GoPro Vids added "Got some shakedown runs in .. SS w/SDPC 402 .. mid-7's at 103 mph"

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 09:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GoPro Vids added "Got some shakedown runs in .. SS w/SDPC 402 .. mid-7's at 103 mph"

We finally got some shakedown runs at Paradise Dragstrip in Calhoun, GA (1/8-mile). It was sunny and cool in the low 50's and the runs were late in the afternoon after the track was "going away" (if it was even there-local small track). This is the first time the car has ever been to the track and 30 years since the driver has been to the track in front of the tree. You can see the details about the car in my signature and "Garage" and here are a few pertinent details.

27x11.50-15 Hoosier QTP's (20-15 psig)
4.10's w/spool
Stock M6 w/OZ700
500rwhp/500rwt
Spohn Drag Bar (mounted as it came out of the box) & rod ended LCA's (lower hole), PHBR & chassis-mount T/A (PA -1)
Stock front & rear shocks & springs
Hardtop & non-TS car
3,380# w/o driver (Cat Scale weight, but it seems too light) (plan on re-weighing elsewhere)
No roll control or two-step (burnouts in 2nd heel-toeing & rolling after staging-yep, several red lights)
About 4,000 rpm launches
Spinning 15-20' out then hooking well
Straight and smooth every run

Best overall run out of 11 was ...

0.895 RT
1.933 60'
7.544 ET
103.32 MPH

... best RT was 0.573

... best 60' was 1.794

... best ET was 7.536

... best MPH was 106.00

I am hoping to get this car in the high 6's/high 10's with minimal effort N/A. Looking at the mph, I think it has plenty in it to get there easily. My plans before hitting the track again are ...

Less tire pressure
Properly adjusting the Spohn Drag Bar as specified by the directions (i.e. raise up the front, sit in the car, measure at the door jamb .... etc.)
Installing a roll control, two-step and shift light
Front and rear shocks (probably decided on Strange DA's)
More track time

Once I edit them, I will post a few GoPro videos, but until then, a few photos for those who like to look at pictures like I do ...

Leaving for the track ...

Rear suspension ...

The QTP's ...

At the track ...

One of the better burnouts (heel-toeing is not easy in the burnout box) ...

Spinning out past the tree ...

Here is some weight transfer, but not nearly enough ...

Just a nice *** shot ...

One of my first runs (from the windshield) ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gLkW4HXZ08

.... another from the rear left quarter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxQS5q0BfdQ

... another from the trunk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYzZwGLuEck

Follow http://www.youtube.com/user/BrianSFGA?feature=mhee for all the GoPro clips.

Last edited by BrianSF-GA; 03-11-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:01 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks for beating on our 402 Glad to see you putting it to good use.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 03-06-2012, 10:08 AM
11 Second Club

Soooo much potential... Lol. Good luck with future mods, the car will be a beast for sure
Old 03-06-2012, 12:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
Thanks for beating on our 402 Glad to see you putting it to good use.
I am glad I could be of service ....
Old 03-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

That is a some great MPH.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SuperSlow02
Soooo much potential... Lol. Good luck with future mods, the car will be a beast for sure
I am thinking those few mods will get me there .... next year will come a roll bar, T-56 build, MC/bleeder & bellhousing.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by speedtigger
That is a some great MPH.
I was pretty disappointed with the first slip until I saw the MPH and then I knew there was potential. Ultimately, I think it did really well considering the track, no roll control or two step and I was only able to get the tire pressure down to what ended up being 18# cold (I was trying to bring it down in increments).
Old 03-06-2012, 06:47 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mid 7's is good for an 11.5 i went 7.506@96 and 11.555@121 th400 he would probally go 11.5@125ish
Old 03-06-2012, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

MPH is impressive I definitely think it has 10's in it, very nice looking car as well. That track looks kind of sketchy however
Old 03-06-2012, 11:01 PM
TECH Resident

when it hooks, expect to drop a full second off those times...
Old 03-07-2012, 07:27 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by smok'nZ
mid 7's is good for an 11.5 i went 7.506@96 and 11.555@121 th400 he would probally go 11.5@125ish
Yea, I figured mid-7's with that 1/8 time, but I am hoping for something better with shocks, roll control, 2-step, less psi and better track prep/track.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:05 AM
10 Second Club

roll control and two-step is overated!! Once you get the anxious bugs out of the driver mod 3 foot burnouts are a breeze!!

For example mine goes 7.0s at 97-99 and never saw your MPH! Huge potential. Just the springs and shocks alone will be drastic on your car.

