Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What do you run, time and exhaust?
12's and up, Y/Catback
17.21%
12's and up, True Duals
12.30%
11's, Y/Catback
18.03%
11's, True Duals
10.66%
10's or less, Y/Catback
11.48%
10's or less, True Duals
19.67%
Other
10.66%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

What kind of exhaust are you running?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 02:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

right now- pacesetter lt's w/ tsp true duals, sweet thunder mufflers- i hate it , leaks like crazy and is way too loud, drags on the ground etc..

had- pacesetter lt's w/ tsp ory, 3" cutout, to flowmaster muffler. MUCH quieter, leaked a little less but the cutout was always problems. pretty much hated that setup too because of leaks, and the e-cutout problems.

if you have the $ go custom x pipe over the axle by a good fabricator, whatever mufflers fit your taste. wish i did-

these motors just sound GREAT with the right exhaust. the leaks kill the whole thing.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

you need a system like mine, 3.5 inch solid mounted tucked right on the floorboard, clearance is good, no leaks and it sounds great.

I put a motor plate on the car so the motor doesn't move, and there's no vibration and I bet the exhaust is a 1/16 off the floor in spots.

came out perfect
Old 12-16-2008, 06:37 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
you need a system like mine, 3.5 inch solid mounted tucked right on the floorboard, clearance is good, no leaks and it sounds great.

I put a motor plate on the car so the motor doesn't move, and there's no vibration and I bet the exhaust is a 1/16 off the floor in spots.

came out perfect
yeah vibrations are also a huge issue- probably attributed to the exhaust. stock motor mounts probably don't help.

post up some pics if you got em', you have my attention at least. maybe i'll copy it over the winter
Old 12-17-2008, 05:02 AM
Race your car!

Shoot me your e-mail I can foreward them to ya, I can't post them on here (computer illeterate LOL)
Old 12-17-2008, 06:08 AM
11 Second Club

i run a 3.5" pipe 12" long into a 3.5" little dirt track muffler it is loud but it fits
Old 12-18-2008, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pacesetter headers and ORY to a Magnaflow catback. 400/367 SAE on a dynojet. 11.7s at 117 with 1.6 60's. The y-pipe fits better than just about anyone's y-pipe on this site in terms of ground clearance and floorboard clearance. And I'd bet money on it. That y-pipe was probably my favorite mod I've put on the car so far. In fact it's so great that I wouldn't even care if I found out it was costing me 5+ rwhp.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:10 AM
Race your car!

I'd rather lose the ground clearance and put an exhasut on the car that's bigger then needed, but it's a personal preferance.

Just run the shocks a click stiffer and the bottoming out issues disappear
Old 12-18-2008, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

I'd rather lose the ground clearance and put an exhasut on the car that's bigger then needed, but it's a personal preferance.

Just run the shocks a click stiffer and the bottoming out issues disappear
Eh, I'm sorry, but you just can't beat this clearance along with NO clanking on the floorboard. Keep in mind that this is a 95% street car and only gets to the track a few rentals a year. I previously had a TSP catted y-pipe on it but that thing had MUCH less clearance and knocked constantly on the floorboard under the driver's seat when cruising around or racing. For a 400hp street car, I'll take a slight hit on the hp and issue-free driving/clearance in all departments. I'd even leave it in there if I found out it was costing me a tenth. Two tenths and we might talk some more, but it would take more than that to convince me 100%.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:21 PM
Race your car!

If the old y pipe was hitting the floor, I'd be looking @ the tranny mount and the motor mounts, they're probably getting shot. Launching a stick car that has the tq arm bolted to the tranny tailhousing, is putting a load on the tranny and motor mounts like you don't even know.

Put a poly tranny and motor mount set on it and you need about 1/2 the exhaust clearance.

Do like I did, mount the exhaust solid on the floor and it will never rattle, it's the exhaust's ability to move that causes the rattles.

Solid mount everything = no rattles. Little vibration, but it's not that bad.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:37 PM
12 Second Club

kooks 1 3/4 lt, 3" x-pipes with bullets dumped........
Old 12-18-2008, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

If the old y pipe was hitting the floor, I'd be looking @ the tranny mount and the motor mounts, they're probably getting shot. Launching a stick car that has the tq arm bolted to the tranny tailhousing, is putting a load on the tranny and motor mounts like you don't even know.

