Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Default "Stock" Suspension Discussion - PART 2

Continuation from this earlier thread:

Part 1 Discussion
Old 09-19-2003, 10:57 AM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: "Stock" Suspension Discussion - PART 2

Damn, you guys feel free to start a NEW post, this one is incredibly LONG.

Personally, I don't think ARE was planning on attending the event anyways (don't blame them with that long haul). This "conspiracy" just provides them with an excuse not to come.

I guess it doesn't really matter anymore. I know Wade was interested in going down, whether he fully intended to or not I'm not sure. I know they were very interested in racing Madman this time around. I really don't care about the past, that's so far behind it's old news. If Madman's been chasing ARE around to various tracks, then I'd be irritated too. Unfortunately I'm in no position to even question how all that went down. However, since Madman setup a race down at Thunder ARE would have the choice to show up or not show up. Case closed.

I can understand the financial hurt locker a trip from the North all the way South will cause many of us. East Side is going to find that out if they head down as many of us did last year. It was a hike for them to make it to Bowling Green, this one is going to make that seem like a small picnic. As one of the long haulers, this race will take a full week to go to from up here (two down, two there and two back). We did it straight through before and we simply couldn't enjoy the event as much as we would have liked. ARE is another couple hours further over. Fortunately I get to take that time out as vacation like many of us. For ARE, East Side and the small business owners here, anyone else up in the far North that is going down this race is going to really stall their ability to do business. Understandably this will be the same when the coin flips and those from the South make a trip up here somewhere. I hope there's at least that much understanding by most everyone. Any series we ever have will have to deal with this. It's certainly not any different in the NMCA or NMRA. I can understand that's the reason for the no show last year. Whatever they choose to do this year is up to them. Blame it on Madman, blame it on the distance, whatever.

As far as the cut frame rails, they are not cut. You can mock it up yourself by taking your lower control arm and flipping it over to the inside of the stock mount. Obviously the mounts are the only thing that matters when you do that as stuff has to move around a little. Hopefully ARE sends Jay some photos. Dave has explained it well, I don't know why most don't comprehend what's been done. But then again, I've seen it so I'll give you guys the benefit of the doubt on why you would like to see it too.

Paul made it pretty clear that next year the rules in the Outlaw class would be such that the ARE car as it sits wouldn't qualify. I guess I would like to see all of the races have the same opportunity through the end of the year. We did not have this dispute for Bowling Green. I think Texas was pretty obvious why it never came up (and to think that NPR is far away!). It would be nice to have a few (or a lot) beers down there and draft up the rules for next year. Keep them simple, stick to them from the beginning of the year and have some fun. I'll even concede the 4-link crap for now since there are only a couple of them. If they want to show up and go head to head on their own, we can work that out later.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: "Stock" Suspension Discussion - PART 2

We did not have this dispute for Bowling Green. I think Texas was pretty obvious why it never came up (and to think that NPR is far away!). It would be nice to have a few (or a lot) beers down there and draft up the rules for next year. Keep them simple, stick to them from the beginning of the year and have some fun. I'll even concede the 4-link crap for now since there are only a couple of them. If they want to show up and go head to head on their own, we can work that out later.
You are right in that no one questioned it in Bowling Green but I tell you what, if you didnt hear the talk about their suspension you must have been deaf. Or maybe it was all those test n tune passes you were making derty. LOL

It was quite the topic of conversation.
Old 09-19-2003, 01:42 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re:

Hey, new motor, new suspension, hell it was a brand new car and it was brand new when I started! I had to make some passes. The place was getting boring. I'm sure that there has always been plenty of conversation no matter where that car is.
Old 09-19-2003, 05:01 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re:

I'll meet ARE at any dyno in the U.S. to bet on which of our cars makes the most RWHP, but I have little chance against ARE at the strip, with my completely stock suspension and racing at 3600 lbs. w/driver.

Again, we need an unlimited class for run-what-you-brung cars, such as ARE. In which case I would back-half or mimi-tub my car.
Old 09-19-2003, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re:

I'll meet ARE at any dyno in the U.S. to bet on which of our cars makes the most RWHP, but I have little chance against ARE at the strip, with my completely stock suspension and racing at 3600 lbs. w/driver.

