Cartek 4x H/c = 10.41 @ 131.15

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 01:32 PM
CARTEK Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Mike
Ease up a little Alex. You are getting very defensive This is only a debate, we can all do without the personal attacks.

but its so much fun Mike!
Old 03-27-2007, 01:32 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Correction factors for DA and altitude?

We all agree that a substantially lower DA increases power output.
We all agree that a higher power output can/usually does hurt traction both at launch and during shifts.
We all agree that wind conditions can (positively or negatively) affect track times/MPH.

How do these "correction factors" that try to correlate/equalize one car running in TX (or FL or NC or....) to one running in NJ, MD, PA etc account for
1) the traction lost due to the car making more 'DA power' and ALSO the traction GAINS that the one running in supposedly worse air (remember, less power) gets
2) headwind/tailwind
3) driver error
4) overall track prep

Temps/DA obviously play a role in track times but let's not get carried away with the absolutes and finite results. I have found that there are even slight variances in the quality of air among even two similar very low DA days, I've run consistenly quicker/faster at -1050 feet than I did at -1800 feet all else (car set up, sixty foots, raceweight etc.) being equal. If simply running in negative DA were the sole reason why a car went faster then there is no way that a naturally aspirated car should go slower at 750 feet lower right?
SO many factors contribute to what can be called good air and to good track results, there is no way a simple correction can accurately account for all of them.

As for WS6 T/A's passes, I know what the air was like here last Wednesday and I was actually there when he ran the 10.47 on a warm Saturday, I too was shocked that he ran ETs/MPH so close together (on a worse sixty foot no less) even though the difference in DA was so big.
Congrats again Alex.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by silverbeast
You cant tell him ****... he already knows everything
This "air" debate goes back for years.. probably years before that!

I think that enviornmental factors DO play a role in E/T's- but not as pronounced as is often portrayed here. Again, soooo many factors (gas, tune, traction, reaction times, driver ability, power, torque, and even little things like motor oil- can make a difference.

Every once in a while, it ALL comes together.. as it has for Alex and Pete.

When I worked 4-12pm and would drive my Formula home, the air would be exactly what the car wanted.. you could literally feel it in 2nd gear.

This is probably annoying to Alex, Pete and Big Mike (all have/had Cartek set-ups) and many others who would post up #'s only to hear the "mineshaft-air" caveat.

Ohhh.. and Alex..Roman Helmet?!?! Don't tell me- I don't want to know.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:59 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01
Really? Oh I bed to differ. And what should I recognize? You think the ONLY reason the car went so fast is because of air? Not because of my driving? Not because of CARTEK ability to make an awesome H/C setup?

You're right... it's all air...
You can read my posts above, or I will quote them here again for you...

Originally Posted by J-Rod
Again, I'd like to be clear.

I do not doubt for one second that your car is a very strong very fast car.
I do not doubt for one second that you are a good driver.
I do not doubt for one second that your ran the numbers you posted up.
My point is a simple one. Adventageous weather conditions played a part in your time, I guess the point of contention is how much the weahter played a role in your times. If nothing else we will simply have to agree to disagree.

That is the dumbest thing I ever heard off. That is the same as when silverbeast said "I know I only have a 3" ***** and in America that is tiny, but in China im HUGE!"
Again, this has come up on forums since there are so many "internet racers". People want to be "top dog". Its really not fair to basha shop in Denver for the packages they put out, and the track times they run when they never get adventageous wether conditions. So, the topic has come up on this and other sites before. You may not like it, but it is currently done to correct for record runs in organizations like NHRA when they run in locations like Colorado.

Really? SO the weather station of both Englishtown and up to 3 other racers are all off the same amount... J-Rob, you must have the only calibrated weather station in the whole of the United States...
I can only cite the relevant weather data, and simply question the deviation between the two.

