Best Trap Speed w/Stock Ex Manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 12:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

12.84@110.8 with 2.0X 60'. With stock manifolds and cats. No power adder, no pulley, stock engine.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:20 PM
11 Second Club

109.98 motor
120.48 100 shot

98 auto with stock TC, bolt ons, stock manifolds
Old 08-24-2004, 05:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
I would, but i'm too lazy.

What's wrong with the mods I listed? What does the pulley have to do with exhaust? Nothing. Did I say it did? Nope. The question was "What's the highest mph through stock manifolds?" Last time I checked you didn't have to mess with the manifolds to throw a pulley on - but since you pointed out it has nothing to do with the exhaust, this is a no brainer.

So if a pulley isn't, then how is your nitrous? Are you going to tout that as "well, more air goes in, so more exhaust needs to go out"? Well, if a pulley is there to let the engine spin "free-er", then wouldn't it be bringing more air in and needing to expell more exhaust as well?

Maybe i'm just totally going off course - or maybe I just want to know who has a higher trap than my old Z - with the limited mods

Now YOU'RE killing me here
Originally Posted by nuzee
:"I'm trying to figure out the limits of the stock exhaust manifold & cats."
I interperet that as meaning: "at what level of power are the stock manifolds & cats becoming a roadblock."

Engine spin freer? Wow, you're gonna have to watch those technical terms. You might be getting over some of our heads here

Yeah there is less parasitic loss but it's not helping to put more air into the engine is it? No,it's taking less kinetic energy from the crankshaft in order to spin your accessories. You're pulley will free up power that is already there. N2O will help generate additional power.

The nitrous is something that introduces additional combustible material into the combustion chambers which must be evacuated.Simple as that.

Additional power due to moving more air is what will cause the manifolds to be a bottleneck.

Your traps can be improved by removing weight and assisting aerodynamics.I don't think weight and aero mods should be discussed in great length when talking about the exhaust system because there is no correlation.

Yes, I think you are totally going off course here

The Manifolds start to become a problem around 400hp (w/the more restrictive '98 Manifolds) from what I have seen. I picked up next to no MPH and only a .1 going from a 100shot to a 150 shot.
Obviously there are alot of variables but I think that's a good general range. I also have an LS1 intake and stock TB but I think the N2O helps offset this quite a bit.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:42 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheatin' Chad
Engine spin freer? Wow, you're gonna have to watch those technical terms. You might be getting over some of our heads here
Ah yes, I did become a bit too technical with that, didn't I? I was just caught in the moment of making a point - a point which I screwed up - but you knew exactly what I was trying to say.

Freeing the accessories, which in turn let's what needs to spin do so with out the drag of the "heavier" crank pulley which, from my limited understanding of an internal combustion engine, would let the engine be more efficient without your "parasititc losses", therefore making more power, therefore which would require more air. Wheeeewwww

Then again, since the factory pulley is heavier, it has more rotating inertia, which means at higher speeds it's taking less power to keep it turning... but I don't want to get a lesson in physics here (if that's even the class I would need to take to understand this )

So yeah... this has gone way off topic.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:15 PM
TECH Addict

Ah yes, I did become a bit too technical with that, didn't I? I was just caught in the moment of making a point - a point which I screwed up - but you knew exactly what I was trying to say.

Freeing the accessories, which in turn let's what needs to spin do so with out the drag of the "heavier" crank pulley which, from my limited understanding of an internal combustion engine, would let the engine be more efficient without your "parasititc losses", therefore making more power, therefore which would require more air. Wheeeewwww

Then again, since the factory pulley is heavier, it has more rotating inertia, which means at higher speeds it's taking less power to keep it turning... but I don't want to get a lesson in physics here (if that's even the class I would need to take to understand this )

So yeah... this has gone way off topic.
Uhhh no. Nice try though

The effect of an aftermarket pulley as far as power goes is mostly due to the fact that it is underdriving the accessories. Not that it is lighter.

