Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how much weight does lexan all the way around drop???

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 11:49 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how much weight does lexan all the way around drop???

if you go to lexan on ALL windows to include windshield and hatch on a 4th gen camaro how much weight savings is that????

I'm trying to get my raceweight down to about 3000-3100 lbs.... My car currently weighs 3400 with me in it..... I pretty much have all the standard weight loss stuff. No HVAC, sheetmetal door panels, aerospace brakes, tubular front suspension, etc.... I have dual 4" spintech exhaust adding to the weight and 15lb bottle assy, doors underneath the panels still have side impact bars, mild steel 12 point cage.....

So it's actually pretty light at around 3220 without me in it.... i'd like to take at least another 200-250 lbs out of it...

I'm thinking lexan all the way around and a VFN fiberglass hatch would do it..... If I needed to pull more weight out of it I was thinking about gutting the doors underneath the sheetmetal door panels. how much weight can I pull out of the doors if I need to get it lighter????

And final ?, is how many race classes will I remove myself from if I do lexan??? I thought that lexan was safer but ppl were saying I will outlaw my car from a bunch of classes... I don't really race my car per se on a class basis but I would hate to not be able to compete somewhere cause I went with lexan.... thanks guys....
Old 10-31-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Regular

Bump, Very interested in the weight diffrence and Classes.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:07 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most people I know leave the front window glass because lexan will eventually get scratched no matter how careful you are with it.

......I know, I know, didn't answer either of your questions I'd start with the back 3 windows and see how much it helps, then go from thee.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:38 PM
9 Second Club

hmmmmm i was going to buy the scratch resistant MR80 stuff from VFN fiberglass... already molded and ready to go..... Like 770-800 bucks...
Old 10-31-2008, 01:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

funny i just called them they said you have to trim to fit ....but i agree i would do the 3 rear before the front ..were did you get your door panels ? i was going to go through wolfe
Old 10-31-2008, 02:23 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OutlawZ
hmmmmm i was going to buy the scratch resistant MR80 stuff from VFN fiberglass... already molded and ready to go..... Like 770-800 bucks...
Heard it still scratches....but again I just "heard". No experience.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:32 PM
9 Second Club

hmmmmm.... well it might scratch if you're not super careful but ALOT of ppl have it so it's gotta be somewhat scratch resistant....

ndsrfrd-I built my own doorpanels cause i have a friend who's a fabricator.... they look very similar to the wolfe panels.... I had them carpeted at a local stereo shop with the same stuff they use for speaker boxes to match my interior carpet. They came out GREAT.... i think they look better than the wolfe ones..
Old 10-31-2008, 02:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OutlawZ
hmmmmm.... well it might scratch if you're not super careful but ALOT of ppl have it so it's gotta be somewhat scratch resistant....

ndsrfrd-I built my own doorpanels cause i have a friend who's a fabricator.... they look very similar to the wolfe panels.... I had them carpeted at a local stereo shop with the same stuff they use for speaker boxes to match my interior carpet. They came out GREAT.... i think they look better than the wolfe ones..
sound awesome maybe some pic's also have you taken your airbags out center counsel , cruise , what have you really taken out cause im at 3000 ish and going for alot more
Old 10-31-2008, 03:20 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd use speedglass and only speedglass. Like I said in the other thread. Going to a pin on hatch and speedglass rear drops 70 lbs. The front windshield is a 18 lbs weight saving. I don't know how much the side windows are, but I doubt they are 60 lbs each.

If your doors are stock. I took 24 lbs out of my doors:
http://lsxextreme.com/showthread.php?t=833
That's a write up I did about all of it.

Quick Reply: how much weight does lexan all the way around drop???