Track Results (FINALLY) AFR 205 Project Car

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 08:39 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Track Results (FINALLY) AFR 205 Project Car

Hello....

First I would like to say I'm getting a little tired of seeing my car on the back of a FLATBED !! (twice within the last couple of months....)

Anyway....on to the better news.

Had the car at the Bakersfield private event today and finally had the chance to run it without transmission problems and other assorted BS of late that kept me from getting these results sooner.

The D/A today was not as great as everyone was hoping for....actually, it was a beautiful day for hanging at the track, but too warm for putting down serious power numbers. My weather station had the day between 1200 and 1600 ft above sea level (confirmed by another weather station as well)....unfortunately, most of us had hoped to see it as low as 300-600 and some earlier reports suggested that it might even be negative (no such luck), but I'm not complaining because I usually run at LACR and the D/A there is usually 4000-5500 feet.

My first two runs I choose to keep the air pressure in the ET Streets around 20 lbs. to try and avoid breaking parts and get a feel of how the track was hooking (I should have kept that philosophy!) and with both of those runs spinning out of the hole (and on my 1-2 shift), the car ran an 11.42 the first run and an 11.50 the second, with 1.80 and 1.81 sixty foot times. Not all that impressive until you look at the MPH which is a much better indicator of "power" (as most of the sharper drag guys know)....The car ran 123.98 and backed it up with a 123.96 the second run!!

I was extremely pleased with those results as my car is quite heavy for a Vette....With me in it, the car weighed exactly 3440 lbs. today. It certainly is no stripped down Z06 with skinnies etc, that would come in 200 lbs less with an average weight driver. In fact, I ran my standard front wheel package which is a fairly heavy 285/35/18 Nitto.

I was confident with a better launch I could run LOOOW 11's at maybe 125+ and directly after the track was re-prepped I dropped my tire pressue to 15 lbs and side stepped my new Exedy dual at around 5800 RPMS.....The end result was a big BANG....and the car went NOWHERE. Enter AAA an hour or so later and the rest is history.

As stated in an earlier thread, MANY Corvettes spit some driveline parts today....I wish these cars could be made more "bulletproof". I will be taking her apart AGAIN probably tomorrow to try and locate the cause...stay tuned for the next round of "carnage" !!

Regards to all,
Tony Mamo
Old 12-04-2004, 08:42 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck with the fix and a great few runs. my car knows all to well the back of a flatbed truck at the track
Old 12-04-2004, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hell! I'll be happy just getting into the 11's once my car's all together. Look's Good. What kind of cam you running 224/228?
Old 12-04-2004, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that mph sure do look impressive.Congrats.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:16 PM
Launching!

What RPM were you shifting at? What gears in the diff?

My stock FRC with a half tank of gas, 21lb trailer hitch and Z06 mufflers is 3100lbs even. Can't wait to get it down to 3000ish with all the bolt-ons, light battery, etc. and see what it traps with some of your heads.

Weren't there other AFR cars running?

Thanks.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:03 PM
10 Second Club

What cam and other mods are you running?
Old 12-04-2004, 11:06 PM
12 Second Truck Club

It was a nice day at the track, a little warm, but nice. I declare today "National Break Your Corvette Day," as there were more broken vette's than anything out there today. It was sad. Good numbers though, Tony! Hope to see you AFR guys out there more often, tell Guy we're gonna have to have a grudge match next time out. That is one fast 4x4/crew cab/long bed/camper shelled Duramax he's got there!
Old 12-04-2004, 11:08 PM
Flow Wizard

Default More Info...

Guys...

Dont forget that this is the AFR "street" package I spoke about in great length a few months ago....224/228 cam, FAST 90, etc....very stealthy, perfect driving manners, and big power. This is about as close to "eating your cake and having it to" as it gets. Shortly, I will be developing the next package to be featured with the same stock shortblock, in the same vehicle, that will feature the small shamber 225's and the next custom ground cam in AFR's LS lineup. Although I HOPE to see an additional 30 RWHP putting me solidly over 500 RWHP (with no tricks or BS and including the loss from 3.90 gears), I know that my docile "stealthy" driver part of the package will be compromised somewhat. With that in mind we plan on doing lots of dyno work and R&D to try and keep it acceptable enough for a more aggresive "daily driver" and although a bigger cam would obviously make more power, we are going to still hang our hat slightly on the conservative side. The better the cylinder head is, the less of a need to go "huge" on cam timing to put up big numbers....we will leave that to some of the tuners and individuals who are less concerned with driving manners and more concerned with maximum power output. To be honest with you guys, I feel more of you on this forum (LS1 Tech) would probably opt for the package currrently in the works, but trust me when I tell you that ALOT of people would sacrifice that extra 30 or so to keep their driving manners similar to stock.

Anyway...sorry to get de-railed there for a minute.

