Cartek 4x H/c = 10.41 @ 131.15

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 05:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats Alex thats flying man . Hopefully after this weekend I'll also be deep into the 10's. I ran an 11.09 @ 124 1.54 60' missing 4th right off the trailer my first time at the track in about 1 year, then I was given a list of safety equipment **** I had to buy. I can also vouch for the 4x being a extremely powerful and proven heads and cam setup that is 100% daily driveable. Hell I drove back and forth from NC to NJ over 5 times with it and had 0 problems! Are you going to the track this weekend Alex?
Old 03-22-2007, 06:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

congratulations, that has to be so cool to have a low 10 sec street car that you drive all the time. stock bottom end no less.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:13 PM
CARTEK Racing

I will agree with Brad02Z06 and Smokinstorm that your cars are running very well. The statement was not made with your particular cars in mind. Although I would love to see the MPH from TFS headed car with 521HP that Vengeance put together.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:14 PM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by sickss228
Are you going to the track this weekend Alex?
If it does not rain Im seriously considering the EFI event at E-town... just for fun, no new bests expected.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:40 PM
9 Second Club

If you would've taken that wing off you'd have had that 10.39, hehe
Great job once again.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:56 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Brad02Z06
How can you say this "Other shops have put up 500+ with H/C but have yet to prove them at the track"

My car dyno at 505rwhp it's 02 z06 w/ stock 3.42 gears. It ran a 6.96 @ 101.5 w/ 1.59 60ft only the 6 time down the track. Only shifting at 6500 instead of 7000 and not launching all that hard cause of stock rearend 3.42 not 4.56.

Not taking anything away from your car it's flying!!!! Congrads!
Nice going Alex, it was just a matter of time to dial in that package. Now your clutch is broken in and you can start to launch it.

Brad, no disrespect but your gonna have to put up some 1/4 mile numbers to prove that package. And mph can be inflated especially when the 60' isn't stellar. My car has been in the 6.9x's over 10 times (full weight + rollbar) with a Cartek 'baby' Cam only and has also run 127mph in the 1/4.
You also have an m12 so no need for the 3.42 excuse. And how you chose to drive your car is up to you. We've all run on the stock rear. Many of us took risks, sometimes they pay off and other times they don't and you grenade parts. Yeah we beat on the cars but we also pay the price at times and are down for 3-6 months unable to put up any numbers. (I hate when people say they don't drive their car hard.) That's racing. I'm sure you'll be in the 10's soon. The TF heads have proven to work well. I know Joe recently went 10.8's in an a4 with Cartek ported TF heads. I'm sure their tune helps also.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:09 AM
Old Drag Racer

Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01
I will agree with Brad02Z06 and Smokinstorm that your cars are running very well. The statement was not made with your particular cars in mind. Although I would love to see the MPH from TFS headed car with 521HP that Vengeance put together.
Thanks on my part for that clarification I'm with you in that I'd like to see some of the higher horsepower cars that Vengeance has just done go to the track as well. I'm at the lower end of the recent RWHP scale putting out just under 460 unlocked and 483 locked. I'd certainly expect those with over 500 to out MPH me, especially the manual transmission cars. BTW WS6TransAm01, what did you run the first time out in November of 2005 when you first got your package installed? Just curious as that's more of a comparison to my car as I've only got one clean 1/4 mile pass without running all over the rev limiter. I'm sure it's quicker and faster than my car just ran but it would help me and others I believe to see the learning/driving curve you experienced with your combo. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:06 AM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by Smokinstorm
Thanks on my part for that clarification I'm with you in that I'd like to see some of the higher horsepower cars that Vengeance has just done go to the track as well. I'm at the lower end of the recent RWHP scale putting out just under 460 unlocked and 483 locked. I'd certainly expect those with over 500 to out MPH me, especially the manual transmission cars. BTW WS6TransAm01, what did you run the first time out in November of 2005 when you first got your package installed? Just curious as that's more of a comparison to my car as I've only got one clean 1/4 mile pass without running all over the rev limiter. I'm sure it's quicker and faster than my car just ran but it would help me and others I believe to see the learning/driving curve you experienced with your combo. Thanks.