Weight alone does not determine inertia. A pulley could be heavier and have less inertial effect if the weight is in a different place. i.e More weight toward the inside diameter of the pulley

In my last post I threw in something pertinent to the original topic near the end. This time however I have nothing productive to post.

good day
Old 08-25-2004, 04:24 AM
11 Second Club

So I say we go with this question:

Who has the highest trap with FACTORY Engine (intake, heads, cam, block) and no mods from the cats to the manifolds - WITH NO POWER ADDER!

So mods allowed:
Lid/Filter/SSRA
Bassani OR y pipe and Loudmouth catback
Predator programmer
3.42 gears ST3500 on ET streets

12.15 @111.3 00 Formula hdt minus spare, jack, and front swaybar.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:14 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by Cheatin' Chad
Uhhh no. Nice try though

The effect of an aftermarket pulley as far as power goes is mostly due to the fact that it is underdriving the accessories. Not that it is lighter.

Weight alone does not determine inertia. A pulley could be heavier and have less inertial effect if the weight is in a different place. i.e More weight toward the inside diameter of the pulley

In my last post I threw in something pertinent to the original topic near the end. This time however I have nothing productive to post.

good day
Hey, I tried!

But since more power is being made available, then in turn, wouldn't that cause a need for more air?
Old 08-25-2004, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

Hey, I tried!

But since more power is being made available, then in turn, wouldn't that cause a need for more air?
Well, more power isn't really available. That 8-10hp is just being used for accelerating the driveline instead of accelerating engine accessories.

Same thing with an electric water pump. The power gains seen from an electric pump aren't because it allows the motor to now ingest and expel more air.It's because there is less parasitic loss.

The recent tests of crate motor LS1's I have seen in magazines show near 400hp at the crank. If you put that same GM stock LS1 into an F-Body it now makes 280-320 (depending on a bunch of different things as I'm sure you know). It's still the same motor but due to the fact that it now has to spin all manner of accessories and driveline components less power is available to accelerate the vehicle.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:49 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Alright, that clears things up a bit.

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread!

But I still have the highest mph posted
Old 08-25-2004, 08:22 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

read sig, stock manifolds, cats, and exhaust w/flowmaster muffler in place of stock one.....

Derek
Old 08-26-2004, 12:05 PM
12 Second Club

110.3 With a 99 MN6 Ybody with Blackwing filter only.
Old 08-28-2004, 12:05 AM
12 Second Club

111.x mph through stock exhaust including cats but with an open cutout. 112.9 mph without the cats but with stock exhaust + cutout. I expect to be at 114+ mph after a new clutch, tune and cutout on the aftermarket exhaust. The car is a stripper M6 with !spare & jack as the only weight reduction. I take that back, the 112.9 mph included Weld Draglite skinnies up front.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

I went 12.88@111.78mph with stock manifolds and cats at Cecil in November. The only mods were !MAF screen, Tbody bypass, Lid and bullet muffler

Old 08-28-2004, 02:34 PM
TECH Addict

109.69 MPH with LID, LM catback.
Old 08-28-2004, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

My car went 12.50 @ 113 with stock manifolds. No pulley. Borla, LCA's and 410's.

Bruce
Old 08-29-2004, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

110.86 no mods at all still paper air filter 01 m6 car had 123 miles on it.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:02 PM
TECH Regular

http://host78.hrwebservices.net/~nas...magnus1196.AVI

http://host78.hrwebservices.net/~nas...magnus1200.AVI

stock internals, stock clutch, stock manifolds w/ cats, 3500lbs.: mods: free mods, borla catback, whisper lid, 4:10's
Old 07-26-2005, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

111.89 mph completely stock 2000 C5.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:20 PM
11 Second Club

LOL, this is an old thread that got revived ...... but it still has meaning!
If anyone else got some new info to add, please do so!!
Old 07-27-2005, 12:27 AM
11 Second Club

124mph stock manifolds

Quick Reply: Best Trap Speed w/Stock Ex Manifolds