Something to ponder regarding records!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 10:12 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

I also think we should only have about 2 big events per year, instead of the series. With gas prices like they are, we really can't count on travellers next year. I also think the rules should be much more relaxed, to fit in more potential cars.

You guys should be considering the Year One event in April. Why? Because it is a 3-day event with things for the family to do, its a $250,000 event, has a huge car show and road racing, and has just about every single magazine and TV media group in attendance. If you want to shine like a star, get your car ready by April. There simply won't be another bigger opportunity to have a fun weekend like that for us.

Then, I'd say we do the same thing for the Thunder Shootout. Make it 2-3 days of fun, racing, partying, etc...

Yes, Atlanta is not "central", but we should make the effort to travel to where the hot scene and media are, and take advantage of a well planned weekend of cars and racing.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tony, one cool thing would be an unlimited outlaw type class...anything goes as long as it's on a 10.5" tire. would be cool to see who'd show up to run that. might bring some of the big boys out.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:33 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

1) Simple rules like the ones that Derty posted would be the format I would want for 2005. Simpler rules make it easier.

2) Kurt threw out Memphis, and for valid reasons. It's very central. I don't know how much it costs or who would show up. Lot's of open questions.

3) One scenario I keep thinking about is having/participating in 4 or 5 one day TnT rentals at like Milan, US41, MIR, SAR... that end with ONE 2-3 day event like Thunder. I just don't see folks travelling for a handful of races, but we still could have okay regional turnouts where folks can just run their cars with other enthusiasts from our site (and others). Reality is that nobody from TX is gonna trailer up to US41 for one day rental in 2006 current gas and diesel prices. But locally we might get 80-90 cars, heck the MFBA MIM rental got 101 cars.

4) There are other options, but I look at stuff like Buicks at Bristol and think that we just need to support one big event and some small regional ones.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:40 PM
Banned

i would be down for a 3-4 day event at thunder, or sar, or anywhere within a reasonable driving distance next year....hopefully i could keep the car together for an entire weekend of racing.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by next
8seclt1 - well said.

I believe there are records, milestones and benchmarks.

Records are tracked within an organization. My guess is that some guys used their timeslips for comparison and along came the misjudgement that the internet was a racing organization. Now everybody says they have a record when it's massaged to whatever details their car is made of..
unfortunately, that "some guy" was PSJ... he thinks he understands organized sanctioned racing, but he doesnt.. he is about making money.... he is the one that started the "records" deal on Ls1tech.com..
Old 10-26-2005, 06:20 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank You BOB.

225-343-9029
Old 10-26-2005, 07:42 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree ,,we have alot of " make your own rules type racers" and then you have " actual racers who build thier cars to a set of rules... My feeling is this.This is a Ls1tech forum ,whom formed a rule bearing series, big or not big its a pretty much a basis for records and sort... For some to come and use this board to gloat thier times and laugh at the series in the same breath is a slap in the face to anyone who's spent tons of money in conforming to a set of rules ,whether it be carrying weight, have certain heads or whatever... Theres alot of times posted that are awesome in thier own right no matter how they did it..But dont avoid the reality of the "people who do race" could equal or better those times, at the same weight, same equivalent head, same chassis... All I'm saying is at a sanctioned event , alot of some of these self proclaimed records wouldnt be records at all ... and may find themselves not as fast, if they adhered to a set of rules...
Old 10-26-2005, 07:55 AM
8 second mod

i called my run a record. i figured my car fit in the rules for ls1tech extream mod, and it went faster then another car that fit these rules.

to me thats fare. because alot of us cant be travling 1000 miles to run an event. id love to and im sure other would also, but we are not "drag racers" we are blue collors that have jobs ect and just cant make the trips.
to me a record should be broken by cars that fit a "class"
but what do i know
Old 10-26-2005, 08:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Noyzee
i called my run a record. i figured my car fit in the rules for ls1tech extream mod, and it went faster then another car that fit these rules.

to me thats fare. because alot of us cant be travling 1000 miles to run an event. id love to and im sure other would also, but we are not "drag racers" we are blue collors that have jobs ect and just cant make the trips.
to me a record should be broken by cars that fit a "class"
but what do i know
well, how can your run be a record if SIkora and I went 8.92 @ 159 like 2yrs ago with an extreme mod combo?
Old 10-26-2005, 08:44 AM
8 second mod

Originally Posted by 8seclt1
well, how can your run be a record if SIkora and I went 8.92 @ 159 like 2yrs ago with an extreme mod combo?
im going by the stock cube n2o record
Big Mike held it for 2 years, then i matched it but with more mph
Old 10-26-2005, 08:46 AM
TECH Junkie

I agree, records are to be accomplished at a sanctioned event and BACKED UP! No one time run and you have the record, it must be backed up by another run within 1% of the proclaimed record pass. That is how NHRA does it and it is fair to everyone ... plus it removes all doubt of it being a "chance" pass or something tripping the lights early. Most of these internet racers are confusing personal bests and calling them records, which they are not.