Funny you ask... First time out I broke my car hardcore. I riped the torque arm out of the rear mount, sheared off the driveshaft and broke the pinion yoke on the rear, at the same time I somehow wound up taking out the ring gear, making it transform into hundreds of metal shards. Never use Richmond gears EVER. The car sat all winter long cause a. I was short on funds to fix it and B, with my luck 4.56 gears from Precision were on back order. Eventually by February or March I got fed up and ordered a set of Motive 4.56 from Strange. Went back out in March of 2006 and ran 10.56 @ 129. We added a boost-a-pump then because I was leaning out and running out of fuel, also Julio got new software for tuning and returned by car. I was stuck with 10.56 till November of 2006 when I ran 10.51 @ 130+ Broke twice in November, this time the Eaton HD Posi took a sh*t. Rebuilt the rear yet again, put the new 'experimental' CARTEK clutch in the car, which is the best clutch I ever drove BTW. And 2 days ago went 10.41 @ 131.15, no tuning of component changes since the 10.51 @ 130.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

awsome times. what was the DA on your recent pass?
Old 03-23-2007, 11:53 AM
CARTEK Racing

judging by experience, as I said before, it was in the neighborhood of -700 to -800.

The air was great, but DA is effected more by temp then Barometric pressure, and the temps were still around 42 to 43 degrees as a warm front was moving in, Thursday morning I went to school in a shot sleeved ****, it was like 65F.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn, it must be nice to have that kind of DA. i ran my car last weekend and the DA was between 5500 - 6000! only made two motor passes with the best of the two being 11.9.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:47 PM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by algws6
damn, it must be nice to have that kind of DA. i ran my car last weekend and the DA was between 5500 - 6000! only made two motor passes with the best of the two being 11.9.

I hear that a lot, but aside from time and money there is nothing stopping anyone from running in NJ or anywhere else on the east coast with low altitude tracks in the fall or spring.

A buddy of mine lived in El Paso wile in the Army, he had a riced out 3rd Gen Eclipse, I always made fun or him about it. He hated the high altitude track in El Paso, but a year or two ago he moved to Florida and now runs his rice rocket in Bradington. LOL

It's not my fault I live next to Englishtown, Atco, Cecil, and MIR.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:28 PM
TECH Resident

Saw your post on LS1GTO - again, extraordinarily impressive. Quick question for you....is your T56 modified?

On the DA....I pulled up the weather for Wednesday at www.wunderground.com, and plugged the numbers into a DA calculator. Don't know when exactly your runs were made, so I chose 3 times: 6 pm, 8 pm, and 10 pm. Here are the results:

6pm: 37F, 48%, 30.65 ( ), DA: -2169
8pm: 37F, 60%, 30.63, DA: -2135
10pm: 39F, 56%, 30.60, DA: -1995

It's good to race in NJ in the spring!

Once again - awesome runs.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
Saw your post on LS1GTO - again, extraordinarily impressive. Quick question for you....is your T56 modified?

On the DA....I pulled up the weather for Wednesday at www.wunderground.com, and plugged the numbers into a DA calculator. Don't know when exactly your runs were made, so I chose 3 times: 6 pm, 8 pm, and 10 pm. Here are the results:

6pm: 37F, 48%, 30.65 ( ), DA: -2169
8pm: 37F, 60%, 30.63, DA: -2135
10pm: 39F, 56%, 30.60, DA: -1995

It's good to race in NJ in the spring!

Once again - awesome runs.
The TAG weather station that day read -800 for the da.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:44 PM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by robz*
The TAG weather station that day read -800 for the da.
Correct, also the temp was 42F and barometer was falling. Also don't forget that ambient air temps at a weather station 50' off the ground on top of a building 10 miles away are not the same as the air temp and pressure 2' above the ground on the titrating line where hot cars have been running all night, heating up the track and diluting the O2 content of the air with their exhaust. I have used internet calculators to check DA hundreds of times and they are always close to 75% or 100% better then what a hand held weather stations says at the track.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:34 PM
TECH Resident

The barometer was indeed falling that day - but even at its lowest, it was almost 30.60 in/hg (SLP). A standard sea level pressure is 29.92 in/hg. Also, standard temp at sea level is 59F, and as you mentioned above, because temperature changes more rapidly than pressure (especially diurnally), it has the biggest influence on DA.

If there was a 10 mph wind at the track, exhaust gases from cars would have been whisked away very quickly. Even if they weren't, it would be that way at every track, every time, for everybody, regardless of the weather conditions. Further, none of that would register on any instrument used for determining DA.

Raising the temp to 42F would have lowered the DA to ~-1700 on the 10 PM reading.

Weather instruments at airports are typically at 6ft above ground level. Certainly the weather readings I quoted above are NOT the exact same as they are at the track, but they do give a very good idea of the general air conditions in the area. In short, it was pretty close to as a good a day (DA wise) that you will ever see at any track in the US (below freezing temps tend to be bad for the burnout box ).

