped to 13.5 pounds warm and did a big burnout. I brought the RPM up to just under 4500 and launched hard with a normal clutch release but I mashed the gas perfectly timing-wise (at least it felt great). No new ET best, but the slip popped up with the following:

60 - 1.589
330 - 4.770
1/8 - 7.365
MPH - 94.22
1000 - 9.602
1/4 - 11.477
MPH - 121.14

I finally hit that 1.5 60' I wanted and also grabbed a new best 330'. And even with the lower tire pressure, it still trapped 121 and went 11.4.

TIMESLIPS FOR YOUR VIEWING PLEASURE

These are the 3 timeslips that have all of my bests in each category for the day (and ever). I have a ton of videos and pics from the rental I'll be posting up in a few days when I get a night off. Gotta transfer, convert, and upload, which takes forever.

Last edited by PewterScreaminMach; 12-08-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats! Great times and great driving. Looks like you are really maximizing the setup and being consitent as well.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats... You had me smiling with the "holy **** look"... I could only imagine how you felt...
Old 12-08-2009, 11:00 AM

Couldn't have asked for a more perfect day of racing! I think there were about 8 cars there total...seriously.

Glad to finally have your clutch/master situation squared away. You could really tell that it was working well with how your shifts sounded.

My story is that I ran a totally unfantastic 11.929 @ 119.0 mph with a crappy 1.8 60' and then broke on my next pass, haha.

Everyone was spinning, so I was launching easy (just over 3000 rpm) but was letting the clutch out much faster than last time so as not to ride it. It seemed to be working as I hit a 1.78 60' with only a 3500 rpm launch (as opposed to my previous motor best of a 1.75 with a 5000 rpm launch, but riding the clutch badly).

I finally decided to go for it and dropped the pressure, revved it up to about 4500 and dropped the clutch. There was a spectacular metallic pop and something let go. No fluid came out and there was no exterior damage, but something popped in the rear I believe (so much for the Moser 12-bolt, haha).

It's the first time I broke at the track and couldn't drive it home, so I'm not complaining since it was bound to happen at some point. I definitely wish I had gotten a couple nitrous passes in, but what are you gonna do.

The guy who was running the rental, Mike (Braciole on here) and Brandon (Demonicbird00) were both great guys, and a huge help in getting me squared away and finding a rental car so I wouldn't have to ride on PSM's roof to get home, haha.

Also, Fran and all the guy's from RPM were awesome and offered to tow my car back to the shop to have it fixed!

Also, Geneus, great dogs and burgers! haha

A HUGE thanks to everyone involved! It was alot of fun and a great day despite the breakage. It was great meeting everyone and I hope to get back to the track down there once my ride is back on its feet!
Old 12-08-2009, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Couldn't have asked for a more perfect day of racing! I think there were about 8 cars there total...seriously.

Glad to finally have your clutch/master situation squared away. You could really tell that it was working well with how your shifts sounded.

My story is that I ran a totally unfantastic 11.929 @ 119.0 mph with a crappy 1.8 60' and then broke on my next pass, haha.

Everyone was spinning, so I was launching easy (just over 3000 rpm) but was letting the clutch out much faster than last time so as not to ride it. It seemed to be working as I hit a 1.78 60' with only a 3500 rpm launch (as opposed to my previous motor best of a 1.75 with a 5000 rpm launch, but riding the clutch badly).

I finally decided to go for it and dropped the pressure, revved it up to about 4500 and dropped the clutch. There was a spectacular metallic pop and something let go. No fluid came out and there was no exterior damage, but something popped in the rear I believe (so much for the Moser 12-bolt, haha).

It's the first time I broke at the track and couldn't drive it home, so I'm not complaining since it was bound to happen at some point. I definitely wish I had gotten a couple nitrous passes in, but what are you gonna do.

The guy who was running the rental, Mike (Braciole on here) and Brandon (Demonicbird00) were both great guys, and a huge help in getting me squared away and finding a rental car so I wouldn't have to ride on PSM's roof to get home, haha.

Also, Fran and all the guy's from RPM were awesome and offered to tow my car back to the shop to have it fixed!

Also, Geneus, great dogs and burgers! haha

A HUGE thanks to everyone involved! It was alot of fun and a great day despite the breakage. It was great meeting everyone and I hope to get back to the track down there once my ride is back on its feet!

Hey...**** happens when you ra ce...ask me how I know. I would have loved to have seen you make a nitrous pass once the track came around (I know...it was cold first thing in the morning) but Fran should have you back good as new.

You, your brothers and your dad are great folks...did the Nutmeg State proud. I knew your dad and I would get along just fine when I saw him wearing that Eagles sweatshirt.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:22 PM
11 Second Club

HUGE Congrats man you deserve it...
Awesome write up and great times brother.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:23 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Nice runs, Congrats!! Can't wait to see the pics,video's.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:39 PM

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Geneus
Fran should have you back good as new.
Looks like the posi unit went out so he's gonna put a spool in it for me. He might be pricing out a set of Trickflow heads too
Old 12-08-2009, 03:15 PM
Banned

good read

congrats on your new best (s)
Old 12-08-2009, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

man sicck numbers once i get my 12 bolt i hope to run at least 11's with a similar trap
Old 12-08-2009, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

He might be pricing out a set of Trickflow heads too

That will do the "trick."
Old 12-08-2009, 05:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 177 Likes on 98 Posts

Congrats man. I wish I had been able to make it over there. Too much work to do though.

