New best with the help from my LS1 buddies

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 01:22 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default New best with the help from my LS1 buddies

I hadn't been able to hook since we got the new 408 tweaked and realized my 28x10.5-15s were pretty much gone so Coach talked me into going to a taller slick so we could get the power to the ground consistently. We had planned on running the Clash of the Titans $1000.00 bracket race at HRP, but we hadn't had the time to test the taller tires or get the suspension set up yet. Coach talked me into leaving from work on Friday night before the event to get some test hits in and boy was that a great call. I drove the car out and the wife showed up with the slicks, jack etc later so I had some cool down time and an opportunity to uncap the exhaust and make the suspension adjustments. We dialed 1-800-MadMan for initial settings and he nailed it on the first go around.

First pass of the night we went a 10.43 w/1.38 60ft @ 128.5mph The car came up square stuck and carried the tires out great! I was shocked. We backed that up with a 10.44/10.45 and called it a night. The DA sucked through the weekend. The high was +2700 and low of +1850

Saturday tested my brain pretty good because I couldn't keep from going red at the tree with the new lower 60fts. I managed to get it figured out just in time. I ran consistent 10.42s through the bracket event and made it to the finals. In the final race my opponent and I cut the exact same .038 light and I caught him on the big end and let off, but coasted to a 10.39 at 126 mph
broke out, but the car would have gone a 10.35 if I had stayed in it. I dropped 2 full mph and still managed the new best. I just have to assume the air got a bit better or a tail wind or something. I managed to make a little $$ and have fun doing it. It was a great day of racing except for only getting 1 1/2 hours of sleep before having to go to work today

A big thanks goes out to Coach and MadMan for helping get me lined out and get the power to the ground. Coach spent a good bit of time helping me and his brother stay competitive and I do appreciate that.

We got to hang with quite a few LS1techians like The G-Force guys, LS1 Joe and Amber, Josh and Steven w/HPE, Aric Potter and many other Ford and Chevy motor heads. Tom (Coachs brother) was running his Camaro (Larry Samples) 98 black Camaro also. It was fun, but hot and tiring.

I can't wait for some good air!!!!!
Old 07-16-2006, 01:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome times James...congrats on the new PB... how did Coach and his brother do this w/e?
Old 07-16-2006, 02:01 PM
10 Second Club

Awesome!
Great ET and MPH for that DA, what is your race weight and tell us about your set-up.
Bob
Old 07-16-2006, 03:16 PM

Thanks guys! I'm tickled to death myself. Here's a thread with some details on the motor set up.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...light=408+Greg

The car is bit heavy at 3545#s now. I recently installed lightweight flex carpet and pulled the drivers airbag when I installed Grant steering wheel. I am probably going to have to spend some $$$ to drop weight now too keep it on the street and keep it comfortable to drive around.

As far as suspension goes, I have QA1s all the way around, LCAs, BMR T/A with the T/A and LCA relocation brackets, BMR SFC and that's about it.

The MadMan SYA bars have some scars but did their job

Coach was baby sitting me most of the time.lol. He was hammering 10.3s all weekend and Tom ran 10.9s. The heat and humidity was pure torture, but the good air is just around the corner

See ya at the track!!
Old 07-16-2006, 03:16 PM
Banned

btw, what tire did you end up going to? the 30x10 hoosier that Coach is running?
Old 07-16-2006, 06:25 PM

Yeah, it's actually a 30x10.5-15 Hoosier. I needed a lot of tire to stay consistent when racing events. A 30x9-15 probably would have worked, but bigger is better right?
Old 07-16-2006, 06:55 PM
TECH Addict

Congrats on new PB man & all i can say with all respect to others that LS1techs gentlemen are the best guide

Good luck on your single digit journey

peace
Old 07-17-2006, 08:25 AM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats my little racing buddy. You did a great job of driving Saturday. It sure was cool to have 3 f-bodies kicking butt. Good luck this weekend at the HMP race.

Coach
Old 07-17-2006, 04:26 PM
Banned

what kind of clearanceing did you end up having to do to get that tire to fit? i've thought about running that tire but don't have the car mini tubbed and my 9" is stock width so back spacing is a problem.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:34 PM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by skipperbisket
what kind of clearanceing did you end up having to do to get that tire to fit? i've thought about running that tire but don't have the car mini tubbed and my 9" is stock width so back spacing is a problem.
Neither one of our cars are mini tubbed. You have to cut some of the front & rear of the wheel wells to make them fit.

Coach

Quick Reply: New best with the help from my LS1 buddies