Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any of you guys removed your trunk area?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by millerpa
Yes no matter how carefull you are theres always that dumb *** driver thats not paying attention and has to **** every thing up!

For insurance i think ill be ok. My friend that ive know for awhile just offered me to try going through him for insurance. And so i did, so maybe ill be ok?
As long as its street legal 100%

Lights ect, seat belts, Factory front window, dot tires i really dont c the problem with the insurance? i hope i never find out by getting in a wreck though
JL and I are trying to tell you that your insurance no matter who it is will drop you. Does this friend know what all your doing? Is he Legit? To many people that will cover whatever and even for cheap sometimes but when you get hit or something you are either hosed OR there is not enough $$ in coverage to cover the loss or damage. I can't see this person or any legit insurance company wanting to cover a car like this even just a little. Maybe this person will cover it a little but if they insure you and you get hurt or someone else does then as far as i know that insurance company can get sued.

I know of ONE car like yours on the road, its a 55 Chevy that runs 6's here in towm. like 2 times a year he will trailer it to cruise spots and put put it up and down the road for not even and 1/8th mile and really late at night and thats it.

It looks like you have cut all the webing out from behined the shell or at least a ton of it, any kind of fenfer mender and you might as well replace all of it. With no crash bumpers and kind of fender bender and your front end or back in are trashed.

To many people on this site go cutting things up and removing things but don't realize how big of a role some things play and don't realize just how dangerous they are making the car.

In a head on hit your engine might be in your lap. That bar will not protect you much and I am sure will cave in in the middle pretty easy.

You can't find out what insurance will say if you are dead. I am doing a lot of what you are doing but its a track only car and I am going 25.2.

Take your car off the street man, seriously.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

People are overlooking one point about this build. An extremely light car usually does better in an accident than a full weight car. Take his 2500lb car and T-bone it with another vehicle at 30mph and see what happens. His 2500lb car will move sideways MUCH easier than a full weight car. Now do the same with a 3500lb full-weight car. There will be SIGNIFICANT damage to the other car no doubt, and the damage to the full weight car will be substantial in that one area. Another point is that when you hit the brakes HARD, the car reacts MUCH BETTER. You simply can't imagaine what good it does to drop 1000lbs. It's similar to driving a pickup truck with a trailer and driving without it. Night and Day. On my car, even with the skinnies, it stops very well. I don't drive like a retard on the street either. You can be **** as you want with other people's builds saying "oh it's not "safe" anymore" and whatnot, blah, blah. In that case, maybe we should all drive with helmets on....and fire suits........and halon systems...........and strap big tires to the outside like boats in the harbor do...because ya know....you can never be too sure out there, especially when it comes to the other drivers out there.

Roll cage> door bars.

Enough of the criticism of what other people deem safe and what crosses the line with yourselves. It's his car, his choice. It is getting a freaking cage for crying out loud. He will be running kirkeys, which have 1000000x more side support than the stock seats too.

As for insurance, I would just keep liability on it and fire/theft. You will not be covered when they take a look at the car. Insurance adjusters are not stupid, the cage will stick out like a sore thumb.

Keep us posted on this build!!!!!
Old 01-17-2009, 03:30 PM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joelster
As for insurance, I would just keep liability on it and fire/theft. You will not be covered when they take a look at the car. Insurance adjusters are not stupid, the cage will stick out like a sore thumb.

Keep us posted on this build!!!!!
that is not entirely true. some lady hit my camaro a while back. the car was back-halved, 12 point cage, kirkey seats with 5 point harnesses, no bumper suuports (obviously since it was back-halved) when the cops got there all he said was man this car looks expensive. the adjuster came to my house to look at it and all he did was have me take it to an actual racecar chassis shop to get estimates and looked online to get prices on the parts like rod ends and a holeshot rim. paid out no problem. it was a minor little accident and all it did was her bumper cover rubbed my rim and rear bumper cover. after the adjuster came out i noticed that the marks on my rim and bumper cover rubbed right off. oh and my rod ends were crappy ones that came with the backhalf kit and always made noise so i managed to get nice QA1 rod ends out of the deal too.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:42 PM
TECH Addict

Im not aguring that a lither car is better in a wreck, it will move easier but we have to remember that it still has to take the impact, If you drop 50% in weight but sacrafice 80% of the crash protection then you still lose. So the weight point is a mute one.