As far as the LS1Tech series, we would love to attend ... but they are all too far away from us west coast guys. Plus, our car was built to race in NHRA's Super Street and Super Gas classes. This setup doesn't allow us to participate in the Series races, we don't fit in a class. If the rules are made more relaxed for next season, and we can financially afford to go the distance to a Series race, we will definately consider it.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Noyzee
im going by the stock cube n2o record
Big Mike held it for 2 years, then i matched it but with more mph
thats the thing, there is no "extreme mod stock cubic inch n2o" record..

its an EXTREME MOD record... thats why there is parity in the classes (or that is the goal)...
Old 10-26-2005, 10:20 AM
SSU Moderator

I'm not a big racer, but I personally would like to see just a few classes, one stock suspension, anything goes. And one 10.5-tire, anything goes (like the one DERTY posted). Call them Limited Street and Super Street. You could give breaks or points or whatever to LS1 motors, or just give an extra trophy or something like that. With one set of rules you know what the LS1 guys can do, and with open rules you get lots of other racers involved which can mean bigger payouts.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Joe Overton
I agree ,,we have alot of " make your own rules type racers" and then you have " actual racers who build thier cars to a set of rules... My feeling is this.This is a Ls1tech forum ,whom formed a rule bearing series, big or not big its a pretty much a basis for records and sort... For some to come and use this board to gloat thier times and laugh at the series in the same breath is a slap in the face to anyone who's spent tons of money in conforming to a set of rules ,whether it be carrying weight, have certain heads or whatever...

Mr. Overton, I hope your not talking about us talking **** about ls1tech series races, We would come out to race, If the time permits us to. That was said Time and Time again, Business comes first it pays the bills, Thats the only thing that is important. Here you go opening your mouth trying to razz us up again, i thought i explained that in the other thread??????????

And About Gloating, Like i said i hope you not talking about us. I do not even wanna get started.

Hi Bob
Old 10-26-2005, 11:36 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

unfortunately, that "some guy" was PSJ... he thinks he understands organized sanctioned racing, but he doesnt.. he is about making money.... he is the one that started the "records" deal on Ls1tech.com..
Since John is out of town right now, I thought I'd call BS on that reply.

1. What is wrong with making money? Do you like to make money? I think everyone likes to make money. So, why be a hypocrite with a statement like that? Is it so bad to run a successful business?

2. We didn't make a dime on this series this year. We actually donated about $38K towards these races, directly from our site income. It was not a self-supported racing series, the funds were exchanged for advertising time on LS1TECH, from sponsors we already had prior to this series happening. So, we didn't earn **** here, just so everyone else could have a place to race. We didn't even have to have this racing series at all, it sure didn't do anything to help it business-wise. I could think of many things I'd rather do with all the time we spent on this, as well as things to spend $38K on.

3. What is so difficult to understand about sanctioned racing? Did you attend some sanctioned racing trade school and earn a degree in it? Its not too difficult to read some rules, build a car, and go racing. Please enlighten us with your long list of events that you have self-funded and organized, as well as sat on the board of directors, or chair commitee for.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Since John is out of town right now, I thought I'd call BS on that reply.

1. What is wrong with making money? Do you like to make money? I think everyone likes to make money. So, why be a hypocrite with a statement like that? Is it so bad to run a successful business?

2. We didn't make a dime on this series this year. We actually donated about $38K towards these races, directly from our site income. It was not a self-supported racing series, the funds were exchanged for advertising time on LS1TECH, from sponsors we already had prior to this series happening. So, we didn't earn **** here, just so everyone else could have a place to race. We didn't even have to have this racing series at all, it sure didn't do anything to help it business-wise. I could think of many things I'd rather do with all the time we spent on this, as well as things to spend $38K on.

3. What is so difficult to understand about sanctioned racing? Did you attend some sanctioned racing trade school and earn a degree in it? Its not too difficult to read some rules, build a car, and go racing. Please enlighten us with your long list of events that you have self-funded and organized, as well as sat on the board of directors, or chair commitee for.
#1 You dont have any idea what my relationship is with PSJ..
#2 I dont see anywhere in this post, where it says YOUR NAME, so stay out of it.
#3 PSJ talks to me every day regarding the LS1tech series and I do have alot of experience with sanctioning bodies and racing organizations. Try doing a search on yahoo on my name, you will see that I have raced "organized" racing since the late 1990s.. You WILL see that I have held MANY records in multiple organizations over the last 6-7 years...
#4 I had a TON to do with the rules written for EFI Renegade for the NMRA. I have attended MORE NMRA races then ANY RACER, MANUFACTURE, or TECH OFFICIAL since NMRA was created in 1998. I also have many large sponsors who have supported me since I started racing in the late 90s. I think this gives me a foot to stand on regarding this issue.

This post is NOT about you or me.. it is about "records" and what they really are.. someone posed a question and I replied to it with the truth.

DO research before attacking me..

BTW, my name is BOB KURGAN.... search it on yahoo
Old 10-26-2005, 11:55 AM
SSU Moderator

Damn.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:16 PM
BW
Launching!

BTW, my name is BOB KURGAN.... search it on yahoo
http://www.foxcitieskurgan.org/photosKurgan.html
Old 10-26-2005, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Whew...!
I haven't seen this much drama since the whole NMCA-EMAP-Peterson,Van Houten, Depillo, ProMedia soap opera!!!
Old 10-26-2005, 01:28 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Bob, I know who you are. Now that you are done beating your own chest, I'm wondering why you would rag on John for wanting to make money, when its VERY obvious that we are spending quite a bit of money on this series and not making a cent on it. How is that "all about the money"? Its more like "all about losing money".

Also, you are correct, I don't know the relationship between you two. But, when you slam the series and anything money related about it, thats when I'm involved in the discussion. Your personal issues with John have nothing to do with this series or the investments involved.