I too, smiled at the "holy **** look" comment. It's a look we dont soon forget. My buddies gave that look to me last month at MIR.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

UPDATE: HD video is up of my best 60' pass in the original post.

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
Congrats! Great times and great driving. Looks like you are really maximizing the setup and being consitent as well.
Thanks, man. Yeah, I'm trying to see what I can get out of it full weight at a couple different tracks before putting more power to it. It's still on stock shocks and springs and only partial suspension is done, so there's a lot left to work on. More power will come down the road, though.
Originally Posted by BLWNLT1_T/A
Congrats... You had me smiling with the "holy **** look"... I could only imagine how you felt...
Yeah, it was awesome. I knew it was a good pass but I didn't think it was THAT good.

Yeah, I'm just glad to have it shifting well now.
Hey...**** happens when you ra ce...ask me how I know. I would have loved to have seen you make a nitrous pass once the track came around (I know...it was cold first thing in the morning) but Fran should have you back good as new.

You, your brothers and your dad are great folks...did the Nutmeg State proud. I knew your dad and I would get along just fine when I saw him wearing that Eagles sweatshirt.
Thanks! And especially thanks for the burgers and hot dogs!!!
Originally Posted by venom ws7
HUGE Congrats man you deserve it...
Awesome write up and great times brother.
Thanks, man.
Originally Posted by Tony B4
Nice runs, Congrats!! Can't wait to see the pics,video's.
I just put a video of the best 60' pass up for your viewing pleasure. Thanks!
Looks like the posi unit went out so he's gonna put a spool in it for me. He might be pricing out a set of Trickflow heads too
That car is gonna fly next Friday if all goes well.
Originally Posted by LS1 SPEED
good read

congrats on your new best (s)
Thanks!
Originally Posted by therobman
man sicck numbers once i get my 12 bolt i hope to run at least 11's with a similar trap
Thanks. And good luck with your 12-bolt purchase.
Originally Posted by C5_Pete
Congrats man. I wish I had been able to make it over there. Too much work to do though.

I too, smiled at the "holy **** look" comment. It's a look we dont soon forget. My buddies gave that look to me last month at MIR.
I love that look. You know something good is coming when you see someone with that look on their face.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:33 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Its amazing how much of a difference the weather and track can make. I am seriously jealous very nice results. Was it worth all the driving? Our track is around 2500' elevation and it was still in 3000+ DA when they closed for the season

Congrats!
Old 12-09-2009, 07:31 AM
9 Second Club

Congrats on your new times! Good story to read, it inspires me even more to believe my car can run 11.5 n/a with a better 60ft. My last past a few weeks ago was a 11.75 @ 118 with a 1.75 60ft. I hope to be down there with you soon in the mid 11s. Good Job!!!!
Old 12-09-2009, 08:10 AM
10 Second Club

Very nice run. And rowing those gears as well. Congrats on your new best.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:44 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
Was it worth all the driving?
I would hope so. He has a really nice family and I believe it was an great opportunity for them to bond with some new folks who they only know thru posts on the internet. It was a shame his brother broke on his second pass...but he'll be back stronger than ever and with some luck maybe they all will make it down again to another rental this spring.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
Its amazing how much of a difference the weather and track can make. I am seriously jealous very nice results. Was it worth all the driving? Our track is around 2500' elevation and it was still in 3000+ DA when they closed for the season

Congrats!
It was absolutely worth the drive. Hell, it was worth BOTH trips we made down there. (first one got cancelled as we pulled into the parking lot ). I don't think I could live somewhere with that high of an elevation!
Originally Posted by Carter01
Congrats on your new times! Good story to read, it inspires me even more to believe my car can run 11.5 n/a with a better 60ft. My last past a few weeks ago was a 11.75 @ 118 with a 1.75 60ft. I hope to be down there with you soon in the mid 11s. Good Job!!!!
With that 60' you'll get there no problem. Get it to a low 1.6 or high 1.5 with the right tires/suspension and that thing will fly.
Originally Posted by BOLO
Very nice run. And rowing those gears as well. Congrats on your new best.
Thanks, man.
I would hope so. He has a really nice family and I believe it was an great opportunity for them to bond with some new folks who they only know thru posts on the internet. It was a shame his brother broke on his second pass...but he'll be back stronger than ever and with some luck maybe they all will make it down again to another rental this spring.
We'll definitely be back. The way I see it, I'll probably try to use most of the year up here at LVD (much closer, only two hours away) to practice and tweak the setup, then at the end of the year make the trip down for a rental in good weather at Atco. BUT, I'm guessing I'll talk myself into making a trip down early next year when the snow goes away.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:16 PM
11 Second Club

WOW man lifting those 17 was awesome ...
Old 12-09-2009, 02:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

man i miss acto....fl weather isnt the same for racing