I've only seen Cartek cars in person one time. I will cite Brett's car as an exmaple. At that time I believe he had gone a best of a 10.55 in negative DA conditions similar to the one we see you ran in. He came to a track where the DA started at around 0 and climbed in to the slightly positive ranges (I don't have the weather data handy, but I can get it if need be). Anyhow, I think he made approximately 30 passes that day. His best passes were in the 10.70 range.

His car ran strong, he was a fantastic driver, he drove his car well. But, his car didn't run the same record times it did in better weather.
Does that negate his 10.55, No.
Does it somehow diminish his accomplishments, No.
Point is, weather plays a role, good bad or otherwise...

Again, you can choose to disagree with me if you like. We may simply have to agree to disagree on this.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
SO many factors contribute to what can be called good air and to good track results, there is no way a simple correction can accurately account for all of them.
Concur completely. I guess I would only add that there is more power-making potential with lower DAs, due simply to the increase in density.

Good discussion here, for the most part.
Bob
Old 03-27-2007, 05:50 PM
11 Second Club

Congrats again Alex. Just for the record, I think something similar happened to Matt with the GTO. They all said he wouldnt duplicate his magical Atco times in FL etc. He may not have quite duplicated his 10 second pass, but he did DRIVE his car to FLORIDA and WIN the event.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:59 PM
11 Second Club

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=badgto
Old 03-27-2007, 06:23 PM
9 Second Club

I'd like to mention that Alex's #'s were run through mufflers that passed the tough Etown noise restrictions.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:00 AM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by tektrans
I'd like to mention that Alex's #'s were run through mufflers that passed the tough Etown noise restrictions.
That does not matter Mark, what matters is that we ran in negative DA air, and apparently CARTEK has the monopoly on good air, no one else can run in it.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:16 PM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Props to ya! My car seems to hook better in worse air, when the air gets below -500' my 60's start to suffer. Its been 135.x mph in -900' air but the 60's are .17 slower. Smokin combo for sure!
Phil
Old 03-28-2007, 08:18 PM
Staging Lane

That does not matter Mark, what matters is that we ran in negative DA air, and apparently CARTEK has the monopoly on good air, no one else can run in it.

Thank God I went to Cartek then! I wouldn't wanna miss out on that good air.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:41 PM
Q
TECH Enthusiast

So..did he run the time or not? If he did...then great!
Old 03-31-2007, 12:30 AM
Staging Lane

Congrats. I concur on Richmond gears having no place on a street car and crap. 4.56 gears + sticky tires...I'm sure you had fun giving 2nd gear throttle blip demos to friends!!! 30-70 mph must FEEL better than 800-1000+ hp twin turbo LSx buildups with stock gear ratios.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:57 AM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by Q
So..did he run the time or not? If he did...then great!
No I made them aaaaaaaaaaal up

Of coarse I ran the time....

I'm Alex
Old 03-31-2007, 08:59 AM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by defcon(ls)1
Congrats. I concur on Richmond gears having no place on a street car and crap. 4.56 gears + sticky tires...I'm sure you had fun giving 2nd gear throttle blip demos to friends!!! 30-70 mph must FEEL better than 800-1000+ hp twin turbo LSx buildups with stock gear ratios.
I have a 275/50-17 M&G Drag radial that I use on the street. Roughly 28" tall. In second gear, anything above 4000rpm, just creates a nice smoke screen for the car behind me.

I don't know exactly why but with all the LSx cars I have driven, on the street, 3rd gear feels the best. Pull like a freight train!
Old 03-31-2007, 08:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by J-Rod
Congrats on your results.

But I will say that Negative DA has a huge effect on power output. Its simple physics. Thats not to take anything away from your time or you car's performance. But I would hope we can all agree that negative DA is "free HP".

Also, for a handheld station to read correctly it needs to be calibrated properly. Many folks don't calibrate their stations. That may be fine as long as you use the same station every time, you can keep your tuneup the same. But, if you are looking at a correction factor, it throws it off. Your -800 number seems rather conservative based on the relevant data.