Finally, I have a portable weather station I take to the track too (Kestral 4000), and completely understand what you are saying. Also, I'm a Meteorologist, and understand the importance of taking accurate measurements the right way (out of the sun, in the wind, away from your body, outside the racecar trailer, etc), and insuring instruments are calibrated on a regular basis (how many racers calibrate their barometers before they go out?). Though I don't check it all the time, I have gone back and checked logbook readings from my DA entries and compared them to the nearest reporting station. It is never exactly the same, but it is usually quite close - within a couple hundred feet.

My friend....I'm taking nothing away from your run - all your numbers are extremely impressive. I am simply stating that the air was incredibly good that evening, and Lord knows I've taken advantage of similar situations.

Bob

PS....would you mind if I asked if your T56 is modified? If so, may I ask how and from where? Thanks.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:46 PM
Staging Lane

Robz : Your telling me that 3.42 in my trans are like 4.56 in a reg. t56. I hope you were kidding. I'm sorry I choose to take it easy on my car (25 yrs old just got married building a house) Plus my wife would shoot me if I broke anything . I just wanted to see ball park figure.

I would bet if you guys came down here in the south you would be a least .2 and 2 mph off the times you run up north.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:05 AM
CARTEK Racing

Bob,
I understand your explanation, and as a Private Pilot I too know how to calculate DA and what is involved in doing so, maybe not as well as a meteorologist, but never the less enough to know what a hand held weather station is telling me. I agree, the weather was awesome. My transmission is stock with the exception of a steel 3-4 shift fork. A few years ago I thought I broke it, I tore it down to see that nothing was wrong with it. CARTEK had a steel 3-4 shift for so I put it in the transmission when I assembled it. Everything else, syncro's, gears, shafts, bearings and what ever else is inside that thing are original with 65K miles on them. I even learned to drive stick on that transmission. Stalling it 24 times on the way home from the dealer, my mom reminds me of that on a regular basis.

Brad,
I am 24 and finishing up Architecture school whats your point with the age thing? Braking parts is all in the game of drag racing and putting up good ET's. As the old phrase says, 'if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen' Saying you are not running the numbers we are simply because you don't want to brake is a very poor excuse and one you might want to keep to yourself. Rob and I had a good laugh about it when we read it. If I am going to say that you have not proven your package at the track [which I have not yet] it is a simple statement of fact, the reason for you not having ET's to back up your HP are rather irrelevant. Rob is wrong in saying that 3.42+MN12 = 4.56+M6 but you do have slightly more gearing so that helps you off the line. Who cares? If you don't want to brake, I respect that, but if Rob says you do not have ET's to back up your HP numbers there is no need to get defensive and begin to explain yourself. Rob is simply stating an observation. I don't have money to fix parts, I cant get out of work, I have a cold, what ever the reason is, if you don't have the time slip, then your don't have the ET to back up the HP. Smokinstorm made time to go to the track, and he risks braking parts as well, yet I cant say anything to him because he is in the 10's with a good MPH as he should have.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:19 AM
10 Second Club

what all did you rip out of the car to have a raceweight of 3300 with you in it? pretty bad azz especially since you're having fun banging gears down all the way.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:24 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01
Bob,
I understand your explanation, and as a Private Pilot I too know how to calculate DA and what is involved in doing so, maybe not as well as a meteorologist, but never the less enough to know what a hand held weather station is telling me. I agree, the weather was awesome. My transmission is stock with the exception of a steel 3-4 shift fork. A few years ago I thought I broke it, I tore it down to see that nothing was wrong with it. CARTEK had a steel 3-4 shift for so I put it in the transmission when I assembled it. Everything else, syncro's, gears, shafts, bearings and what ever else is inside that thing are original with 65K miles on them. I even learned to drive stick on that transmission. Stalling it 24 times on the way home from the dealer, my mom reminds me of that on a regular basis.
Tks for the info. The T56 I had in my old 99 T/A was pretty nice, though I never really pushed it. The one in my 04 Cobra was notchy as hell and would have NEVER shifted decently at 7000 rpm. For track use, I'm not at all fond of the T56, so I'm mightely impressed with your accomplishments rowing a basically stock unit.

I'm sure you know that there are places now that will modify T56s for strength...at your power level...its only a matter of 'when', not if.

Good luck - and good job!
Bob

PS....if you want to run a number, you can't be afraid of breaking parts. Simple as that.

Quick Reply: Cartek 4x H/c = 10.41 @ 131.15