Sponsored by:

Requesting some pics of carb'd 4th-gen racecars

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 08:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Requesting some pics of carb'd 4th-gen racecars

Post 'em up if you've got any...

I'm trying to figure out if my current 2" cowl hood will be up to the task or not... I'm tentatively planning on a high-rise single plane intake/4150 style carb and I'm not sure if it will fit under a 2" cowl or not.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:28 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Requesting some pics of carb'd 4th-gen racecars

george you should clear even with a 1" spacer
Old 09-16-2003, 10:50 PM
Teching In

I don't have any pics, but I have seen a few. I saw one recently that was running in the PRO cheap street class. It was a 93-97 style formula. It all fit under the stock hood, no cowl. So a 2" hood would be fine. There's no room for any kind of air filter. That car had a carbed SBC with vortec style heads and a single plane intake. The cowl area was cut out for the carb. What do you plan for mounting the motor? Does anyone make a bolt in K member for the swap or are you planning a motor plate? The formula I saw had what looked like some tubing welded to the stock K member, with what kind of looked like solid mounts welded to the top of the tubing.
Old 09-17-2003, 02:38 AM
TECH Regular

George, part of it may depend on the intake you run. Mine BARELY clears the 4" cowl on my car, but thats using a Brodix 1801 Intake (7.875" tall), 1.25" Plate, and a 4500 Style TB.

Most intakes aren't quite as tall as mine, and w/o the plate, you'd probably be in good shape.

Good luck!
Old 09-17-2003, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

George,

If you hold off for 3 more weeks I will have a picture of a VFN costume arched hood with a cowl streached all the way up the windshield. This is supposed to clear a sheet metal EFI intake on a short deck BB Chevy. The hood is very much like the same hood Mike Bowman is running on his new turbo car but designed for a F-body. Ramando at VFN said said the mold will be done in 3 to 4 weeks. I will post some pictures if you like. I would think the price will be competitive seeing I paid for mold design.LOL!
Old 09-17-2003, 11:41 AM
9 Second Club

kurt have you cut the rear bracing out the hood ???you should have more room, My TB is level with bottom of windshield and I have 4 " from top of tb to the top of the 4.5 glasstek hood I run...
Old 09-17-2003, 12:39 PM
TECH Regular

Joe,

My 4" Glasstek cowl doesn't really have any bracing under the cowl area that I've noticed.

Mostly what comes close is you'll notice the linkage is on the front of the TB, and that armature is very close to the hood, as it sits up higher the the TB itself. The rest of the TB has plenty of room, as its back further where the cowl is at its full 4".
Old 09-17-2003, 12:52 PM
9 Second Club

maybe because I run a ram air style hood so the arc of the cowl is higher in the front...most likely why...makes sense now
Old 09-17-2003, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Damn Kurtis! That is one nice looking setup! Very clean
Old 09-17-2003, 01:29 PM
TECH Junkie

I think the only way I'm going to know for sure is to mock everything up...

I'm looking at Brodix 18 degree heads right now, along with a matching intake manifold (but I can't find any dimensions on the intake...). I have found some dimensions for some Edelbrock intakes, and most of the taller single plane intakes are around 6.5" tall, so I'm using that figure as a "guesstimate" for now. The picture below shows a block bolted in the car, with some awesome 1969 307cid heads and cast iron intake sitting on it (those heads would make way too much power, so they're only for mock-up purposes ). The 2x4 laid across the carb flange brings the total height of the intake to ~6.5". It looks like I could probably squeeze a 4150 carb on there (mounted sideways) and not have to trim but a little of the cowl, and it may fit under my 2" VFN hood...

I'll just have to borrow a Super Victor intake and junk carb to find out for sure.

FWIW, I've started some of the paint work on the car (I'm changing colors to something more "wild"), and need to know if I'll have to obtain a different hood or not since I don't want to paint the one I have if I can't use it on the car.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Damn Kurtis! That is one nice looking setup! Very clean
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that... Damn clean looking engine compartment K!!!! Absolutely gorgeous!
Old 09-17-2003, 02:23 PM
TECH Regular

Thx guys. That pics a couple weeks old, it looks somewhat more filled out w/ most of the items in the bay installed now. We've been planning/building this thing for about 2 years now, so we've had plenty of time to make sure everything has been put together so it will work well, be easy to work on, and of course look nice!

George FYI, the castings on my motor are Brodix 18X's. The is room for improvement w/ a GM 18* casting or even some of Brodix's other 18* castings but it just depends on what you need to do. I like these w/ their smallish ports, and we were able to get some pretty damn impressive numbers out of em.

Oh and George, you're right, those 307 heads have way too big of intake port volume, you'll definetly slow down w/ those. Better get something smaller.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:13 PM
Teching In

Hey George, Here is a old picture of my engine. With my heads (SB2.2's) a carb adapter, and the same Throttle Body Kurtis has (force fuel injection 2000cfm). It basically fills up the cowl on my Glastek 4''.

Old 09-17-2003, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Whoever said internet f-body racers werent serious about their cars, was LYING!

DAMN fine looking machine gentlemen!
Old 09-17-2003, 05:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW, Kurtis and Darren, you guys are making me rethink the whole LS1 buildup in my car! I should go SBC just to get a nice looking motor like those!!
Old 09-17-2003, 05:34 PM
TECH Regular

LOL, its funny how Darren and I both ended up with the same TB and linkage stuff. I know he hasn't seen mine before (First time I've posted any pictures of it online), and I figured mine out after mocking it up and going through some catalogs.

Great minds think alike eh Darren.
Old 09-17-2003, 05:36 PM
TECH Regular

Darren,

Are thos #20 Fittings you welded on to the Waterpump? Thats Trick......
Old 09-17-2003, 06:29 PM
7 Second Club

hey George, don't rule out those 307 castings. My nova screamed with the 200 hp versions on the original motor that made way for my slow 350.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:35 PM
Teching In

Kurtis, Yeah I had to laugh when I saw how you did your throttle linkage. Guess great minds do think alike! LOL!

Those are -16 fittings that I welded to the waterpump and t-stat housing. Worked out pretty well. The radiator is a cross flow style so both fittings are on the pass. side.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:16 PM
9 Second Club

whats real funny I been running that setup for 3 years...I just run reg. ole 23* heads though They flow a lil bit of air...

Quick Reply: Requesting some pics of carb'd 4th-gen racecars