Yeah we can all run aroung with a halon system (I would never run one, you need pretty much a sealed area for it to be effective, Ill got with foam), but get real dude, a car with all the factory crash supports is plenty safe, even better with a cage and all.
Just because someone puts a 10 point in the car with a Kirley means crap if you are in a car like that and take a head on hit, that bar under the dash sits higher then the engine so if its a bad enough of a hit I would hate to rish having the engine in my lap.

Yeah get liability if you want but what happens when for whatever reason you hit somone, say a t-bone and since your front crash bumper is gone there car gets destroyed because the nose was instantly crushed in and they have a radiator and tubular steel pushing into their car, then if its bad enough they get hurt. They sue when they find out all the saftey stuff was removed. So that point is mute.

Most insurance companies will drop you if you have even a roll bar but I doubt you will find a cop that will say something about it but I bet you will find one that will get you for lexan.

ORRR!!!!!!!!! Lets say this guy get hit and hurt pretty bad, a t-bone and that 10 point will not do much honestly or hit had hits the padded roll bar really hard or his head hits the seat really hard he tries to sue the other person or get injury money from his insurance and the insurance compnay sees the car guess what?????? No money for you.

Sorry due and I don't mean this as bad as it will sound but your post is about one of the most ignorant post I have ever read on here.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 9sec93
that is not entirely true. some lady hit my camaro a while back. the car was back-halved, 12 point cage, kirkey seats with 5 point harnesses, no bumper suuports (obviously since it was back-halved) when the cops got there all he said was man this car looks expensive. the adjuster came to my house to look at it and all he did was have me take it to an actual racecar chassis shop to get estimates and looked online to get prices on the parts like rod ends and a holeshot rim. paid out no problem. it was a minor little accident and all it did was her bumper cover rubbed my rim and rear bumper cover. after the adjuster came out i noticed that the marks on my rim and bumper cover rubbed right off. oh and my rod ends were crappy ones that came with the backhalf kit and always made noise so i managed to get nice QA1 rod ends out of the deal too.
I could see something like that happening if you are lucky and get the right adjuster and all but to me your chances of wining the lottery are better and with all the 4 link cars out there the person may have nont of known any better,

I know state farm told me that if my car is modified in any way structurally or for racing they will drop me, thats why I am taking it off the street.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:58 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
I know state farm told me that if my car is modified in any way structurally or for racing they will drop me, thats why I am taking it off the street.
if my insurance company told me that i would drop them and get a different insurance company. there are plenty of insurance companies out there that would love your business.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 9sec93
if my insurance company told me that i would drop them and get a different insurance company. there are plenty of insurance companies out there that would love your business.
GEICO and Start Farm said no haha, State Farm really did laugh haha.

The main issue is that if you get droped then really you wasted all that money that you gave them every month.

Thats the big issue.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:19 PM
12 Second Club

anyone have a write-up or directions on how to cut out the truck area like millerpa did???

dont know where to start cutting (interior?...exterior?)

noticed there were spot-welds around the ttop tub

does the ttop tub come out after drilling out the spot-welds???
Old 01-17-2009, 04:19 PM
10 Second Club

Im not aguring that a lither car is better in a wreck, it will move easier but we have to remember that it still has to take the impact, If you drop 50% in weight but sacrafice 80% of the crash protection then you still lose. So the weight point is a mute one.

Yeah we can all run aroung with a halon system (I would never run one, you need pretty much a sealed area for it to be effective, Ill got with foam), but get real dude, a car with all the factory crash supports is plenty safe, even better with a cage and all.
Everyone just assumes a factory stock car is incredibly safe. Door bars are dick. It is cheap steel, not DOM by any means. This guys car is compromised for sure, but that's his choice, not yours. 90% of the cars in the drag section that see street action are compromised, and you know it. Go police them and tell them how wrong they are.
Just because someone puts a 10 point in the car with a Kirley means crap if you are in a car like that and take a head on hit, that bar under the dash sits higher then the engine so if its a bad enough of a hit I would hate to rish having the engine in my lap.
I never said this guys car is going to be "safe". We all take these risks when we mod our cars. You run drag radials, no? Do you think they stop better on the street than a good street tire? I just get sick of the safety police that come into everyones build threads the second they take something off of their car that "they" deem as wrong to do. It's his car, he can do what he wants to. I wonder how you feel about motorcycles and such. They don't take head-ons too well either.

