Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best drag tire and street use

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 06:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best drag tire and street use

I am looking for a good tire I can drag with and use on my daily, I wont be driving it in the rain or snow etc etc..... I am thinkin micky tomsons
Old 10-28-2008, 06:55 PM
9 Second Club

nittos dr will last the longest on the street. if the only mods you have are in your sig. they will work fine for your power level.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:52 PM
12 Second Club

I am planing for a lil more power 400RWHP is my goal by Christmas
Old 10-28-2008, 09:02 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mickeys are by far the best radial, but they won't last as long as a BFG or Nitto. You could always grab a pair of used 16 x 8 wheels and put the good stickies on them.

Derek
Old 10-29-2008, 07:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not found a DR that will last for more than 10-15k miles on the street.....So I use Hoosier QTPs at the track and street tires on the street.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:00 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any tire you drive on the street will decease their effectivness at the track. No matter what tire you post. This is due to putting heat cycles and using up the tire's stickyness. As well as normal road wear.

Consistancy will certainly degrade and when I go to the track I want my driving error to be the only factor in a blown run. Some have posted about 60 foots getting worse. I say its due to the tire going away.

Go to the track enough you set up a proceedure or regiment. You know the tire psi and your burnout technique etc etc. Well if your tire has so many heat cycles on it, it takes a longer burnout to achieve the same stickyness, and if your not aware of this, you may be chasing ghosts, trying to find why your 60 foot is going away.

I've done it all and in the end, I toss a set of bias plys in the back with a jack, 4-way, and a socket/ratchet and change the tires there. A pain, yes, but the tires are used at the track and get only so many runs and I will get maximum effectivness.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Any tire you drive on the street will decease their effectivness at the track. No matter what tire you post. This is due to putting heat cycles and using up the tire's stickyness. As well as normal road wear.

Consistancy will certainly degrade and when I go to the track I want my driving error to be the only factor in a blown run. Some have posted about 60 foots getting worse. I say its due to the tire going away.

Go to the track enough you set up a proceedure or regiment. You know the tire psi and your burnout technique etc etc. Well if your tire has so many heat cycles on it, it takes a longer burnout to achieve the same stickyness, and if your not aware of this, you may be chasing ghosts, trying to find why your 60 foot is going away.

I've done it all and in the end, I toss a set of bias plys in the back with a jack, 4-way, and a socket/ratchet and change the tires there. A pain, yes, but the tires are used at the track and get only so many runs and I will get maximum effectivness.
I would agree. Also....for your tire choice for the track, if you do decide to go with a different tire than for the street.........is your car a auto or stick.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:25 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by subhumanzz
nittos dr will last the longest on the street. if the only mods you have are in your sig. they will work fine for your power level.
Negative. I ran nitto DRs on ym car for a while then switched to BFG DR's. Big difference. They last the same amount on the street, but I had significantly more traction with the BFG's over the nittos. Especially when the tread wears off. No tread nittos = slippery as opposed to BFG's which I kept running on the street until the wires came through, never had a traction issue with them. the nittos started losing traction as time progressed.

Regardless, now I use Mickey 275/60/15's. Much better than both of them as far as traction. not so much on tread wear. If you DD your car then I would go with the BFG's. They will last you a while as long as youre not burning rubber everywhere.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:41 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ET Street radial hands down. I went the fastest at the track with these out of MT et drag and BFG and ET radial hooked the best on the street. Its a win win situation. They only last about 5-8k miles though.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Frans96SS
ET Street radial hands down. I went the fastest at the track with these out of MT et drag and BFG and ET radial hooked the best on the street. Its a win win situation. They only last about 5-8k miles though.

definitely best traction. I suggested BFG's because of treadwear. Lasted me about 12-13k miles. I definitely am happier with the ET Streets though.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:07 AM
12 Second Club

I ran nitto 555rs and still waiting to do the swap to the MT's. They are good street tires but lack at the track with any kind of power to them
Old 10-29-2008, 02:27 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 06black6spd
I ran nitto 555rs and still waiting to do the swap to the MT's. They are good street tires but lack at the track with any kind of power to them
dito I used to run nitto 555r when I was bolton and couldnt get them to hook up but the bfg`s were awesome but didnt last nearly as long