Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock suspension rules legality

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 12:22 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No, I don't think Chuck is a member here. His little 350" LT1 Super Stock Camaro has gone mid- to -high nines na. There is always somebody faster out there.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:22 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Ever try pulling 2nd gear at about 6000?

Next time you run the car tighten the extension and compression on the front shocks 2 clicks, put the rear tires up to 14 psi cold and try pulling 2nd gear @ 6000.

Try that and get back to me. We're at about the same power level I think so what works for me probably will work for your car.

I'm on a 18x10.5S tire, that's a little different then your W's, but not so much that the same thing won't work.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:55 PM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
If madman can run 4.80's in the 1/8 mile on drag radials with no bars, the tires 3 inches off the ground and a 1.2x 60 foot. There IS a solution.
that car also has a big motor and a huge procharger in the front of it. im sure that makes for a little oxtra weight in the front.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:10 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I could try that but isn't that band aiding a situation and slowing the car down???? If the car makes max power at 7200 and i'm pulling the next gear 1200 rpms early then i'm slowing the car down no????

And the front shocks are single adjustable qa1's... We had them set 10 clicks from full loose..... so they were pretty tight...

we're going to try like you and madman said first time out, more air in the tires and bigger shot off the line and see if we can get the car to blacktrack and go instead of dead hook and go up on the bars....

No, I don't think Chuck is a member here. His little 350" LT1 Super Stock Camaro has gone mid- to -high nines na. There is always somebody faster out there
yeah i kind of left super stock cars out of that since i was meaning more "street" oriented cars... but you're right there is always a faster car.... But again I did go, 9.54 shutting down at 800' so technically i have gone faster...
Old 01-29-2009, 01:18 PM
9-Second Club

yeah i kind of left super stock cars out of that since i was meaning more "street" oriented cars... but you're right there is always a faster car.... But again I did go, 9.54 shutting down at 800' so technically i have gone faster...
But, Chuck did it with a smaller engine, stock compression, stock valve sizes, stock port volumes, stock throttle body, and no baby bottle.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:35 PM
9 Second Club

But, Chuck did it with a smaller engine, stock compression, stock valve sizes, stock port volumes, stock throttle body, and no baby bottle
I will give him that that's flying.. those super stockers get it done.... what is the weight on one of those things???? what are most tipping the scales at....

and I did go 10.6 on motor, but everything on my car is setup for spray. my car is lazy on the motor.... If I built it only for NA I think I could get it to go 9's with some hellacious gears and a loose converter...

My times for now are gonna plummet here soon when my car gets back from the fab shop... 8's or bust....
Old 01-29-2009, 01:38 PM
Race your car!

Nitrous like the lug of an early shift. I've tried shifting my car everywhere between 6400 and 7200, and I've had the best luck pulling it around 6500. Look @ the dyno sheet in my photo album, it carries the power right up to 7500 where we've stopped the pull, and it never really fell off for a referance. N/a it liked 7000, nitrous seems to like to be shifted sooner.

Definately put more air in the tires, that's probably 1/2 the problem. I'd put them at 14 cold and see what happens.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:14 PM
9-Second Club

[QUOTE]I will give him that that's flying.. those super stockers get it done.... what is the weight on one of those things???? what are most tipping the scales at....[QUOTE]

Depends on the class. He would have been just under 3000 lbs. Mine weighs 3240. Chuck is faster than I. I just talked to an LT1 Stock eliminator racer from Lousiana yesterday that had gotten his LT1 to go 10.40s, with 1.29 60'. I understand Bobby and Jeff Warren have run quicker than that with their stockers. I believe Jeff said he has gone 10.30s, but that was over a year ago, so he has probably been faster since. Wonder how fast they would be with a 383", some compression, aftermarket heads and intakes and a baby bottle? Those guys are foot braking on 9" tires also. Hang mufflers on them and they would be as much a street car as yours.

I would never claim to be the fastest anything. There is always somebody faster, you ain't likely to find the fastest guys hanging around here.

Btw, always short shift 1-2.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:55 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by OutlawZ
we're going to try like you and madman said first time out, more air in the tires and bigger shot off the line and see if we can get the car to blacktrack and go instead of dead hook and go up on the bars....
That's what I told you in the second post. Pulling timing is not going to help you. How much travel do you have in the front? In the picture you posted, the wheels look like they are dropped a lot.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:21 PM
9-Second Club

[QUOTE]
the wheels are 15x10's and the tires are 28x10.5W's... Tires were 10-11psi hot.... Yeah we probably could stand to up them and test it out...
[QUOTE]

I mised this a while ago. Those wheels are too narrow for those tires. Thought it looked like 10" wheels in the picture. Put them on 12" wheels and you'll think you have a new car. No less than 12 psi. Hoosier lists 10" wheels for their 10.5" tires, but I don't know why. They don't work worth a damn on 10" wheels. Since I went to 12' wheels, I seldom have to go below 14 psi.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:26 PM
Race your car!

Ed what did you do to get the 15x12 to fit, what backspace/how much was the rear narrowed? I keep getting conflicting reports.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:46 PM
9 Second Club

Depends on the class. He would have been just under 3000 lbs. Mine weighs 3240. Chuck is faster than I. I just talked to an LT1 Stock eliminator racer from Lousiana yesterday that had gotten his LT1 to go 10.40s, with 1.29 60'. I understand Bobby and Jeff Warren have run quicker than that with their stockers. I believe Jeff said he has gone 10.30s, but that was over a year ago, so he has probably been faster since. Wonder how fast they would be with a 383", some compression, aftermarket heads and intakes and a baby bottle? Those guys are foot braking on 9" tires also. Hang mufflers on them and they would be as much a street car as yours.

