Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steel VS Cromoly rollbar?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 09:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nahasapeemapetalon
Its weight youll never be able to take out....

We have removed rollbars from cars before?
Old 01-16-2009, 10:13 AM
Launching!

theres a reason I cut my MS cage out and am paying for CM - I regretted going with the MS.....weight is crucial. I'd sell the one you bought, and have Collin (I assume) fab you up a nice CM cage.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:53 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Do the chromoly, at least if you decide to add on to it later and get to a full 10 pt you will have alot lighter base to start with.

Makes the car a little easier to sell too later on if ya ever deicde to.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:50 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ditto.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by wlsmoku
theres a reason I cut my MS cage out and am paying for CM - I regretted going with the MS.....weight is crucial. I'd sell the one you bought, and have Collin (I assume) fab you up a nice CM cage.
Yes, it's Collin's old cage and he would be the person fabbing the new one.
The man does amazing work.

Pirate Rollbar to compliment my Pirate SFCs 4TW! LOL
Old 01-16-2009, 04:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by renee00formula
For just the six point I couldn't justify spending the extra money for the slight savings in weight. I could find that weight elsewhere in the car for free.

OR save the weight on the cage AND find "that extra weight" and take that out also and loose twice as much weight!!

People tell me that all the time "just take a big **** in the morning to loose that weight"... "ok, or i cut this out and do that and be even lighter!!"

Im going with CM 8pt... i wouldnt even think twice about it especially on a cage thats getting welded in. DO CM AND SLEEP BETTER AT NIGHT!!
Old 01-16-2009, 05:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Taubr Unit
OR save the weight on the cage AND find "that extra weight" and take that out also and loose twice as much weight!!

People tell me that all the time "just take a big **** in the morning to loose that weight"... "ok, or i cut this out and do that and be even lighter!!"

Im going with CM 8pt... i wouldnt even think twice about it especially on a cage thats getting welded in. DO CM AND SLEEP BETTER AT NIGHT!!
+1 Chrome moly....

LMAO, you know every year in the past right before race season, I used to go on a diet and lose a shitload of weight.... haha This year I got carried away im a fat-***.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:56 PM
10 Second Club

Moly if you're not a tight wad like me. I have a MS 6 point and it is heavy.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:42 PM
7 Second Club

I have a complete MS cage in my Nova and I know it's heavy but there's a big cost difference. I don't care about a tenth so I saved the $$$ in material and labor and put it towards something else. If you have the cash and want to keep the weight down, do Moly. If not, well you know!

Derek
Old 01-18-2009, 01:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Anytime you can save 1lb of weight for under $10 DO IT!!!!! A typical chromoly cage (6-8pt) will save you around 20-25lbs and only costs about $200 or so more. Think of how hard it would be for you to drop an additional 25lbs off of your car if it were already gutted and had skinnies/slicks.

To save 25lbs you could get a k-member and a-arms ---$750+
or................speedglass for the rear hatch------$399+ $90 shipping
or................manual steering rack--------------$500+
or................drag brakes for the rear-----------$450+

etc,etc...

Goind from DOM to chromoly is a very cheap way to lose weight.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Taubr Unit

My problem isn't so much $/lbs, so much as it is !weight mods I am willing (or not willing) to do to my car.
In this case, I've decided to have a CM built and I put the MS one up for sale.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by joelster
Anytime you can save 1lb of weight for under $10 DO IT!!!!! A typical chromoly cage (6-8pt) will save you around 20-25lbs and only costs about $200 or so more. Think of how hard it would be for you to drop an additional 25lbs off of your car if it were already gutted and had skinnies/slicks.

To save 25lbs you could get a k-member and a-arms ---$750+
or................speedglass for the rear hatch------$399+ $90 shipping
or................manual steering rack--------------$500+
or................drag brakes for the rear-----------$450+

etc,etc...

Goind from DOM to chromoly is a very cheap way to lose weight.
Chromo tube can't be formed from drawing over a mandrel? I'm hung up on what you are saying in your last sentence. DOM is a process not a type of steel.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:08 PM
12 Second Club

Just to set things straight guys... From my understanding in engineering/chemistry classes as well as from my father who owns an engineering and design firm, Chromoly isn't actually lighter, however it is stronger so you can use a thinner metal for the same strength... Correct me if I'm wrong guys...
Old 01-19-2009, 02:10 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by patriotformula
Just to set things straight guys... From my understanding in engineering/chemistry classes as well as from my father who owns an engineering and design firm, Chromoly isn't actually lighter, however it is stronger so you can use a thinner metal for the same strength... Correct me if I'm wrong guys...
I can't comment on an exact weight per a given dimension, but yes you are allowed to use a thinner walled tube.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:13 PM
10 Second Club

That's true. Besides the thinner tubing, chromoly allows you to use 1 5/8 tubing which is a little better cosmetically, and accounts for a little of the weight.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:31 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

fwiw, I've weigh'd a 1 3/4 inch 1 foot lenth and a 1 5/8 1 foot lenth on a very accurate scale, and it was exactly .1 of a lb difference. That's same wall thickness (measured with a pair of verniers) and the same lenth, just the tubing diameter difference.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

thatis exactely right. The reason why cromoly is lighter is because its a thinner wall tubing, not because of the actual material.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:10 PM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jmill96Z
That's true. Besides the thinner tubing, chromoly allows you to use 1 5/8 tubing which is a little better cosmetically, and accounts for a little of the weight.
you still have to use the same diameter tube whether ms or moly. 1 3/4 for rollbar and 1 5/8 for rollcage. the difference is when using ms i think it has to be .118 or .120 wall where you can use .083 wall moly. it gets more complicated when you start getting into intricate cages. example, when using the x-style door bars, you can run smaller diameter tubing than the normally required 1 5/8 for just the single door bar.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:13 PM
10 Second Club

Good info.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by trigger1
Chromo tube can't be formed from drawing over a mandrel? I'm hung up on what you are saying in your last sentence. DOM is a process not a type of steel.
When you go to buy one of those pre-made cages for a 4th gen there are usually 3 types of them. There is that crappy electro-welded whatever junk, the DOM steel ones, and then chromoly. When they say DOM steel, they specifically mean non-chromoly ie: .118-.120 wall. When they use chromoly, they will always refer to it as chromoly irregardless of the process used to bend it.

The point I was trying to make is that a typical 6-8 point cage will only run you near $200 more for chromoly, and you will not EVER find a way to replace ANY component on your car for that kind of money and save that kind of weight. It is the best money you could possibly spend on your car.

Quick Reply: Steel VS Cromoly rollbar?