Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much 60ft improvement with adjustable shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 01:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much 60ft improvement with adjustable shocks?

If any one could post up before and after 60ft times from switching to adjustable shocks I would appreciate it. I know there are alot of factors but I was wondering. I currently 60ft 1.6x's and was wondering if it is possible to knock it down into the 1.5x's with adjustable front shocks. Car is a 95 Lt1 with 3300 stall, drag radials, many bolt ons and 125 rwhp shot. As far as suspension mods I have an adjustable torque arm and sub frame connectors.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you spin right now when launching? if the answer is no then there are improvements to be made elsewhere before spending the money on a budget backyard build.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by xpndbl3
do you spin right now when launching? if the answer is no then there are improvements to be made elsewhere before spending the money on a budget backyard build.
That is not very good advice.. Just because you don't spin on launch doesn't mean your 60' can't improve. I would like to know how much adjustables could help as well..
Old 03-12-2009, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

How would it improve if he already is at max traction? The car can't accelerate any faster that what it is right now or else he would have wheel spin. It is tossing money away IMO.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Magnet
That is not very good advice.. Just because you don't spin on launch doesn't mean your 60' can't improve. I would like to know how much adjustables could help as well..
ok, not picking on you, but i will pick on your answer. this is what is wrong with the internet. magnet, do you know what it takes to come out of the hole hard? it looks like you recently got the car into the 1.59 60' range, but you are quick to tell someone else, who gives a generic blanket statement (which i feel he is correct) and tell them they are wrong.

the truth is, double adjustable will always help if you need more traction. how much? its impossible to tell unless we have all the info on the car, and the expectations of the owner once the DA shocks are on it. what tire? what ET/MPH?

if you are not spinning, double adjustable (or any other shock) wont help you. as long as you can apply all the power you have, you dont need to change a thing. the moment you want to come out with more power, then lets address the issue. not spinning is not good for 60' times either, as you need to maintain wheel speed for best results.

I dont have double adjustable shocks (or single adjustables!) and go 1.3 60' times in a heavy car. to the OP, based on what you are saying, i doubt you will need double adjustable shocks.

Last edited by gator's 99TA; 03-13-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

1.3's? Jesus, may I ask what you do have as far as suspension?
Old 03-12-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

Well my car does spin a little especially if I spray out of the hole. I guess my question is what kind of results did you see when the adjustables were put on?
Old 03-12-2009, 11:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by not7fifteen
1.3's? Jesus, may I ask what you do have as far as suspension?
stock front shocks, cheap Comp Engineering rear shocks, BMR suspension. nothing special at all.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

What I am saying is that just because he may not be spinning, doesn't mean he couldn't benefit from them. Like you said too much traction could also be an issue and the added weight transfer could only help as well. I understand what you are saying Gator, but I do think that his response was not good advice. Like you said we would need to know other variables to know whether they would help or not. I'm sure you know more than me, and I know you sixty foot great with your stock shocks, but I wonder if adjustables could only help you as well..

This is not to say the money couldn't be more wisely spent somewhere else, but only to get an actual answer of whether he or I for that matter would benefit from them.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

there is much more to launching well than shocks or suspension tuning. its the tune up to get the car come out hard and keeping the wheel speed up. a LOT of it is power management.

in any event, if the OP advised on his combo and his goals, we could help him out more.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:13 PM
8 Second Club

Guys i will step in and **** all of you off. Shocks are just a way to change a rate of change. And just because you are dead hooking does not by no means mean you cant improve on your short times. Slow the rate of change down and use all you power for going forward not picking up the front seperating the rear are twisting anything. ( if you are going up you are not going forward) On a bolt on car fronts would be a better investment and next would be doubles on the rear. A two fold thing would be coil overs on the front. Get rid of the big springs and get a way to control the front end rate. The less the car moves around and stays hooked the quicker your short time.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by pmbmax
Guys i will step in and **** all of you off. Shocks are just a way to change a rate of change. And just because you are dead hooking does not by no means mean you cant improve on your short times. Slow the rate of change down and use all you power for going forward not picking up the front seperating the rear are twisting anything. ( if you are going up you are not going forward) On a bolt on car fronts would be a better investment and next would be doubles on the rear. A two fold thing would be coil overs on the front. Get rid of the big springs and get a way to control the front end rate. The less the car moves around and stays hooked the quicker your short time.
I have to agree. When you get to the faster cars DA shocks in the front seem even less important when you only have one inch of travel anyway, DA shocks in the rear become more important though.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:23 PM
TECH Resident

Good info guys! I appreciate it!.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

here is what you need..non adjustable lower control arms, set adjustable torque arm at -2.5 pinion angle and add QA1 12 way adjustable shocks.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:26 PM
8 Second Club

The same set up hardly ever works on two cars. I have had cars with boxed lowers with bushings ,relocation brackets , stock torque arm panhard,and shocks pull better short times than a car with adj, TA, shocks, adj lowers,even tubular a arms (Some one elses car they set up ). power and traction is what makes a good short time but the thread is on shocks up front. and with the power he has adjustable fronts with the small coilovers would be a good start. less weight and some adjustment. QUOTE=omcar;11246877]here is what you need..non adjustable lower control arms, set adjustable torque arm at -2.5 pinion angle and add QA1 12 way adjustable shocks.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-17-2009, 08:12 AM
TECH Regular

I feel similar to what Gator said. It is more about power managment. I am also going 1.3 60' times on completely stock shocks and springs on the front and back of my car. I wanted to get DA on the front and back of my car, but the car hooks good the way it is. If it aint broke don't fix it.

Quick Reply: How much 60ft improvement with adjustable shocks?