Put a poly tranny and motor mount set on it and you need about 1/2 the exhaust clearance.

Do like I did, mount the exhaust solid on the floor and it will never rattle, it's the exhaust's ability to move that causes the rattles.

Solid mount everything = no rattles. Little vibration, but it's not that bad.
That's an awful lot of work to take care of a problem that doesn't exist anymore and might pick me up a couple hp at best, or possibly none at all. And I know exactly what you're saying about the torque arm and trans moving, but I can tell you for a fact that the clunking on the floorboards I was hearing was the y-pipe hitting underneath the driver's seat. Ron's does the same thing. It was a CONSISTENT sound every time I drove it with the old y-pipe and from the second I swapped the new one on, I never heard the sound again.

That said, I just ordered the torque arm relocation crossmember for my car this morning on that kickass BMR sale so that's one less thing to worry about in terms of breaking the trans. But it is known for causing a lot more noise cruising, so we'll see how that goes when I put it in. The second this car becomes not fun to cruise around on nights and weekends and to and from the track, the mods start coming OFF it. Or I'll sell it and start over with a new bone stock vehicle.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:19 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
That's an awful lot of work to take care of a problem that doesn't exist anymore and might pick me up a couple hp at best, or possibly none at all. And I know exactly what you're saying about the torque arm and trans moving, but I can tell you for a fact that the clunking on the floorboards I was hearing was the y-pipe hitting underneath the driver's seat. Ron's does the same thing. It was a CONSISTENT sound every time I drove it with the old y-pipe and from the second I swapped the new one on, I never heard the sound again.

That said, I just ordered the torque arm relocation crossmember for my car this morning on that kickass BMR sale so that's one less thing to worry about in terms of breaking the trans. But it is known for causing a lot more noise cruising, so we'll see how that goes when I put it in. The second this car becomes not fun to cruise around on nights and weekends and to and from the track, the mods start coming OFF it. Or I'll sell it and start over with a new bone stock vehicle.
Just wanted to point out, on your sig, how can it be ficticious when you see your face on the vid.... lol

And yes my car is slow, blah, blah, blah.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Just wanted to point out, on your sig, how can it be ficticious when you see your face on the vid.... lol

And yes my car is slow, blah, blah, blah.
I said all street racing "stories"; those videos were taken on a private closed course that may or may not happen to resemble a public road.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:13 PM
Race your car!

While you have that crossmember off I'd put a poly tranny mount on.

The motor mounts and that poly tranny mount would have stopped the y pipe from banging.

Next time you have your car here, I'm gonna have you watch the engine, and I'm gonna sit in the car and punch the gas a couple times. When you see how much the motor moves now imagine that with the load of the car on the motor, it probably doubles the movement.

The poly motor mounts stop that, and would also stop the y pipe bang as well.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

While you have that crossmember off I'd put a poly tranny mount on.

The motor mounts and that poly tranny mount would have stopped the y pipe from banging.

Next time you have your car here, I'm gonna have you watch the engine, and I'm gonna sit in the car and punch the gas a couple times. When you see how much the motor moves now imagine that with the load of the car on the motor, it probably doubles the movement.

The poly motor mounts stop that, and would also stop the y pipe bang as well.
I understand what you're saying. How much are those mounts? I doubt I'll do them anytime soon but they'll go on the list now that I know what you're talking about. I'll probably do the trans mount when I pull the tranny this time.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:27 PM
Internet Mechanic

My Motor jumps like something you have never seen. My old LT1 383 never moved that much with OEM stock mounts.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:52 AM
Race your car!

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

There ya go, 98.99 for the motor mounts and the tranny mount, complete kit, do it all @ once and call it a day.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:14 AM
Internet Mechanic

Just on a side note, Jay, I think I may have granaded mine, with that slack I have been feeling and the drivetrain hitting the underside of the car. Due to a POS differential.

We will put that on the list of things to do....
Old 12-19-2008, 07:48 AM
Race your car!

Put it on the list. The motor mounts suck to do, lemme warn ya of that now.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:46 AM
TECH Addict

The tranny mount is easy enough but how do you do the motor mounts?