Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vats

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008 | 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Vats

ok cutting some wires off the interior of the car and i was wondering what i would have to do if i took of the vats. In the past i had a problem with it because one of the wires that goes to were you put in the electronic key thing was cut off. One day while adjusting the clutch on of the wires came of (theres 4-6 wires that run to it) i think the brown one and what happened was that the car lost all power nothing would come on and it was complete dead. I have everythign of the car right now and see where the wire is loose and i followed all the wires ot a small plastic box where they end up. coming out of the box theres two fat wires only, a brown and a orange if i remember correctly, both run to two yellow wires that look exactly the same. It looks like this box just cuts off the power between those wires because the yellow wire is the same thickenss and everything. can i gut this vats **** off and connect those two wires together and be done with it?
Old 10-30-2008 | 12:41 PM
Launching!

I don't think the BCM will let the car start if you try to cut out VATS. I could be wrong though

I had a problem on my car with VATS because I changed steering columns. It wold crank but shut off. I just changed the pellet in my old key into the key with the steering column and it works fine
Old 10-30-2008 | 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by allmotor
I don't think the BCM will let the car start if you try to cut out VATS. I could be wrong though

I had a problem on my car with VATS because I changed steering columns. It wold crank but shut off. I just changed the pellet in my old key into the key with the steering column and it works fine

your engine bay look nice!!

damn thats what i dont want to go througth but cant seem to find anyone that has done this.
Old 10-30-2008 | 06:16 PM
8 Second Club

you can get rid of all the vats stuff. you just have to have it programmed out of the computer. i got rid of it on all my f-bodies. whenever i have any car tuned i just have the tuner get rid of it.
Old 10-30-2008 | 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 9sec93
you can get rid of all the vats stuff. you just have to have it programmed out of the computer. i got rid of it on all my f-bodies. whenever i have any car tuned i just have the tuner get rid of it.

so i just cut those two wires that come off that box and connect the two yellow ones together or take those out too?

if i cut it will it turn on or do i have to take my computer to the tuner, turn off the vats **** then take it back to my car inordoor to start?
Old 10-30-2008 | 09:12 PM
8 Second Club

yes the vats has to be turned off in the computer in order for it to start. then you can get rid of ALL the vats wires. i just run a new wire from the ignition cylinder to the starter. i believe it is a purple wire. just cut it coming out of the key cylinder and run a new wire to the starter from there. or what i did was just use the push button starter on my painless switch panel. nice and simple.
Old 10-31-2008 | 08:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 9sec93
yes the vats has to be turned off in the computer in order for it to start. then you can get rid of ALL the vats wires. i just run a new wire from the ignition cylinder to the starter. i believe it is a purple wire. just cut it coming out of the key cylinder and run a new wire to the starter from there. or what i did was just use the push button starter on my painless switch panel. nice and simple.
the vats is connect to two yellow wires.. well it looks like the same wire but the vats wires ( one black and one orange) connect to it, i guess i will need to keep it until it turns on then. btw where is teh ignition cylinder? I followed one of the yellow wires and it runs through the firewall and ends up on the fuse box in the engine bay that says started, i didnt get the chance to follow the other one.

by the way theres two different small boxes that I'm wondering if i could cut off. One says part # 10407669-0192 it has two small square plugs that connect to it, the other hangs off the top of where the dash goes theres wire from both sides that go to it it says 1218212641470. Finally theres a big relay of which i already cut three wires that the heater went to it and theres two left one big red that i followed and leads to where the **** is to turn on the lights and other is a small black that looks like ground. why would this red one go to the lights?
Old 10-31-2008 | 08:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

you can totally bypass it by grounding the starter relay directly (in the underhood fuse box)...I had to do that on my wife's z28 when VATS wouldn't let the car start...
Old 10-31-2008 | 12:47 PM
8 Second Club

there are ways to bypass it leaving it in there but you cant cut everything out until it is turned off in the computer. the vats sends a pulsed signal to the computer also enabling the fuel injectors. so without it completely the car will not run even if you hard wire the starter. the ignition cylinder or key cylinder is the part in the steering column where you put your key.

Quick Reply: Vats