Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enclosed car trailer guys

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Enclosed car trailer guys

I bought an enclosed 30' gooseneck cargo trailer for a song, couldnt pass it up. But it is meant to be used as a cargo trailer in its door and inside clear dimensions. The door is no biggy, I am going to convert it to a ramp and get the width to about 6'8". My question, what are your clear width dimensions between your fender wells in the interior of the trailer. As it sits, this one is at 6'0 1/4". I plan to put on 1" wheel spacers per side, that will enable me to move the the fender well sheetmetal out to around 6'5". An F-body is right at 6' wide, not counting the mirrors.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:34 PM
9 Second Club

mine is like 8.5 inside.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mdacton
mine is like 8.5 inside.
Do what? Thats an over width load if you were right. A semi cargo trailer isnt that width inside dims. I mean between the fender wells, not inside walls, and you still cant be that wide between your walls..........are you?
Old 03-23-2009, 08:50 PM
8 Second Club

Inside wall to wall 95 1/2 " inside finder to finder 80 1/2" just went and pulled a tape on it
Old 03-23-2009, 09:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by pmbmax
Inside wall to wall 95 1/2 " inside finder to finder 80 1/2" just went and pulled a tape on it
Thanks for pulling it. That puts you at 6'8 1/2". That a pretty comforable number loading and unloading the car?
I think I can really push it and get to 6'6 1/2" that would be a maxed out number.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:13 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
Thanks for pulling it. That puts you at 6'8 1/2". That a pretty comforable number loading and unloading the car?
I think I can really push it and get to 6'6 1/2" that would be a maxed out number.
Yeah it is pretty easy fit. Do you have a cage? i could get in and out easy with the 10 point but when i had to go to 25.5 cage i can but it is tight. a thing i would look at is a wheel that will remove it gives you more rooom to turn your body to climb out.( i am 240lbs and only 5'11") I also purchased a Gorellia wench they make a boat /rv/ trailer winch that will pull our cars with ease and it comes with a tetherd remote and a wireless. works great i can find you the link if you want.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:16 PM
8 Second Club

I forgot is it a torsion bar a soild axle
Old 03-24-2009, 08:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by pmbmax
Yeah it is pretty easy fit. Do you have a cage? i could get in and out easy with the 10 point but when i had to go to 25.5 cage i can but it is tight. a thing i would look at is a wheel that will remove it gives you more rooom to turn your body to climb out.( i am 240lbs and only 5'11") I also purchased a Gorellia wench they make a boat /rv/ trailer winch that will pull our cars with ease and it comes with a tetherd remote and a wireless. works great i can find you the link if you want.
About to go back to a door bar. As of right now I only have 6 pts behind the seat. When I go back to a door bar I am going to put in a removable sparco wheel.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2009, 06:53 PM
9 Second Club

Do what? Thats an over width load if you were right. A semi cargo trailer isnt that width inside dims. I mean between the fender wells, not inside walls, and you still cant be that wide between your walls..........are you?
I measured it. right at 8' wall to wall and 6'10 inside the fenders. My door hits the fender so I can't open the door all the way, but I get out with the window down and door open with a cage and I am 6'4 or so and 285

torsion axle too, if that helps
Old 03-25-2009, 07:12 PM
8 Second Club

WRONG Semi Trailers are 8ft inside 8.5 outside. We run semi's we whould no
Old 03-25-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

No, not wrong. He said 8.5' inside. I understand a semi is 8.5' outside. Any wider and you are a wide load. I haul DOT dual tandem loads, so I follow what you are saying.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:59 AM
FormerVendor

Forget trying to squeeze in and out of the car inside teh trailer. I mean, you can do it, but it is a big time PIA. Just invest in a winch so you can winch teh car up. I can't remember how wide my 44' was, but trying to get in/out of a full cage car inside the trailer I was not gonna do. At my age, not a monkey anymore
Old 03-26-2009, 09:21 AM
TECH Addict

For the condition the trailer is in, I am going to clean it up, throw a fresh coat of paint on it and sell it. It is worth about the same as a 24' bumper pull car hauler.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:54 PM
FormerVendor

For the condition the trailer is in, I am going to clean it up, throw a fresh coat of paint on it and sell it. It is worth about the same as a 24' bumper pull car hauler.

Why would you want an open carrier over teh enclosed?
Old 03-26-2009, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

No, I meant a traditional 24' enclosed car hauler. This thing now is a gooseneck 30' with (2) 7K lb torsion axles. Heavy trailer for someone that needs the capacity.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:55 PM
9 Second Club

No, I meant a traditional 24' enclosed car hauler. This thing now is a gooseneck 30' with (2) 7K lb torsion axles. Heavy trailer for someone that needs the capacity.
I'd say getting a 24' tag along is a better bet.....

by the time you spend money on a ramp door and all it won't be worth it. plus thats way more trailer than I would want to haul around.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:16 PM
FormerVendor

Ok gotcha. Still not sure I would sell it too get a smaller one. But, I am not looking in person at teh 30' to see really what condition it is in, and you are. Good luck.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mdacton
I'd say getting a 24' tag along is a better bet.....

by the time you spend money on a ramp door and all it won't be worth it. plus thats way more trailer than I would want to haul around.
Sometimes I hate the internet...........its so hard to get what you mean across. I can buy exactly the trailer I want, slightly used, with a ramp door, 24' in length and ready to go wherever for what the trailer I have now is worth. I haul a 32' gooseneck dual tandem atleast 2 days per week with 12K+ lbs. I can use the enclosure for hauling some things we build for work as well so it makes sense.

This trailer has about a 25' flat deck bottom, with around 7' of elevated storage to the tip of the gooseneck. The overall on the trailer would be around 8' longer with the goosneck vs. the bumper pull in a 24' variety. All I would loose is the elevated storage and 1' of bottom deck. I simply cant get the width I need to comfortably haul the car in this thing. Its an 8' outside instead of the 8'6.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my friend and i use a 8.5x24 tag and its kinda a pain to get out of the third gen with the cage it has... we are planning on install a winch.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:23 PM
8 Second Club

Sometimes I hate the internet...........its so hard to get what you mean across. I can buy exactly the trailer I want, slightly used, with a ramp door, 24' in length and ready to go wherever for what the trailer I have now is worth. I haul a 32' gooseneck dual tandem atleast 2 days per week with 12K+ lbs. I can use the enclosure for hauling some things we build for work as well so it makes sense.

This trailer has about a 25' flat deck bottom, with around 7' of elevated storage to the tip of the gooseneck. The overall on the trailer would be around 8' longer with the goosneck vs. the bumper pull in a 24' variety. All I would loose is the elevated storage and 1' of bottom deck. I simply cant get the width I need to comfortably haul the car in this thing. Its an 8' outside instead of the 8'6.
The only thing i would tell you is to try to find somthing with at least 5000lbs twin axles . You cant find a 10 ply tire in a 15 inch rim. And all the 8 lug stuff is 16 inch. This dont make ant sense but tire problems is the biggest problem with big trailers. I ordered mine with 7200 lb twins and now i run Firstone load range E But the ones it come from the factory with lasted less than 5,000 miles. the point i am trying to tell you is dont buy a trailer with twin 3000 lb axels with a 5 lug wheel you will regreat it later trust me been there .