I would never claim to be the fastest anything. There is always somebody faster, you ain't likely to find the fastest guys hanging around here.

Btw, always short shift 1-2
interesting info.... I'm not too worried about being fastest anything. I just want to run in the 8's and that's the overall goal... so we'll keep soldiering on...

Nitrous like the lug of an early shift. I've tried shifting my car everywhere between 6400 and 7200, and I've had the best luck pulling it around 6500. Look @ the dyno sheet in my photo album, it carries the power right up to 7500 where we've stopped the pull, and it never really fell off for a referance. N/a it liked 7000, nitrous seems to like to be shifted sooner.

Definately put more air in the tires, that's probably 1/2 the problem. I'd put them at 14 cold and see what happens
Yeah that's on the schedule for when we go out next to test....

That's what I told you in the second post. Pulling timing is not going to help you. How much travel do you have in the front? In the picture you posted, the wheels look like they are dropped a lot
that picture was taken prior to the chain limiters going on the car. so yes they were at full droop. When the car did this the limiters were set to 1 hole tighter than the middle hole. i think it provided about 2"-2.5" of travel max.... Go to my youtube vids in my sig and the video on the main page is the worst wheelstand it's done.... still on a 1 fiddy out the hole....

I think the psi might make a good bit of difference like you guys said. Also my chassis guy says dumping the 10.5W tires and going to a 10.5S tire would help as well.... Can i run a MT ET Drag 10.5S on a 10" rim???? Cause 15x12 bogart D10's ain't gonna be cheap especially since these 15x10's are damn near brand new.... i'm interested as well with what was done to get a 15x12 to fit...
Old 01-29-2009, 03:58 PM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Ed what did you do to get the 15x12 to fit, what backspace/how much was the rear narrowed? I keep getting conflicting reports.

6" back spacing, if I remember correctly. I kept trying to run them on 10" wheels like Hoosier recomends. At the end of last summer, the outside 3/8" or so on each side was still smooth. Didn't look like they had ever touched the ground on the edges. I'll check the back spacing tonight and get back to you. Seems like Weld offered 5.5" and 6.5", so I'm pretty sure they are 6". They are Bogarts. Seems like they are actually 11.75" wide, don't think they had a true 12" with 6" back spacing. The sometimes "radial wobble" is gone, and my 60' times are back at 1.30 to 1.32. It was 1.38 to 1.42 on 10" wheels, same tires, more air, more stable. Whomever wrote their catalog needs their tails kicked. Or, their heads pulled out of their butts. 9" tiers on 10" wheels hook much better than their 10.5" tires on 10" wheels. Much better.
Mine is just mini-tubbed with 3" whacked off each end of the housing.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

1st thing i'd do is put more air in those tires. 14 lbs is a good starting point like others have said. another thing i would do is tie the front down a little more. what do you have for a front suspension setup?
Old 01-29-2009, 04:57 PM
9 Second Club

1st thing i'd do is put more air in those tires. 14 lbs is a good starting point like others have said. another thing i would do is tie the front down a little more. what do you have for a front suspension setup

QA1 R shocks up front 12 way single adjustables, BMR k-member, BMR upper and lower control arms, aerospace components drag brakes, Madman SYA bars, Madman manual steering rack... madman travel limiters....
Old 01-29-2009, 08:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would air up the rear tires and tighten the limiters all the way up. If it spins back up from there.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:00 PM
9 Second Club

yeah it seems that my chassis guy is gonna put the wheelie bars with the stock panhard now like madman said.... 7" bolt spread.....
Old 01-29-2009, 09:23 PM
Race your car!

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
6" back spacing, if I remember correctly. I kept trying to run them on 10" wheels like Hoosier recomends. At the end of last summer, the outside 3/8" or so on each side was still smooth. Didn't look like they had ever touched the ground on the edges. I'll check the back spacing tonight and get back to you. Seems like Weld offered 5.5" and 6.5", so I'm pretty sure they are 6". They are Bogarts. Seems like they are actually 11.75" wide, don't think they had a true 12" with 6" back spacing. The sometimes "radial wobble" is gone, and my 60' times are back at 1.30 to 1.32. It was 1.38 to 1.42 on 10" wheels, same tires, more air, more stable. Whomever wrote their catalog needs their tails kicked. Or, their heads pulled out of their butts. 9" tiers on 10" wheels hook much better than their 10.5" tires on 10" wheels. Much better.
Mine is just mini-tubbed with 3" whacked off each end of the housing.

Yeah, the bogarts I have are supposed to be 10 inches wide, but they're more like 9.75 wide. I do run a 10.5S tire on them, and would like to try sticking that tire on a 12 inch wide rim, a W tire I would definately run on a 12 inch rim.

Sounds pretty straitforeward. I was gonna try to chop 5 inches off both sides of the rear, and see if a 15x12 with a 4 inch backspace would fit, minitub at the same time (providing the car doesn't sell)

Next car is gonna get a full 40 inch tub put in it so I can fit a 31x10.5 tire, and that's gonna probably end up on a 15x15 rim. Control arms are definately gonna have to get relocated for that, wishbone setup and the shocks will have to get moved inboard. Oh well
Old 01-29-2009, 11:08 PM
9 Second Club

in other news it seems that my !trunk mod has been completed. pictures to follow.... I also had them fab up a permanent removable panel if i ever decide to go to an in tank pump.... I'll get some pics of the final work soon....
Old 01-30-2009, 08:45 AM
9-Second Club

The back spacing is 6". Something I learned in the late 60s, wheels at least an inch wider (usually 2) than the tread area always hook better, and allows for more air (thus more stable). No matter what the catalog says.

Quick Reply: stock suspension rules legality