Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam only, winter upgrades. Bitch in on a diet

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 02:03 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by studderin
ya. not sure on the front , but in the back looks like there some extra you can cut. Like the whole bottem off it maybe? Got any pics?

and what do you need to do, I think I saw somone adding washer or something any removing everything? Like just bolting the latch right to the door,
You could remove the whole bracket or you could just cut it like I did. See these two posts:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/9264482-post146.html
and
https://ls1tech.com/forums/9325169-post156.html
Old 03-01-2011, 12:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

cool thanks.

what did you do for putting the latch back on the door.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I may have missed it, but how much did you save by cutting the fender metal?
Old 03-01-2011, 06:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

front or rear?
Old 03-01-2011, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

either or both? I have yet to see what you took out of the back. I am hesitant to take much out of th eback.. i can control somewhat what i run into, i cant control some ******* hitting me from behind..
Old 03-02-2011, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

i didn't weight the fronts. Its been posted form a few guys, I don't remembered were theirs weighted? anyone??? It was maybe 10-13ponds for both sides? I cut them off and left about 1/8 lip for some strength with the bend there, but I cut them off all the way to the back that I dont think most did.
I know cutting them out, the frame horns, some of the lower airdam metal, some of the front plastics. The horn bracket. Was more then I was thinking. It was most of the garbage can and the garage. 30-35????
The car in St. Louise was 3240 I think with me, I was really happy about that. Thats the 16's with MT Drs and full exhausts. Thats the 24/7 street mode, Page 16-17
Were it was 3360 last time I checked "street mode" setup that time you beat me. That was with the truetrac, not cutting anything on the front really. Its all adds up, I still have front and rear stock brakes with Ebrake, I'm hoping to get stranges (???? 100pounds?). The 3rd gen spindles. Get the rear speedglass in (27). The TRZ ARB setup is a little lighter. I'm not done with the back of the car too.

oh my extra wire box is almost 30 too
Old 03-02-2011, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Must have took a lot of wiring out to get 30lbs! After Bill's drag brakes started smoking one day i am a bit leery about them. I think i drive on the street too much to run the drag brakes (?)
Old 03-02-2011, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car in St. Louise was 3240 I think with me, I was really happy about that. Thats the 16's with MT Drs and full exhausts. Thats the 24/7 street mode, Page 16-17
Were it was 3360 last time I checked "street mode" setup that time you beat me.
**** I would have thought it would be lighter than that. What was the stockish starting weight?
Old 03-02-2011, 11:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

it was some weird number like 3430 or 3440, maybe 3340??? without me at metalco stock.
then remember the 6point,s60,steel DS,steel TA, DS loop, billet flywheel. Adds 150-200 over stock parts I would guess.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SIC LSX
DAMN! I see my self doing that! You plan on cutting behind the finders?
Where did this pic come from...lol it looks like my car.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:33 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

cool thanks.

what did you do for putting the latch back on the door.
Sorry about the slight delay. You just bolt it right back in. That bracket that holds the door bars in is a giant L.

With the door bar attached it looks like this:

_ <-- Front of door
l
l
l <-- Door Bar
l
l
L <-- Rear of door by the latch

With cutting out the door bar and part of the bracket it connects to it looks like this:

_ <-- Front of door

<-- No door bar

_ <-- Rear of door by the latch

You just cut the vertical part of the L off and leave the horizontal part. That keeps the piece that the door latch connects to and you just saved some extra weight.

If that needs to be clarified let me know.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:47 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
Where did this pic come from...lol it looks like my car.
If that is your car, did you put anything between the frame rails before you cut all that out? If not, you may have some issues, I bet the front end sagged in when you cut out the support. (This is the reason I am leaving all mine intact until it's on the jig at the chassis shop, so it doesn't get twisted while it's sitting in the garage)
Old 03-10-2011, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Sorry about the slight delay. You just bolt it right back in. That bracket that holds the door bars in is a giant L.

With the door bar attached it looks like this:

_ <-- Front of door
l
l
l <-- Door Bar
l
l
L <-- Rear of door by the latch

With cutting out the door bar and part of the bracket it connects to it looks like this:

_ <-- Front of door

<-- No door bar

_ <-- Rear of door by the latch

You just cut the vertical part of the L off and leave the horizontal part. That keeps the piece that the door latch connects to and you just saved some extra weight.

If that needs to be clarified let me know.

Did you heave the full horizontal (in your drawing) part, or cut it down in height too? I was thinking you could cut the bottom stuff off it too?
Old 03-10-2011, 04:55 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Did you heave the full horizontal (in your drawing) part, or cut it down in height too? I was thinking you could cut the bottom stuff off it too?
That part is attached to the back of the door aka where the door meets body / striker meets the latch. It is glued in place. You could trim some of it off, but you would have to pull it out to trim it otherwise you would risk going through the back of the door. If you look in your door you'll see how it is attached. I just thought it would be way easier to cut part of the bracket where the door bar bolts run through that battle with the bolts. It saves a few extra pounds as well.

You can see where the door bar bolts to the bracket that I removed from the car in this picture as they're still attached.
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/8...removedjt3.jpg

I plan on doing the same thing to my Formula once I get the roll bar in there.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
If that is your car, did you put anything between the frame rails before you cut all that out? If not, you may have some issues, I bet the front end sagged in when you cut out the support. (This is the reason I am leaving all mine intact until it's on the jig at the chassis shop, so it doesn't get twisted while it's sitting in the garage)
Oh I didnt even notice it was cut, not mine then. But its got the same shocks, same k member the previous owner had, same cuts beneath the fender, same wheels and its purple! I havent cut mine yet but ill remember to brace it first.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:19 PM
11 Second Club

this thread sucks. . . no new pics in the past week . . .
Old 03-10-2011, 10:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Cant remember if I saw it in this thread but what were the weights of moroso ds2 front tires compared to 165 kumos?
Old 03-11-2011, 04:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Duffster
this thread sucks. . . no new pics in the past week . . .

no one wants to see boxes
I'll post up all the new stuff when I get the real info compaired to what the old stuff or stock was
Old 03-27-2011, 12:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

old stock junk
Old 03-27-2011, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Bought a set of the Racecraft spindles for 3rd gen brakes. They fit 15,16,17 rims, and I got them with a stock style tapered hole tierod end, no extra charge. So I can run the stock PS rack for now, and just drill it out if I get a manual rack down the road. And a set of the newer strange Pro2 brakes, the stuff is really nice. The rotors slip over the alum rotor hats and just a big spriloc holds them in.So they float on these big teeth on the hat, and they do alot better with heat cycles. Still say there for racing use but a lot of guys with lighter cars said the normal style was fine for street use.
http://www.strangeengineering.net/ne...rake-Kits.html
Every parts has a clean finish with no shape edges, a good plating (black ) , or coating . Nothing is raw alum. or painted. The alum threads have a metal thread insert, unless the part has a lot of threads and isn't something them gets taken apart ever. Came with everything but flex bake lines, and grease.
The wheel studs are 1/2. So need to get new lugnuts for the front brakes. I'm nut sure if I'm gona change the rear over the 1/2 too. Just so the car is all 1/2 for the stock wheels, and drag wheels? I can see it biting me in the *** have the front and rear diffrent sizes for all the street miles and trips I take? Good thing is I think I had my rear axles with 3 patterns 12mm press, (.509 hole or something) 12mm screw and 1/2 screw.

Quick Reply: Cam only, winter upgrades. Bitch in on a diet