Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Brake Master?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 11:32 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I already redid every line in my car from stracth with a kit from quartermax, I just don't like how it came out. It was my first attempt at doing brake lines from scratch, plus I reused my SLP linelock and left it mounted in the same spot, it works, but it's not wuite as nice as I'd like it to be.

I want to put a burkhart linelock on that's right on the master, use some bulkhead fittings and put a hole thru the wheel well rather then the way I routed the lines, and then rerun the hardline around the engine bay ( I put it on the lower radiator support so that way I could drop the k member and not even have to crack a brake line for when the k member goes in, I will rerun it the same way, but move a couple fittings and do it a little different just so it's a touch nicer)

You know how it is, the first time you do a job like that it may not come out exactly how you planned it, that's what happened to me. It works, just not quite to the level of fabrication/quality that I want it.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:00 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you guys are making me want to keep power brakes.
i can use my big toe and stop in a hurry.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What all do you have to change to make it work with stock brakes? Do you need anything other than the master cyl?
Old 12-03-2008, 04:49 AM
Race your car!

That and you will need to modify/redo some lines.

Honestly, I don't have any problems stopping a 3350 lb car with drag brakes on it and skinnies from 142 mph. I can't make the first turn off at the track, but I don't have any issues stopping the car.

It's not for a 100 lb person with a 3700 lb car that is for sure, but any decent sized guy isn't gonna find the little increase in peddle pressure that big a deal. Honestly,it's not that much harder I don't think.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:11 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You can keep the stock lines by adding an ABS delete kit to the order. It will allow you to connect from the manual master to the ABS delete block. The ABS delete block will connect to the stock lines.

Redoing the lines is just a nice way to drop a few more pounds and clean things up even more.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think i want to do this, delete abs and go to power brakes, after all i did remove my power steering and i still run 205 front tires with a manual rack,

Is there any links to the "good" kit?

I hear the abs delete can save ~10lbs~, what about the manual brakes? lbs?
Old 12-03-2008, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Am I seeing a Burkhart sale soon...hahaha
Old 12-03-2008, 08:57 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

manual brakes is only 6-8 pounds difference(just the booster) a few more pounds when you get rid of all the stock stuff and go with custom lines.
more done for the space than the weight.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

do you mean all new lines through out the car?
abs+manual brakes is near 20lbs off the nose. Sounds worth it to me
Old 12-04-2008, 04:44 AM
Race your car!

removing the abs and all associated wiring, the anual master with the brace and redoing all the lines from scratch was 25 lbs off my car.

I did all the lines from scratch. Quartermax has a good brake line kit that has all -3an fittings, braided hoses, pretty much everything you need to fab your lines from scratch, just get a 2nd roll of brake line from napa.

The an fittings take a single flare, let me warn you of that now, do NOT try to do double flares at the an fittings, there is no need because you are using tube-nuts with them, so the strenth is there and the an fitting is a 37 degree fitting.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here is a link to our online catalog, which contains Burkharts manual brake master. We have a few in stock, so if you'd like to order soon, or you have any questions, please give me a call.

http://www.madmanandcoracing.com/sho...aspx?itemid=72
Old 12-04-2008, 10:32 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

We can put together a line kit if desired. We have done this a few times.

Let me know.

Last edited by Steve Burger; 12-05-2008 at 07:15 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
Would you say that the feel & stopping power are appropriate to street cars? Or is it a weight for effort compromise you'd rather save for a purpose built car?
I like the feel better with the manual brake than the power brake.

(But I also remember when I first drove a power brake car -- years ago -- and how "touchy" it was compared to the manual brake cars and trucks, so I might be biased)

The stopping power is still there. It takes more initial pressure to get the brakes to start working, but not much more pressure after that to get them really working.

Modulating the brakes is easier because it's not such a fine level of change in foot pressure.

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
Is the extra bracing mandatory for you guys, or just an added recommendation?
I haven't added a brace to mine, but haven't ruled it out. It's the Billingsley (now Burkhart) kit.

There isn't enough flex there to be able to feel it.

Since this is a street/race combo car, I may add one later just so I don't ever have to worry about any kind of flex fatigue in the firewall over the years.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MADMAN
We have the Burkhart ones in stock.

One thing you have to watch on some of the kits out there is that they are selling a cheap master cylinder with the wrong bore size. If you get the wrong bore size the brakes will be firm but wont stop the car. Burkharts kits are the correct setup and we install them on all our cars.
How do you know if you have the right bore size? I bought mine from BMR and have strange brakes all the way around. I dont think the pedal feels right. It feels like the brakes always need to be blead.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

did a little search and on average power brakes offer 1500psi and manual offer 1200psi, so the will be a noticable difference, but not that much, If you do the math it is 20% harder, not really the much
Old 12-05-2008, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

how much pressure is function of stroke, bore size, and the force/rate at which you apply to the pedal.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Race your car!

Originally Posted by ls2formula
How do you know if you have the right bore size? I bought mine from BMR and have strange brakes all the way around. I dont think the pedal feels right. It feels like the brakes always need to be blead.
Ya probably still have air somewhere. I know my aerospace still feel a touch soft, but I know they need one more bleed.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Ya probably still have air somewhere. I know my aerospace still feel a touch soft, but I know they need one more bleed.
whats your opinion on those lightweight brakes,areo,strange,bear, or wollwood on the street, i was told they would warp easy, it would be nice to shed all that rotating weight if i can
Old 12-05-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Talking

I've heard from several reputable guys, that drag brakes are ok for the street as long as you realize you have them and allow extra stopping room, just in case you need to shut it down quickly. I definitely plan on getting the strange brakes in the future.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:10 PM
Race your car!

Welp after 50 passes and slowing down from 140+ all season they haven't warped, that's abotu as hard as I think it gets.

I went with the hub style aerospace fronts and the regular drag rears, got them and the master thru Burkhart last year when they had the sale going on right about now, and I've been very happy with them. Honestly it doesn't stop that bad, I mean I nootice a slight delay on the braking, you hit them and there's a little bit of a delay but that's it. They're really not that bad IMO, I wouldn't want them on a 3700 lb street car, but a drag car no problem all day long. Street strip car, yeah I'd learn to kive with that too I think.