Yeah get liability if you want but what happens when for whatever reason you hit somone, say a t-bone and since your front crash bumper is gone there car gets destroyed because the nose was instantly crushed in and they have a radiator and tubular steel pushing into their car, then if its bad enough they get hurt. They sue when they find out all the saftey stuff was removed. So that point is mute.
That is what liability insurance is for. It covers you when you are liable. This part made me laugh. I hope to god if you EVER hit someone that they don't find out that you have a non-stock tire on your car, ie: not originally intended tire size or whatever. That right there is a violation.

Most insurance companies will drop you if you have even a roll bar but I doubt you will find a cop that will say something about it but I bet you will find one that will get you for lexan.
Agreed

ORRR!!!!!!!!! Lets say this guy get hit and hurt pretty bad, a t-bone and that 10 point will not do much honestly or hit had hits the padded roll bar really hard or his head hits the seat really hard he tries to sue the other person or get injury money from his insurance and the insurance compnay sees the car guess what?????? No money for you.
Ok dude, he should just sell it and buy a Volvo.

Sorry due and I don't mean this as bad as it will sound but your post is about one of the most ignorant post I have ever read on here.
I think your post is pretty ignorant. You simply cannot accept the fact that different people find different levels of safety equipment removal fine with them. I would bet there are tons of cars on here that you would wholehartedly disagree with. I am perfectly ok with it, since I will not be the one driving them, why can't you?

This thread is about the OP's goal to hit 2500lbs race weight. Not a lesson in safety and accident prevention.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes i think ive going alittle far with saying i want reall DAILY DRIVER. At first it was a good idea but after readding this im going to have to say it notvery safe. yes i dont live in a huge city, 50,000 poeple there not alot of traffic and stuff but all you guys are right. You cant prevent an accident, and i havnt been in one ever and id like to keep it that way.

I guess this car will probably be one of those friday night cars that comes out only if poeple are out. maybe take alittle cruz but other than that just park it where every one meet and bullshit. then back to the garage it goes. Its the only car i personaly have, i just barrowed my grandpas truck to get me by for now. so this whole DD idea was based on driving it everday. Next winter i will be gettin my own truck so i wont have to worry about making my car a DD. So this car will not be on the street every day like all you guys think. it will be a friday night car and on a trailer to go to the track. its 1.5 hours to mile high (DENVER) on the interstate so that there is very dangerous at 75mph to drive my car.

I apoligize for being ignorate in this post, and glad you guys got me thinking in the safer direction. Im young and new to the concept of drag cars and never thought wut would be exceptable on the street to be safe.

Thanks for opening my eyes
Old 01-17-2009, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

Joelstr

Liability cover you when you are laible but ask your insuance if they will still cover that will a heavily "de-moded" car.

So you disagree with my t-bone comment that you made the volvo comment to?

Anyone can do what they want with their car, its your saftey and life. Im not the only one saying something so don't point the finger at just me.

From what I can tell with your last post you can't disagree with me so you are just crying about it.

Seems like everyone including the guy that owns the car agrees that its not safe.... hmmmm

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 01-17-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:33 PM
12 Second Club

agree with the safety/insurance info going on. mine used to be a daily but after i started pulling weight and safety crap, mine only sees the street very rarely when the weather is fine or when an event is going on
Old 01-17-2009, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by millerpa
yes i think ive going alittle far with saying i want reall DAILY DRIVER. At first it was a good idea but after readding this im going to have to say it notvery safe. yes i dont live in a huge city, 50,000 poeple there not alot of traffic and stuff but all you guys are right. You cant prevent an accident, and i havnt been in one ever and id like to keep it that way.

