Question about M6 vs. auto ET times

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 02:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
lol yours isn't the only one that changed Even if the auto dropped 1.5 seconds off your time you would still be slower then my car on gate despite me having a horrible manual trans!

If anything I hoped you would swap out that little turbo. I know how that little turbo performs and it just doesn't make enough jams to hang. Once you get the rear sorted out and get a bigger turbo (or add another one) I can see the car going a good bit faster.
Once I get the rear, the plan is to see just how far this small turbo will take me, then step up to a big boy turbo. But as it sits, if I can get it down the track without it breaking.... I'm sure it will run faster than most believe it will with this Chinese turbo. What are you running now?
Old 09-06-2017, 02:48 PM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova
Once I get the rear, the plan is to see just how far this small turbo will take me, then step up to a big boy turbo. But as it sits, if I can get it down the track without it breaking.... I'm sure it will run faster than most believe it will with this Chinese turbo. What are you running now?
I'm sure it will go faster I just don't think that little turbo has much left in it. I leaned on a few of those chingchangs pretty hard, even the Precision that size didn't really impress me. You can tell a big difference when you go to a larger turbine and let the engine breath, even the T6 S480 is easily maxed out on a 5.3L. So I decided to change everything up and put twins on there and really let it flow.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:50 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm sure it will go faster I just don't think that little turbo has much left in it. I leaned on a few of those chingchangs pretty hard, even the Precision that size didn't really impress me. You can tell a big difference when you go to a larger turbine and let the engine breath, even the T6 S480 is easily maxed out on a 5.3L. So I decided to change everything up and put twins on there and really let it flow.
No, I meant what are you running ET and trap wise at the track?
Old 09-06-2017, 03:29 PM
8 Second Club

No, I meant what are you running ET and trap wise at the track?
Doesn't matter what it runs... you said you would beat it.

I gave you a hint that its faster on wastegate now then it was with the auto on 27+ PSI.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Doesn't matter what it runs... you said you would beat it.

I gave you a hint that its faster on wastegate now then it was with the auto on 27+ PSI.
if you were asking the little China turbo to perform at 27psi, it's no wonder it wouldn't run like you wanted.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:17 PM
8 Second Club

if you were asking the little China turbo to perform at 27psi, it's no wonder it wouldn't run like you wanted.
I asked it but the little 78/75 just tapered off up top. I tried the 84/75 and it picked up a little but not much. I stepped up to the 88/84 it held boost better and went a little faster. Even the S480 didn't really get fun until 25+ psi. They were all kinda blah under 20psi. No reason to be scared of boost, let it eat!

To keep the thread relevant take a look at a heavier then full weight manual sedan that runs bottom 9's and we turned it to 34psi and almost 1100hp:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-2004-2007-gen-i/1879942-hit-dyno-science-1088whp-1051wtq.html
Old 09-06-2017, 09:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember reading your V was running a stock or close to stock T56?

Do you have any comparisons between auto vs stick shift?

All I want is a 9.99 time slip while shifting gears and cruising the freeway without getting passed by mini vans
Old 09-06-2017, 09:09 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by CyberGrey Z28
I remember reading your V was running a stock or close to stock T56?

Do you have any comparisons between auto vs stick shift?

All I want is a 9.99 time slip while shifting gears and cruising the freeway without getting passed by mini vans
That's not my car I just run the keyboard and throw out dumb ideas, haha.

But he does run an RSG rebuilt trans in the V, same place I had mine done after I saw his stand up to the abuse. His car was never auto, but I've waivered back and forth a few times.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 465 Likes on 364 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
What exactly is the deal with a faceplated trans? Advantages, disadvantages....
Faceplated = dog box which is no syncro's. It can allow you to use a ignition cut via load cell on shift for no lift and no clutch shifting. Even with out the ignition cut it makes it for more consistent shifts. Used wuth the right clutch it's more durable than sycros to. It also allows for better high rpm shifting......which the fcar syncros are not the best at.

Disadvantages are it makes a clunk under normal shifting and you have to actually be able to drive a stick......not just putz it through gears. That goes for both ways that gear box moves so rev match down shifts are a must.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Is it really that much of a pain in the ***? Rev match on down shifts, but whats the difficulty on upshifts?

