Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Cover Hitting Upper PHB support

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 08:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry Rear Cover Hitting Upper PHB support

I installed my TA pivot plates today. I also re adjusted the pinion angle on the car but had an issue. My moser's rear cover fill plug hits the upper panhard bar support. I'm either going to have to cut a piece of the support off or by the relocation kit. I'd like to notch the support slightly to save the 200 the relocation kit costs but I'm not sure if that will mess with the structural integrity. Would it be safe for me to cut a piece of it off?

Also if I purchase an on car adjustable PHB would I be able to center the rear if I have LCAs with the poly bushings? Would this cause binding of the rear if I tried to adjust it using an adj phb?
Old 02-07-2009, 08:41 PM
9 Second Club

are your lca's adjustable. you should be able to pull the rear forward a little. I adjusted my phb with all poly bushings & never had a prob.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by code4
are your lca's adjustable. you should be able to pull the rear forward a little. I adjusted my phb with all poly bushings & never had a prob.
nope my LCAs aren't adjustable. so you adjusted your rear and had no issues with your LCAs and the poly bushings? im sure plenty of people have done it with no issues. i guess i need to understand how it is possible to move the rear and not bind the LCAs if they are attached to the rear and frame.

do you know if it would be safe to notch the upper phb support?
Old 02-07-2009, 09:14 PM
9 Second Club

yea i lowered the rear of my car & had to adjust the phb & lca's to get my wheels centered etc. no problems. I don't know about moving the mount. if done right it could be made really strong. doesn't someone make a phb that has a crook in it?
Old 02-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if LT1 rear end setups are the same, but I would just take it off. I took mine off a little over a year ago, no problems whatsoever.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by code4
yea i lowered the rear of my car & had to adjust the phb & lca's to get my wheels centered etc. no problems. I don't know about moving the mount. if done right it could be made really strong. doesn't someone make a phb that has a crook in it?
i think your talking about the bmr and umi phb relocation kits. they remove the top support and replace it with a tubular piece that mounts the phb lower. that kit is around $200. im thinking that kit would solve my problem as the top support piece that im having with would be replaced. but i could save that money by cutting a groove in the support. i just want to make sure that cytting it wouldnt cause any issues.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01sscam
I don't know if LT1 rear end setups are the same, but I would just take it off. I took mine off a little over a year ago, no problems whatsoever.
you mean you just completely did away with the top support? makes me thnk i should just go ahead and cut a groove in mine.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will be fine cutting it. Quite a few people have just taken them off completely.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 5.3LJimmy
You will be fine cutting it. Quite a few people have just taken them off completely.
I have heard that for drag racing this will be fine, but road course racing this will cause stress on pass side mount area. I am welding a new sump in my tank. While I have the tank out, I am going to reinforce the area by connecting the two sides higher in the chassis so I can drop mine as well.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Notch it out.

Or I will sell you my relocation kit I made and took off. $100