Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summit seat

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Summit seat

I searched and there were alot of threads asking how to mount them(kinda like this one) and no real answers.
So, I'm getting this seat:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
I have a stock power driver seat in it now. If I went to this one, I would at least like to be able to move it back and forth towards the dash. Now, should I just find a manual camaro driver seat from the junk yard and get the underneath guts? Or could I take my manual passenger seat and steal the tracks from it? Is that possible?
I just need to know how to mount this seat and be able to adjust it back and forth. I have heard by someone who has done it(gave me very little info), that as long as I don't mind drilling new holes in my floor board, which I don't at all, that it will bolt right in. Any advice at all? Thanks guys.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Anybody know? I'm sure this seat is just like others. I just need to basically know that if get a manual driver seat, I can take the bottom from it and be able to install the summit one and be able to adjust it.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i put seats like that in my third gen. i made up some steel bracing. i put the factory seat sliders on the stock mounting location and bolted them down. then i bolted the steel bracing that i made to the bottom of the seat. then i sat the seat on the factory sliders and marked them with a sharpie. took it out of the car and put some tach welds on the bracing to hold them.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

K thanks. So it will work. I just gotta find a manual seat.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yep. i was wondering what i was gonna do too. then i came up with this idea. hope it works for you.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well summit has mounts for this seat but not the slidy adjustor things.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it all depends on how you want to adjust it, when I made my mount I drilled 3 sets of holes to allow for 3 positions of adjustment. I have to unbolt it, move it to the hole I want and bolt it back down...

You can see the additional mounting holes in this pic, sorry no other pics of the mount right now, but I can try and get more when I get the car back from getting the cage installed if you want more...
http://www.1slowformula.com/images/w...reduction4.jpg
Old 06-01-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice. Thanks for the pic. Is it annoying to move?
I want it to slide like a factory manual tracks seat.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by keith_AE2010
Nice. Thanks for the pic. Is it annoying to move?
I want it to slide like a factory manual tracks seat.
It will be more annoying once it is bolted to the cage, so I will probably never move it again. I did it that way in case my wife or somone else wanted to drive the car and then we would just pop it up amd move it and it only took about 2-3 minutes or less, now that the cage is going in and the car is more of play toy for me, I will not really need to move it...

I have seen pics of guys using the factory manual slider, but I think it set the seat up too high for some guys, either way it shouldn't be too hard for you to get a manual slider and a thin (3/16 at least) plate of aluminum to span the 2 sides of the mount then mount the seat to the plate...
Old 06-01-2009, 04:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok. Well, summit has mounts specifically for this seat that you can buy to put in to the floor.
I thought, maybe I'll just do that and get a manual seat and make it work. I'm just not sure if it would all bolt together or if I really needed summits brackets.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, so after looking around on summit's site some more, I found what I need.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...1&autoview=sku
This will bolt directly to my summit seat and make me be able to slide it back and forth. All that will bolt onto the top of this:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...1&autoview=sku
Which will then bolt into my floor board.

I should have read all the descriptions before hand. I wonder if that will bolt up to my stock seat bolts, or I really will have to drill holes into the floor pan.