Bolt-on vette traps 137+

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 08:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
From my experience, both Jersey tracks help out significantly with the timeslips, although I've never raced at MIR (I've heard good things, as well). There's definitely a reason a lot of the record runs you see with cars and bikes are done in NJ, often times in the cooler weather. I'm not trying to take anything away from this setup or the guys who built and drove it as they clearly did an outstanding job; I'm just saying that's it's a combination of a great setup, great driving, and a great track.

For example, my the best pass I ever made at LVD in cool weather was 11.7 @ 117, and often trapped 116 in warmer weather. I then took it to an Atco rental in the late Fall with nice cold air and went consistent 11.4's @ 121 all day long in a negative DA. My brothers and I have seen similar results going to Etown, as well, although Atco seems to be the place for record passes if you can get there in good weather.

The DA there is just consistently stellar compared to other tracks in the country, so it's hard to watch other people try to compare various setups and drivers at different tracks around the country and say "Well this other Z with similar mods or more mods didn't go that fast, so what's the deal?" The deal is a strong setup, a great driver, and good weather at a consistently fast track.

Again, OP, great job with this car. Those are some awesome numbers. Big time props to you guys and the driver for showing what a car like this can do.
IMO the track that day hads average prep and the Tee shirt mine-shaft air doesn't exist.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteboy2k
IMO the track that day hads average prep and the Tee shirt mine-shaft air doesn't exist.
Doesn't exist or didn't exist that day? I didn't say there was mineshaft air that day, I said the track has consistently good weather, not to mention it's 30' above sea level, and when compared to a lot of the other tracks around the country, this helps contribute a great deal to why people see very fast times and traps there. BUT a big part of this car going this fast is in the setup and the driver; running it at Atco on a decent day only helps.

As to the mineshaft air in general (not necessarily on that day as I wasn't there), it most certainly does exist. I've been on that track in the Fall, not even the Winter, when on track devices put the DA at -2000. Again, I didn't say it was mineshaft air the day you guys ran these numbers, I was just trying to explain to some people questioning these timeslips one of the many factors that helped with these passes. In my personal experience, a decent day at Atco is better than the best days at most tracks around the country. That's just how it is. Elevation, region, and track prep are all factors in this. Combine that with the fact that most setups are not put together properly like this one, and the fact that most drivers can't do justice to their cars, and there's a very clear reason why most C6 Z06's out there with similar or even better setups will likely not run like this one.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Doesn't exist or didn't exist that day? I didn't say there was mineshaft air that day, I said the track has consistently good weather, not to mention it's 30' above sea level, and when compared to a lot of the other tracks around the country, this helps contribute a great deal to why people see very fast times and traps there. BUT a big part of this car going this fast is in the setup and the driver; running it at Atco on a decent day only helps.

As to the mineshaft air in general (not necessarily on that day as I wasn't there), it most certainly does exist. I've been on that track in the Fall, not even the Winter, when on track devices put the DA at -2000. Again, I didn't say it was mineshaft air the day you guys ran these numbers, I was just trying to explain to some people questioning these timeslips one of the many factors that helped with these passes. In my personal experience, a decent day at Atco is better than the best days at most tracks around the country. That's just how it is. Elevation, region, and track prep are all factors in this. Combine that with the fact that most setups are not put together properly like this one, and the fact that most drivers can't do justice to their cars, and there's a very clear reason why most C6 Z06's out there with similar or even better setups will likely not run like this one.
I believe the air is the big factor like those -1500 da days which we get on occasion as does many other tracks. There's no magic to atco. They don't have the best prep either. It the best of 2 tracks in NJ for the hobbyist. We have alot of racers and performance shops in a small area with one good track.
137.75mph in t-shirt weather. Maybe close to 140mph in the great air you're talkin about.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:45 PM
10 Second Club

CONGRATS Gary!!

thats Flying!! when i saw the thread title i thought "i bet its Gary" sure enough

im guessing it was a rental at atco??

-brandon
Old 09-20-2011, 05:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Demonicbird00
CONGRATS Gary!!

thats Flying!! when i saw the thread title i thought "i bet its Gary" sure enough

im guessing it was a rental at atco??

-brandon
Thanks Brandon.
If you watch the vid, it has the answer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnBdxvLyULE
Old 09-20-2011, 06:16 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

a decent day at Atco is better than the best days at most tracks around the country. That's just how it is.

If you are referring to the fall season then you are 100% correct. Summer however brings +3500' to N.J.

The DA's at Englishtown are comparable to Atco year round also.