Did you remove the front sway bar by chance? You'll see mid-10s in no time at all and look good doing it! I find 12-15lbs of tire pressure the sweet spot.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:46 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
MPH is impressive I definitely think it has 10's in it, very nice looking car as well. That track looks kind of sketchy however
I was impressed with the mph too and thanks for the compliments. I am thinking the same about the 10's too, at least I am hoping. Yea, the track is 40 minutes up the interstate and very convenient, but they are celebrating their 50th anniversary ... it is just a local track. I want to run at Commerce, but I think I will have to wait until next year for a roll bar.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:50 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BrianSF-GA
I was impressed with the mph too and thanks for the compliments. I am thinking the same about the 10's too, at least I am hoping. Yea, the track is 40 minutes up the interstate and very convenient, but they are celebrating their 50th anniversary ... it is just a local track. I want to run at Commerce, but I think I will have to wait until next year for a roll bar.
yup, they'll run you out of commerce after the first run. Won't let you run in shorts either but Wal-Mart nearby has some nice sweat pants... Forgot to mention Paradise Dragstrip is NOT your friend if you have a manual. You'll roll out of the beams everytime. I quit going there for that reason. Automatic...not problem.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:02 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by alan2000T/A
roll control and two-step is overated!! Once you get the anxious bugs out of the driver mod 3 foot burnouts are a breeze!!

For example mine goes 7.0s at 97-99 and never saw your MPH! Huge potential. Just the springs and shocks alone will be drastic on your car.

Did you remove the front sway bar by chance? You'll see mid-10s in no time at all and look good doing it! I find 12-15lbs of tire pressure the sweet spot.
Hey Alan good to see you here ... "anxious bugs"? Hell I was cool as a cucumber ... yea right ... lol. I have at least two vids when I killed it in the burn-out box. I am afraid the roll control is necessary at least at Paradise ... I would roll back out of the "stage" and red light. I finally took my wife's suggestion and used the e-brake to hold it at the line ... it helped alot. The heel-toe burnouts affected my braking too. I felt like I was overheating the rear pads/rotors when it came to the shutdown area as the day went on.

I am thinking the same on the springs/shocks. I think it will do alot for the weight transfer and the adjustable rebound on the rear should help dig in the rear. I was thinking coilovers in the rear for ride height adjustment, but now I am thinking they are not necessary. It seems to be at the right height.

No, have not removed the sway bar yet and is that 12-15# sweet spot on yours hot or cold. I started with 20# cold and worked my way down to 18# hot.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:14 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by alan2000T/A
yup, they'll run you out of commerce after the first run. Won't let you run in shorts either but Wal-Mart nearby has some nice sweat pants... Forgot to mention Paradise Dragstrip is NOT your friend if you have a manual. You'll roll out of the beams everytime. I quit going there for that reason. Automatic...not problem.
My other thought at Commerce was maybe run the 1/8 .... basically ease off after passing the 1/8-mile beams or will they not play that game? Their test n' tune was postponed last weekend for weather and will be on the 16th.

I had heard Paradise was uphill, but wasn't thinking about the starting line ... my first run I staged, it rolled out, red light came on, I waited for the green, got my slip with an 8.8 and almost put it back on the trailer until I remembered that the timer starts when the car first moves not when the green light goes on.

I heard that Brainerd Optimist in Ringgold has new owners and are putting some "big" money into renovating including the track surface. That's another hour up I-75, so we might try that one next.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:40 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BrianSF-GA
My other thought at Commerce was maybe run the 1/8 .... basically ease off after passing the 1/8-mile beams or will they not play that game? Their test n' tune was postponed last weekend for weather and will be on the 16th.

I had heard Paradise was uphill, but wasn't thinking about the starting line ... my first run I staged, it rolled out, red light came on, I waited for the green, got my slip with an 8.8 and almost put it back on the trailer until I remembered that the timer starts when the car first moves not when the green light goes on.

I heard that Brainerd Optimist in Ringgold has new owners and are putting some "big" money into renovating including the track surface. That's another hour up I-75, so we might try that one next.

Tire pressure...depending on the tires but the Hoosier DRs i was using last i would start at 15 and keep it 15 after each pass. It would grow to 18 or so in a pass. On the slicks i'd do the same thing but between 12 and 15.

The best thing around is Alabama International Dragway in Steele, AL. They won't run you off, go ***** out w/ no fear, always MPH's good, as good a hooking track that you can drive to. Its the same distance to Steele as it is to Commerce. Commerce SUCKS unless its the weekend of a national event. My CTS-V couldn't even get traction during the Fast Friday T&Ts there.

But everything you've said, all the pics, potential vids can't trump this line:
I finally took my wife's suggestion and used the e-brake to hold it at the line ... You are a smart man, and having a wife that likes this stuff is awesome!!
Old 03-07-2012, 07:18 PM
11 Second Club

I was at paradise sunday. I was just watching tho. Your car looked great but you could diff use a line lock for the burnouts. Didnt looked like you got the tires hot enough on your passes. I go to that track regularly and the track prep sucks. The mph is also bout 3 to 4 mph high. You should have any problem getting into the 10s with good 60ft tho. congrats
Old 03-07-2012, 09:44 PM
MASS seller approved

hell if you dont DD the car remove the sway bar and go back for a better time
Old 03-07-2012, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Talking

Sent u a PM, hope it helps! Nice car! has huge potential! btw, i see ur rear tires arent screwed to the rims, such as mine and I marked my rear tires and found they are slightly spinning on the rims, wondering/looking at ur h.p. if urs are doing the same?

Last edited by z28241; 03-07-2012 at 10:42 PM.

Quick Reply: GoPro Vids added "Got some shakedown runs in .. SS w/SDPC 402 .. mid-7's at 103 mph"