Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Requesting some pics of carb'd 4th-gen racecars

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 10:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Requesting some pics of carb'd 4th-gen racecars

Well, I've got a Super Victor intake and Holley 4150 style carb w/1" spacer sitting on the mock-up motor right now... It looks as if that combo would fit under my hood just fine, and what I'm looking at shouldn't be too much different dimensionally (although I've pretty much decided I'll need a 4500 Dominator style carb, but will mount it sideways).

I'll start trimming on the cowl in the morning and get the carb to fit, then test fit the hood (with a 2x4 under the carb just be to measure an extreme...

Darren, I was initially planning an SB2.2 combo, but after mocking up the heads (I have a pair of the P-Ayr plastic replicas), I can't imagine the headers that would have to be fabricated for it. Are they as bad as it seems they would be?
Old 09-17-2003, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

For you player's looking to step up your program I have a buddy that has a 358ci SB2RR motor complete and fresh with no passes for sale. Motor made close to 900hp NA on the dyno. Motor has always been NA combination. I do beleave he wants $18,000.00 complete from top to bottom with dyno sheets.
Old 09-18-2003, 12:25 AM
TECH Resident

Hey George, Here is a old picture of my engine. With my heads (SB2.2's) a carb adapter, and the same Throttle Body Kurtis has (force fuel injection 2000cfm). It basically fills up the cowl on my Glastek 4''.

Darren, what are the two AN fittings on the front lower sides of the valve covers for? Is it for oil drain straight back to the pan? Just curious, thanks!
Old 09-18-2003, 12:28 AM
Teching In

George, The headers weren't too bad, Just called up Lemons Headers in Cali and had him make me a set 2"-2 1/8" primaries with a 4" collector. The fit is PERFECT. I believe my set was the first and only set he had made for those heads in a 4th gen chassis. Price was ok I suppose @ $1100 uncoated. I had the intentions of doing them myself till I mocked up the engine like yourself and saw what little room there was. LOL! If your interested I have a standard 23* Dart single plane intake that I was going to use on my last engine that I'd sell right. Its brand new and has the 4500 dominator flange.

Old 09-18-2003, 12:31 AM
Teching In

Mike, Those are valve spring oilers. I feed oil to those fitting and in the rail of the covers are small holes at each spring that sprays a mist of oil on them to help keep them cool. Its not that big of a thing to do in drag racing since the springs dont really see the heat a roundy round engine does. I went ahead and used them just cause I paid for them and I figured it couldnt hurt with springs that have around a 1000lbs open pressure...
Old 09-18-2003, 01:03 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

darren I assume you run shafts...wouldnt some T&D's w/ spring oiler option been lil easier???
Old 09-18-2003, 06:47 AM
TECH Junkie

If your interested I have a standard 23* Dart single plane intake that I was going to use on my last engine that I'd sell right. Its brand new and has the 4500 dominator flange.
The problem is that I'm really starting to lean towards the 18deg. stuff right now, so that intake wouldn't work for me...
Old 09-18-2003, 08:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Nice pics!!
Old 09-18-2003, 08:58 AM
Teching In

Joe, Actually when I switched from my Jesel's to the T&D's I went with the oiler option. I guess I'm alittle over kill on valve spring oiling right now lol!
Old 09-18-2003, 10:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Well, the cowl is cut, and a Dominator should fit... Things are still really rough looking, but here's how it looks clearance wise with a Super Victor intake and 4150 series carb turned sideways...

I still don't know if the hood fits yet...
Old 09-18-2003, 10:36 AM
TECH Junkie

With the carb turned sideways, and 2.5" worth of spacers underneath it, the 2" cowl hood just clears it, but it does fit! It's really close to the fiberglass reinforcement brace that runs lenghtways across the hood, but I think I can cut that out and add a thinner steel brace a little farther up the hood, so it won't be an issue.

As soon as I get my radiator mount fabbed up, it's time to start prepping/painting the engine compartment.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:53 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe, Actually when I switched from my Jesel's to the T&D's I went with the oiler option. I guess I'm alittle over kill on valve spring oiling right now lol!
sounds like me with my pressurized oiler for the wrist pins..dont feel bad
Old 09-18-2003, 01:56 PM
8 Second Club

Are there any disadvantages with running the carb sideways? That would give me so much room.
Old 09-18-2003, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

George, let me tell you to go with those 18* heads. I really wished i knew a little more about stuff when i put my motor together.

The 23* valvetrain is a big plus with 18* heads and the pistons are off the shelf items. Even outta the box numbers are a damn good price for what you pay for. Plus you could just give them to a porter and just get a better valvejob and some bowl work for cheap and probably end up around $2500 or so and that is what i have into my Track 1 23* heads
Old 09-18-2003, 07:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Are there any disadvantages with running the carb sideways? That would give me so much room.
From what I understand, there's no disadvantage, but you do have to install wedge-type floats (like a circle track car uses) so you don't have any problems... Also, the intake would have to be welded up and re-drilled, since a 4150 series square bore carb isn't truely square. A dominator is, and can bolt on either way (I'm pretty sure of that, anyway).
Old 09-18-2003, 07:54 PM
TECH Junkie

George, let me tell you to go with those 18* heads. I really wished i knew a little more about stuff when i put my motor together.

The 23* valvetrain is a big plus with 18* heads and the pistons are off the shelf items. Even outta the box numbers are a damn good price for what you pay for. Plus you could just give them to a porter and just get a better valvejob and some bowl work for cheap and probably end up around $2500 or so and that is what i have into my Track 1 23* heads
That's what I'm really leaning towards right now. Brodix has quite a few versions of their 18deg. head, from a basic bare as-cast, to a fully assembled, CNC ported "bad-boy." I'll probably end up somewhere between.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Darren and Kurtis...

what are you guys using for motor mounts/k-member? I see George is using a motor plate.

Also George, do you mind me asking why you went SBC? I'm on edge about doing it as well just from a monetary stand point. And since i'm not too familiar with electrical wiring of the car itself, do you still have headlights/brakelights/horn/etc... and that is seperate from the whole LS1/trans PCM correct? Thanks

Chris
Old 09-18-2003, 11:43 PM
8 Second Club

Cool I might give it a try. I run a dominator
Old 09-19-2003, 12:05 AM
Teching In

Chris, I run a off the shelf BMR unit. Not too bad quality. Only issue I have with it is the motor mount are not square so the engine wanted to sit alittle twisted. After alittle tweaking its all good now... I will be putting a motor plate in mine as soon as possible though.

Quick Reply: Requesting some pics of carb'd 4th-gen racecars