Again, we need an unlimited class for run-what-you-brung cars, such as ARE. In which case I would back-half or mimi-tub my car.
That would be a very interesting challenge, "The King of the Dyno Queen" . I think the ARE car is over 1000 RWHP, but you could up the pills to play . I wonder how long a dyno would last under that kind of challenge

I believe the ARE car is still overwieght for the OSCA True Street Class it runs in, it sits at around 3250 lbs in race trim. That extra wieght you carry, really hurts at this level.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re:

texas spring break race was 1900 miles we where set to go but date changed and I had a wedding I couldnt get out of
bowling green was 1100 miles we went
thunders race is 1500 miles i think and it will cost me 3500 to run that race with what it cost to send our people down
now we are going to run this race and then run and support all Ls1 tech races next year .
that is why alot of people are jumping all over these rules I think like we are it has nothing to do with are car but for us to run all the races next year i want rules (i said in the post that joe k wrote talking about this I dont care want the rules are just put it in writing and lets run with it )my biggest problam with cars like are's is where do you draw the line .You cant say grand father it in because that isnt really fair they dont do that in the nhra open a national dragster john force finds out about rules changes that happen in every weeks paper thats how fast they change so changing before a race is very common.we raced nmca pro street for 5 years and they would change rules during a race sometimes
so dont blame brian and jay the line had to be drawn,we need to keep the cars equal to the mass and there are 5-10 cars that run 9.00 to 9.40 so that the group that we need to go after as the top dogs.
I would really like to see everybody who has a opinion on this stuff including ARE to come to thunders race and work on some other rules for next year.this is the first step
Old 09-20-2003, 07:25 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Re:

Well, considering Madman/Billingsley are into chassis and suspension, its no surprise that they want to have an all-out battle to see who has the fastest stock-type suspended 3rd/4th gen f-body. Its their race, and I agree with their rules on suspension. They aren't any different from the stock-suspension class rules of several race organizations already established.

ARE is into building engines. Yes, they have the fastest LS1 in the world right now. Awesome car, one of my favorites ever. But, the MADMAN/Billingsley event focuses more on suspension/chassis setups, not powerplants.

It would also be cool to get someone like BFG to sponsor a drag-radial class at our events. I'll look into that for the LS1TECH series next year. Maybe MADMAN/Billingsley could sponsor a "run what ya brung stock suspension" class at each event too.

Tony
Old 09-20-2003, 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re:

thats a great idea a quick 8 on sat night
run it with winner takes all with cars putting up the pot kinda like a"night of fire"
Old 09-20-2003, 09:06 AM
Launching!

Default Re:

some comments from a distance

where do guys go from running stock location suspension > to four link setups

there seems to be a big leap from running stock type suspension in non stock locations to a four link suspension or am I not getting it. (ie its black and white on the locations)

whats the motivation for guys developing late model efi cars past certain points

are these things really evolution versus revolution or just driven by agendas

Old 09-20-2003, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

Default Re:

Madman if you don't mind can i see some pictures of your mini-tubs and shocks i've heard some stuff through the grapevine down here in south florida whats fair is fair
Old 09-20-2003, 07:48 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re:

Sure if you email me I can take pics monday at the shop. I'm at home right now but the car is on the lift at ther shop. I believe Stealth already has some pics if he want to post them for me.

225-343-9029
Old 09-20-2003, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re:

why not just post those pics on here for everyone to see. Gives the rest of us ideas
Old 09-20-2003, 08:46 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Re:

I have no way to host the pics. Are you offering?????

225-343-9029
Old 09-20-2003, 09:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Re:

Madman, I'd be more than happy to host any pics for ya'...

Send 'em to me at coffeyg@bellsouth.net. You just have keep answering my stupid questions on the phone...
Old 09-21-2003, 02:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re:

ya i can host them for you madman, no problem

you can email me at koby12@ureach.com

Old 09-21-2003, 03:14 AM
dug
Banned

Default Re:

Runnin stock suspension probably becomes a moot point anyway after buying all the aftermarket suspension parts. Is it still cheaper than runnin a 4 link?

At least with a 4link youre free to use any rear end you want (no torque arm bs).
Old 09-21-2003, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

Default Re:

Madman send the pics to these guys we wanna see the inner fender wells and under the car also dont play games
Old 09-21-2003, 01:13 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Re:

BaddMood your name explains you diposition in life very well. Why dont you come to Thunder and I will put the car up on jackstands, remove the tires and we can have us a kindergarten show and tell session.

225-343-9029
Old 09-21-2003, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

Default Re:

Its people like you that make others in BADMOODS didnt you want a kindergarden show of ARE's car after ARE told you what was done show the pics are you hiding something