Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving in the Rain with No Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driving in the Rain with No Wipers

*Thinking* about removing the wipers on the Z/28, its just a street/strip car which mainly will be just driven to local cruise nights and such. How bad is it driving without wipers? I know some people have done rain-x on their windows. Just dont want to get stuck somewhere.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have wipers but I have done the rain-x treatment and didnt even use my wipers a few times that **** just beads and runs right over the top of the car! I would deff keep a pack of the wipes in the car if i had no wipers!
Old 02-12-2009, 09:13 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to buff my formula like every week, and what I did was just spray some glass cleaner on the compound that splattered on the glass from the buffer and wipe it off. I had wipers but never needed them, the water just fell off and the glass was always crystal clear. I never had any luck with rain x.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:09 PM
12 Second Club

you should try the rain x without useing your wipers before you actualy remove your wipers.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:15 PM
12 Second Club

i dont think i would go as far as removing the wipers IMO as a 'just in case security feature' unless the car never seen the streets and was strictly a strip car. mine is mainly a strip car but sometimes i do get the urge to cruise the streets so im keeping mine
Old 02-12-2009, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

What made me take mine out is one thing. My tires. I always have drag tires front and rear on the car. Sometimes slicks on the rear if not then a drag radial. I won't drive the car in the rain with them so, thus no wipers needed.

Easy choice for me.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:02 AM
Internet Mechanic

If it drives on the street, keep the wipers.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm Confused, Why would you even bother taking them out, unless you are really trying to get your weight down for drag racing. I guess i could see ripping the squirter system out to save some weight, but is there really that much weight to be saved by taking the wipers out ( im assuming your taking the motors, and all the controls out) Otherwise just taking the arms and blades off is going to take about what less than two pounds off your car?
Old 02-13-2009, 07:49 AM
8 Second Club

I drove to the dyno shootout (which I won btw! ) a couple of weeks ago, in the rain. I rain x'd it before I left, needless to say, it worked but was no substitute for the wipers. I just have not gotten around to hooking up the wiper motor, but I will.
70 mph on drag radials on the highway with no wipers and 1000 hp was a little nerve racking, so I slowed to a snails pace.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:14 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by veee8
I drove to the dyno shootout (which I won btw! ) a couple of weeks ago, in the rain. I rain x'd it before I left, needless to say, it worked but was no substitute for the wipers. I just have not gotten around to hooking up the wiper motor, but I will.
70 mph on drag radials on the highway with no wipers and 1000 hp was a little nerve racking, so I slowed to a snails pace.
Saw your pic in GMHTP, very awesome btw.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:48 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

I drive in the rain on full slicks and DR's all the time, I don't own a pair of regualr tires in fact. Never had a problem. Just use some common sense.

Anyway, I don't think its worth it to remove the wipers. IMO, the more stuff you remove the faster the car needs to be to justify its "unstreetability". If you have a gutted tin can of a car with nothing but a seat and steering wheel it better be in the single digits, otherwise its just sad.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:31 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by dlove
What made me take mine out is one thing. My tires. I always have drag tires front and rear on the car. Sometimes slicks on the rear if not then a drag radial. I won't drive the car in the rain with them so, thus no wipers needed.

Easy choice for me.
same here
Old 02-13-2009, 09:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by deelong4002
I'm Confused, Why would you even bother taking them out, unless you are really trying to get your weight down for drag racing. I guess i could see ripping the squirter system out to save some weight, but is there really that much weight to be saved by taking the wipers out ( im assuming your taking the motors, and all the controls out) Otherwise just taking the arms and blades off is going to take about what less than two pounds off your car?

Some people, like myself, cannot run wipers with the hoods we have. I know my wipers, or wiper cowl, would never fit with my hood.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TS6
I drive in the rain on full slicks and DR's all the time, I don't own a pair of regualr tires in fact. Never had a problem. Just use some common sense.

Anyway, I don't think its worth it to remove the wipers. IMO, the more stuff you remove the faster the car needs to be to justify its "unstreetability". If you have a gutted tin can of a car with nothing but a seat and steering wheel it better be in the single digits, otherwise its just sad.
No matter how good of a driver you or anyone else is, If a slick goes threw a puddle, it WILL hydroplane. If you try to slow down and creep threw it, you then run the risk of someone not expecting a car to be creeping along and the chance of getting rear ended. Happened local to a guy here.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:09 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Camaro396
Some people, like myself, cannot run wipers with the hoods we have. I know my wipers, or wiper cowl, would never fit with my hood.
true story..
Old 02-13-2009, 04:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by deelong4002
agreed. kept my wipers but removed my squirter system. my car stays clean and dont really need a squirter system. now wipers i like to have just in case it starts raining even tho mine has barely seen rain. not worth the weight if your car sees the streets
Old 02-14-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

My car is mostly going to be used for drag racing, but I may occasionly take it to a cruise night or two. I was looking at it since I am trying to get my car down to 2800 pounds and i read you can save 10-15 pounds by pulling the entire system out.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:07 PM
TECH Resident

The Rain X works pretty well. I daily drove a beater S-15 for two years after the wipers quit working and it rains almost every summer day in Florida.