In my experience you can't say its all temp. Its a combination. It all comes down to dense, cool, dry air makes big power, period. Atco has the advantage of having crazy barometric pressure unlike any area in the U.S. that I've raced. Cold damp (high humidity) air won't make good power. Cold dry air with no barometric pressure (like in Denver) won't make good power either. High baro is free supercharging.

We get "good" air in Houston, but nothing like Atco. We might see "freak" winter weather where we get 30.3 or 30.4. If you couple that with a North wind to keep the humidty down we can see good negative DA. We keep meticulous logs, and run a weather station as well.

If you get mid 40's and 30.6 or 30.7 that is halfway dry, that is "mineshaft" air. Keep in mind that DA like can yield +8-9% more crank HP. If you don't believe that, go dyno a car on a dyno jet and compare the uncorrected numbers over a zero, or positive DA day. We're talking +40-50HP I'm not saying your car doesn't perform well, but the weather does have some effect.

If you want a correlating event, why do all the Cartek cars that set a record do so in weather like that? Why were folks setting records and personal bests? Simple physics. There have been several track days or good weather days where cars at Atco have put down some incredible numbers. Its not to say the cars didn't run the number. Its just seems to me folks want to ignore the fact the weather has some effect on it.

As for the car running the same speed in different air. Wheelspin will increase trap speed.

Anyway, congrats on your combo. I'd expect you have some more time left in the car, and we can expect to see you improve even more. Best of luck to you on running even lower Et's....
Your wrong on a few accounts.. The da on that day was a calibrated -800 within 1 hour of his pass. The guy with the Tag that day is a serious racer and knows exactly how to operate the instrument. J.ROD, give credit where it's due. Atco gets no better air than any of the tracks near sea level in the Northeast. It's ignorant and a bit "whiny" on your part to say otherwise. The guy ran a great number, posted it, and the da. Many tracks get -1000+ da's including Texas,Tennesse, and elsewhere. I'll give Dever, Florida an excuse. Stop being so hung up on atco. There are better tracks around.I like 2 Maryland tracks better. Also, Etown is notorious for poor prep. With a normal 60' time Alex would have been in the 10.30's. Everyone knows air helps and that why we post da's. I'm surprised you went into so much detail to explain why he went so fast. And Brent's street car that was driven 1000 miles to the event ran .15 off his best that day,no? I think his 60' times were off that day. Not many people run those times in street cars on any tracks especially back in the day when you guys were running older technology.

Last edited by robz*; 04-01-2007 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:08 PM
TECH Regular

Look needle dick, i didnt say your times werent real. i said you will not repeat those runs in the air we race in 90% of the time. I wish our track had that kind of DA but it dosent. I also said congrats on your setup, but as for me coming up north and running my car...maybe i will get a chance to one day. If i do i will bet my car runs the best it ever has.good day
Who cares about the air you race in? Nothing to do with these runs. When you run, post your times and the da and leave it at that.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:17 PM
TECH Regular

I dont give a **** where you live or what times you run. I was just trying to help you understand the affects of good air verses bad air. Since you were downplaying as having no effect or not much at all. But you will find out yourself. We will see if your one of the dumbasses that post up in the middle of the summer saying " somethings wrong with my car, its slowed down 3-4 mph whats wrong??
Thanks for teaching us about DA!

Old 04-01-2007, 08:53 AM
TECH Regular

No I made them aaaaaaaaaaal up

Of coarse I ran the time....

I'm Alex

I guess that proves it was a great run if the guy in the other lane(same day,same time,same conditions) has a 427 heads and cam c6Z with 100shot and ran a similar time. He's not Cartek so his car is not allowed the great air.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:07 PM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by robz*
I guess that proves it was a great run if the guy in the other lane(same day,same time,same conditions) has a 427 heads and cam c6Z with 100shot and ran a similar time. He's not Cartek so his car is not allowed the great air.
When they found out that his car was not worked on at CARTEK, E-Town placed a midget on his hood who blew hot, moist air into his airbox.

Quick Reply: Cartek 4x H/c = 10.41 @ 131.15