Grant, I was shifting right at 7050 or so (7000 RPM Shift light plus reaction time) and as I mentioned earlier with 3.90's out the back.

As far as the other AFR cars went, the few that I knew about also broke (no joke) and then I got hung up with the whole "AAA Flatbed" thing and unfortunately didnt see some of the other cars go. Im sure they will chime in when they get a chance. I would have liked to have been a spectator for awhile....It was really comfortable out there today.

Thanks,
Tony M.

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 12-05-2004 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your PM's , Tony.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
Guys...To be honest with you guys, I feel more of you on this forum (LS1 Tech) would probably opt for the package currrently in the works, but trust me when I tell you that ALOT of people would sacrifice that extra 30 or so to keep their driving manners similar to stock.

Thanks,
Tony M.
Very wise comment.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:49 AM
Flow Wizard

Default Video of 11.50 Run...

Thanks to "Pat and Kat" McSwain I have a link to my second (and final) run of the day. Im guessing there was 21-22 lbs of air on this run because I basically just hot-lapped it around the track and I'm sure the tires were still hot from the first run I made which seemed to hook (and ET) a little bit better.

Thanks for the video guys....sorry to see you "break" again as well.

http://fuzzydiceracing.com/k/Tony1250.wmv

Tony M.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:58 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sweet, sounds great going down the track too!
Old 12-05-2004, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Tony,
With the same engine combo installed in a equal weight M6 F body, could you run quicker times? Put another way, does the F body make a better dragstrip car?
Old 12-05-2004, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Gollum, I would say so becuase of the solid rear axle if it could hold the power.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:52 PM
Flow Wizard

Originally Posted by gollum
Tony,
With the same engine combo installed in a equal weight M6 F body, could you run quicker times? Put another way, does the F body make a better dragstrip car?
My first instinct is to say yes....its obvious you can build a "bulletproof" driveline for the F-Body (funds permitting) which is more than half the battle and 3/4's of the aggrevation....breaking parts is such a letdown but obviously the nature of the beast.

Also, I'm thinking a well set-up F-Body could transfer weight more efficiently than a Corvette, which is really better suited at a road race event than a drag event. I think what is becoming painfully obvious for me is that until the aftermarket builds some bulletproof parts for the C5, I might just have to "give up on the ET" for awhile, keep the tire pressure up, and get a lot more seat time than wrenching time. Even with a mediocre 1.80 sixty foot, the car was pulling like crazy down the track and I was still having a blast rowing the 6-speed.

Personally, Ive always been more of an "MPH" kind of guy anyway because that's what is showing you how hard the car is pushing you back in the seat on the ride down the 1320....."ET" is primarily an indicator of how well the car works and how good the driver is. Negating the first 60 feet of the track, a car capable of 124 MPH trap speed would be door to door with a "10.70" car that was totally optimized for drag racing. Granted, to have both (a car that exploded out of the hole AND pulled crazy MPH) would be nice, but your not typically going to find that in a dual purpose "compromise" car, especially one set up more for road racing than drag racing.

Joel ("JB's Blown C5) ran a best ET somewhere in the 11.50's I believe, but did so at 132+ MPH (not to mention he DROVE home....LOL) Granted, he's making over 600 RWHP, but I bet his car was a blast to drive down the track and because his car isn't set-up for the ultimate ET (which I'm sure would have ended in another flatbed call), he drove home to tell about it.

Just some thoughts I felt were worth sharing...

Regards,
Tony M.
Old 12-05-2004, 03:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

OT- what is breaking on the 'vettes? Diff? Axles?

Thanks
Ben
Old 12-05-2004, 03:26 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
OT- what is breaking on the 'vettes? Diff? Axles?

Thanks
Ben
differentials
Old 12-05-2004, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Corvette rear CV joints are a problem also. When SLP installed their 408ci engine package in their R&D GTO, the engine produced so much torque the rear CV's broke.

Tony's car is making a lot of power with just 346cubic inches.

Last edited by gollum; 12-05-2004 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was extremely pleased with those results as my car is quite heavy for a Vette.
Congrats..

The end result was a big BANG....and the car went NOWHERE.
Check your PM's

Originally Posted by Magic Chicken
tell Guy we're gonna have to have a grudge match next time out. That is one fast 4x4/crew cab/long bed/camper shelled Duramax he's got there!
Hey Chicken Boy- He already embarrassed you twice, sure you want that grudge match?

Hey maybe you could have Guy put 5 people inside his truck instead of 2 next time.... and maybe pull a trailer.. then you might have a race!

Last edited by Flipper; 12-05-2004 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:28 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Flipper
Chicken - He already embarrassed you twice, sure you want that grudge match?
6 words Flip: At least my truck is running!

Quick Reply: Track Results (FINALLY) AFR 205 Project Car