I guess this car will probably be one of those friday night cars that comes out only if poeple are out. maybe take alittle cruz but other than that just park it where every one meet and bullshit. then back to the garage it goes. Its the only car i personaly have, i just barrowed my grandpas truck to get me by for now. so this whole DD idea was based on driving it everday. Next winter i will be gettin my own truck so i wont have to worry about making my car a DD. So this car will not be on the street every day like all you guys think. it will be a friday night car and on a trailer to go to the track. its 1.5 hours to mile high (DENVER) on the interstate so that there is very dangerous at 75mph to drive my car.

I apoligize for being ignorate in this post, and glad you guys got me thinking in the safer direction. Im young and new to the concept of drag cars and never thought wut would be exceptable on the street to be safe.

Thanks for opening my eyes

I never said you were stupid or anything like that, I was just trying to say "hey, you gotta look at this with open eyes".

Nothing wrong with having a drag car man, Ill have one and my wife has the street car.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nemss1
anyone have a write-up or directions on how to cut out the truck area like millerpa did???

dont know where to start cutting (interior?...exterior?)

noticed there were spot-welds around the ttop tub

does the ttop tub come out after drilling out the spot-welds???
Yeah drill those out, I doubt it will just drop out.... may need a little prying or persuading with your foot hahaha.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never said you were stupid or anything like that, I was just trying to say "hey, you gotta look at this with open eyes".

Nothing wrong with having a drag car man, Ill have one and my wife has the street car.

I know ur not saying im stupid, your just watching out for me and thats its not the safest car out there.

I agree, its not very safe IMO but every one takes there chances in life. We all have dont these mods and depending how far we go with it is up to the owners of the cars weather is a dd or track only car.

Thinking about this more and more now, car wont see to much on the street. i just cant get the thought outta my head about getting in a wreck. Little or big damage ive worked to ******* hard on this car to go out and having some idiot smash into the ONLY thing i own. I would probable drag him outta his car and beat the **** outta him.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:46 PM
10 Second Club

Joelstr

Liability cover you when you are laible but ask your insuance if they will still cover that will a heavily "de-moded" car.

So you disagree with my t-bone comment that you made the volvo comment to?

Anyone can do what they want with their car, its your saftey and life. Im not the only one saying something so don't point the finger at just me.

From what I can tell with your last post you can't disagree with me so you are just crying about it.

Seems like everyone including the guy that owns the car agrees that its not safe.... hmmmm
I'm not crying about anything. Pay attention here......it's his car, he drives it, he can do what he wants to it. Yes it is compromised safety-wise, he knows it, he will accept it. No need to post how unsafe a car is when you start removing safety stuff, I think that is common sense. I get sick of seeing these "oh I wouldn't do that" posts in everyone's "trying to build a lightweight car" threads. That's all.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by joelster
I'm not crying about anything. Pay attention here......it's his car, he drives it, he can do what he wants to it. Yes it is compromised safety-wise, he knows it, he will accept it. No need to post how unsafe a car is when you start removing safety stuff, I think that is common sense. I get sick of seeing these "oh I wouldn't do that" posts in everyone's "trying to build a lightweight car" threads. That's all.
DUDE, I only ever said, "thats not safe" I have been around for a while and know a thing or two, if people want to listen then fine and fine if they don't and I do the same to others. This site and others is about learing from others.

Now if I came out telling him he is an idiot and shouldent be doing this then I could see your point, I was telling him that from and insurance and sartey stand point its not safe and he and other have agreed with me. You are the only one on your ship bud.

millerpa. might consider making a tubular crash guard to go under the bumpers, will not weight much and will add some protection.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:56 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah drill those out, I doubt it will just drop out.... may need a little prying or persuading with your foot hahaha.
alright, thanx for this info man. greatly appreciated
Old 01-17-2009, 05:20 PM
TECH Addict

If its glued in also get a resperator and a scotch brite pad/wheel on a 90 degree grinder and take it off, of just find the seam and cut it at the seam.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:29 PM
12 Second Club

If its glued in also get a resperator and a scotch brite pad/wheel on a 90 degree grinder and take it off, of just find the seam and cut it at the seam.
yup, there is seam sealer. should the panel come out with the spot-welds drilled and seam sealer scraped away???

Quick Reply: any of you guys removed your trunk area?