To the OP, I'm just passing through. No disrespect to the car you're talking about.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:01 PM
10 Second Club

awesome passes!!

i cant believe you pulled the wheels! i can only hope to cut your 60' this fall

-brandon
Old 09-21-2011, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn impressive. Even though your 60ft was really good it sounds like it still bogged slightly. I think it has some more in it. Wouldn't be surprised to see you get in the 9.90's with better DA and get that bog out of the 60 ft's. Good luck.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

What's the race weight?
Old 09-21-2011, 03:34 PM
10 Second Club

Exclamation

Originally Posted by vetteboy2k
I believe the air is the big factor like those -1500 da days which we get on occasion as does many other tracks. There's no magic to atco. They don't have the best prep either. It the best of 2 tracks in NJ for the hobbyist. We have alot of racers and performance shops in a small area with one good track.
Originally Posted by Firehawk441
If you are referring to the fall season then you are 100% correct. Summer however brings +3500' to N.J.

Exactly.
We raced in +3900 to +4200 DA last summer here in NJ.
Barometric pressure readings are barometric pressure readings and temperatures are temperatures NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE, they are fixed and constant for each location at that moment in time.
ONLY the track's physical altitude (and maybe humidity/dew point a little bit) can alter the DA when two tracks that are 200+ miles apart (say, Atco and Lebanon Valley) have otherwise identical barometer and temp readings.
Lebanon is further north so theoretically it should have cooler temps (advantage) then Atco on the same day. But it's also 400+ feet higher in elevation so even with all of the other factors/elements being identical that 400+ has to be added into the calculations of course.
400 feet is less than a tenth/1 mph with equal traction.
If it's 55 degrees with a 30.10 barometer at Atco and it's 55 degrees with a 30.10 barometer at LVD then the only difference in track results should be roughly (again, humidity/dew point can move things a few feet here or there) what a 400 foot higher DA would cause it to be, assuming that track prep/traction is equal at both tracks.
Nothing more and nothing less.
Same goes for E-town, Cecil or MIR.
The one advantage a track like Atco might have is that it does stay open later into the year than some of the other tracks which does allow one to race in 45 degree temps instead of only 50 or 55 degree temps. But now that also introduces a whole 'nother set of hurdles of course...ever try hooking a 550rwhp manual IRS Corvette on a 40 degree track surface?
I was doing 200 foot burnouts with only 390rwhp in an automatic last winter, it's no picnic on those cold days.
Of course many of us still flock there during that time of year in search of new bests and 'sometmes' we get lucky and land them. But there's simply no free lunch with extreme cold/high pressure/low altitude conditions, it's always a series of give & take.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Killer5.3
Damn impressive. Even though your 60ft was really good it sounds like it still bogged slightly. I think it has some more in it. Wouldn't be surprised to see you get in the 9.90's with better DA and get that bog out of the 60 ft's. Good luck.
Thanks. It bogs badly on the 10.26 and somewhat on the 10.13. The 10.17 with the 1.35 was much smoother. We will be working on that.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:49 AM
11 Second Club

Damn impressive times for the mods! Congrats!!!
Old 09-24-2011, 03:11 PM
10 Second Club

Very impressive!
Old 09-27-2011, 10:17 AM
12 Second Club

Nice combo that works and some awesome driving.

Interested to see how you do in - DA air that is coming soon to ATCO or MIR.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:24 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Hardtop
What's the race weight?
This is the number that I want to know too.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Congrats guys. I have been hearing about this car for a while. It's just nuts you are so close to 10 flat and 140mph with it. Awesome driving, and great job to everyone involved with the setup.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I call BS!!!!! (BIG SHOT) C6Z's run 12's from the factory in Alaska and your track is up hill with a head wind both ways!

Congrats to Mr.Gary on some serious driving on a well tuned car at a nice track. Much better DA and times are to come.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Firehawk441

To the OP, I'm just passing through. No disrespect to the car you're talking about.
Yup, I went to E town a couple weeks ago and it was 2600+

Nice vette, I have my eyes on that clutch, it's the only thing I really need...

137 is cookin!!!
Old 10-01-2011, 08:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 448 Likes on 354 Posts

Hell Yea!! I'm glad to hear this. I have a ls7 for my car. I've been following you guys a little and have noticed you carry some records. I'm knocking on the door of your ls6 mph record with my ls6 swapped camaro ss. Next time out I should have it with the recent changes I've made. Good luck with continueing to set the bar! I love seeing bolt-on cars get it done.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Hell Yea!! I'm glad to hear this. I have a ls7 for my car. I've been following you guys a little and have noticed you carry some records. I'm knocking on the door of your ls6 mph record with my ls6 swapped camaro ss. Next time out I should have it with the recent changes I've made. Good luck with continueing to set the bar! I love seeing bolt-on cars get it done.
I did not know that our 126.32 was a mph record for our old LS6. (I'm not sure that we even posted it.) We chase ET and that really never came to mind.

Quick Reply: Bolt-on vette traps 137+