I imagine that getting rid of the synchros increases durability?
Old 09-07-2017, 03:31 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

No it's not a pita . But you have to be able to drive a stick. Most can't but think they can because they set in the car and can make it move.

No real difficulty on up shifts but you have to shift it like you want it in the next gear. No limp dickin it.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:51 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
No it's not a pita . But you have to be able to drive a stick. Most can't but think they can because they set in the car and can make it move.

No real difficulty on up shifts but you have to shift it like you want it in the next gear. No limp dickin it.
Ya dog boxes are pretty common on high power imports and you certainly have to shift like a man. But overall I thought it was overkill for this build as you can easily have an 8-9 second manual without that option on our transmissions. The import gears are usually weaker so it's a solid upgrade.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:58 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

From what i have noticed t56 sycros don't really like being shifted over 7k rpm.....especially the fcar ones. Most the clutches are **** for that rpm to and even a little drag will make a sycro'd trans notchy. When after fixing the problem i addressed both issues in my car.

Maybe the upgraded syncros are better at high rpm.....but how much higher? Idk because I've only used stock t56 and my fp'd one.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I believe my clutch wasn't fully disengaging when I had my faceplated t56. Driving around town was always a pain in the ***. I had to double clutch and time each shift just right. If not it was a horrid experience. It was stupid fun on WOT shifts though.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:00 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Mines pretty easy to drive and I'm very used to it after 40k miles on it.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have watched your videos and mine wasn't anything like that lol. I am willing to bet it was hydraulic issues. I sold mine before I hurt it and went to the dark side
Old 09-07-2017, 07:55 PM
8 Second Club

From what i have noticed t56 sycros don't really like being shifted over 7k rpm.....especially the fcar ones. Most the clutches are **** for that rpm to and even a little drag will make a sycro'd trans notchy. When after fixing the problem i addressed both issues in my car.

Maybe the upgraded syncros are better at high rpm.....but how much higher? Idk because I've only used stock t56 and my fp'd one.
I don't know what RSG does to the synchros but my trans shifts like butter now. It was really notchy before sending it in which got annoying quick. Now it shifts fast and clean at 7500RPM and downshifts just as quick. George at RSG said they will shift clean to 8000+ and I believe it.

The clutch probably made made a difference too. I went from a clapped out and really heavy Monster twin to a lightweight Tilton triple. The whole clutch and flywheel now weighs less then the monster flywheel. I coupled that with a Tilton slave and a MGW shifter and have zero complaints.

Even with the lightweight clutch you have to rev match or the disks will yell at you. Sintered iron makes quite the noise when you try to slip it.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,307 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Even with the lightweight clutch you have to rev match or the disks will yell at you. Sintered iron makes quite the noise when you try to slip it.
I believe my Spec stage 5 was sintered iron and make an awesome "squeak" every time you tried to slip it.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:28 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jtm2085
I have watched your videos and mine wasn't anything like that lol. I am willing to bet it was hydraulic issues. I sold mine before I hurt it and went to the dark side
Probably having some sort of issue.

I don't know what RSG does to the synchros but my trans shifts like butter now. It was really notchy before sending it in which got annoying quick. Now it shifts fast and clean at 7500RPM and downshifts just as quick. George at RSG said they will shift clean to 8000+ and I believe it.

The clutch probably made made a difference too. I went from a clapped out and really heavy Monster twin to a lightweight Tilton triple. The whole clutch and flywheel now weighs less then the monster flywheel. I coupled that with a Tilton slave and a MGW shifter and have zero complaints.

That's cool. I wasn't sure how the upgraded syncros shifted. Hell most guys don't wanna turn them that hard and even more use **** clutches that just don't work well at high rpm.

I run a tilton 5.5 triple with a qtr master tri lite release bearing. I love my tilton. We set up in a friends 5gen up with a tilton and used the 6000 tilton release bearing.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Mines pretty easy to drive and I'm very used to it after 40k miles on it.

https://youtu.be/3u6z5shwAo4
That thing looks buttery smooth to me.

The idea of wide open, no clutch shifts sounds awesome.

Quick Reply: Question about M6 vs. auto ET times