Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big embarassing traction issues, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 01:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kmracer
road racey stuff isnt good for weight transfer.

shocks and springs baby! strange adjutables, with 300 lb springs. make sure the coil overs are cranked up, you dont want the car to have to work to raise the nose. you want it to pop up.
I also recently called ground control too, a 300 lb. spring is easy for me to do. Most def. going to look into this is well. Also I understand Bilstein HD's are a 50/50 shock. Doesn't seem like my car is as far off as I thought it was and it only needs minor changes and a few parts.

I'm really starting to sort some of these problems sorted out I think. Looking forward to getting some new best short times.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:41 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by joblo1978
a ground control coilover kit with bilsteins
There is your problem. You're trying to drag race with a road racing setup.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bird_Of_Prey
There is your problem. You're trying to drag race with a road racing setup.
Can you explain how my ground control kit is a "road race" setup?
Old 06-21-2009, 10:48 PM
Banned

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...l#post11793629

Well, I think I got onto a little something here. I don't know how I'm not going to do better timewise this weekend.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Banned

Allright, went out last night after some adjustments. I went from this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_Vz4HzxfZ8

To this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_FAbHk7KLA

That ATV is really annoying!

This was after putting in a UMI adjustable TA, and adjusting my LCA's to a higher setting. I also adjusted the coilovers in the back to level the car out a bit more. The tires are different, but I don't think that's making a huge difference at this point.

The biggest difference is the weight transfer and how it carries so much better throughout the 60'. Tire spin was greatly reduced and I'm able to launch at a higer RPM. I can still get it to blow the tires off, but it's definitely hooking better, more consistent and easier.

Top video was a 1.87, bottom was a 1.84. But besides that I was just able to get it alot easier. I believe I had a few 1.86's and 1.87's as well.

Funny thing is was the 1.84 was my first run. I really think my fuel level started playing a big role in my 60's. That was with half of a tank and I ran about 13 times. Worst shorts were at the end of the night.

I thought about taking the swaybar off like many of you all have said and others at the track last night, but wanted to see what these adjustments were going to do which was cool. I also remember about 2 months ago I installed poly swaybar bushings. Probably isn't helping me pull the front at all.

I'm still debating whether to go to some 300 lb. ground control front springs
Old 06-28-2009, 01:40 AM
TECH Resident

Seems like youre asking for help but disregarding everyone elses suggestions. Theyre all saying youre trying to drag race with a road race setup because the Ground Control setup isnt a drag setup. And the taking the sway bar off helps the nose of the car to come up. Youre completely nuking your setup.

Taking the sway bar off is one of the free mods you can do from the get-go as soon as you get your car to get your 60 ft down. The sway bars first job is to help keep the front of the car planted. In drag racing, youre doing the exact opposite so it only seems natural to lose it.

As for the sidewall, I wont say you need more because Ive seen some 1.6s on 18" rims. Its there you just have to set your combination of front/rear suspension, and tire pressure up for what youre doing. And I would lose as much weight off the front as possible so you can get some more weight transfer on top of those tires so you wont spin.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sold on the sidewall thing yet, not to gain just a few tenths. Not transferring weight though? What are you a rocket scientist?

I'll be calling BMR, UMI, and Madman this week.

I will tell you what side wall helps but in a M6 car bias ply tires makes a big difference. I was struggling for traction with my 275 50 15 ET street radials and swap to 26x11.5 15 ET street bias plys and it is a completely different car. I can punch the car in a first gear roll on the street and the car hooks. Things that also helped me were going from my lowering springs back to Stock springs and installing a set of QA1 shocks in the rear.

Just on a side note I run no front sway bar, and I have a BMR rear drag bar.

Yes getting a stick car to hook with Drag Radials is possible but it is much easier with bias plys

On a side not the only way I got my car down to 1.7 60's on a 275 40 17 ET street radial was slipping the clutch not dumping it.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BSmiff
Seems like youre asking for help but disregarding everyone elses suggestions. Theyre all saying youre trying to drag race with a road race setup because the Ground Control setup isnt a drag setup. And the taking the sway bar off helps the nose of the car to come up. Youre completely nuking your setup.

Taking the sway bar off is one of the free mods you can do from the get-go as soon as you get your car to get your 60 ft down. The sway bars first job is to help keep the front of the car planted. In drag racing, youre doing the exact opposite so it only seems natural to lose it.

As for the sidewall, I wont say you need more because Ive seen some 1.6s on 18" rims. Its there you just have to set your combination of front/rear suspension, and tire pressure up for what youre doing. And I would lose as much weight off the front as possible so you can get some more weight transfer on top of those tires so you wont spin.
No, I've taken lots of peoples suggestions and got some gains. The ground controls aren't an all out "drag" setup I know, but neither is the stock suspension. Everyone is bashing my shocks and springs when I can use any spring rate I want AND adjust my ride height independently. My Trans Am is not a "drag" only car so I'm just going to have to make this work. I will be pulling the front sway off very soon though to see what kind of gains I get from that. Some slicks and skinnies will come eventually along with some more weight reduction. Unless someone else wants to buy them for me they'll get here faster, any volunteers? Anyone wanna hooke me up? I didn't think so. If I could **** drag race suspension parts and tires I would but I'm bent on making THIS setup work.

All I'm really trying to get at this point in time as an 11 second slip. Could be 11.999 and I would be happy for awhile.

FWIW, this is a buddy of mine launching, WITH A GROUND CONTROL setup and the same shocks that I have, same spring rates and everything. He does 5 and 6 thousand RPM clutch dumps spraying a hundred shot. This is also a H/C car putting down over 500 RWHP. You can hear it, and I know it's a ground control because I put it in for him. He also has 3.73's and ET streets bias pli tires though. Pretty consistent with the 1.6's, front sway still on the car also. He however is not in the eleven's either, 12.20's are his best. Our altitude is very high.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSBbiOCjTvI

All the spring and shock bashing when I've SEEN this setup work pretty well. Not perfect but it gets him what he wants.

Last edited by joblo1978; 06-28-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, I've taken lots of peoples suggestions and got some gains. The ground controls aren't an all out "drag" setup I know, but neither is the stock suspension. Everyone is bashing my shocks and springs when I can use any spring rate I want AND adjust my ride height independently. My Trans Am is not a "drag" only car so I'm just going to have to make this work. I will be pulling the front sway off very soon though to see what kind of gains I get from that. Some slicks and skinnies will come eventually along with some more weight reduction. Unless someone else wants to buy them for me they'll get here faster, any volunteers? Anyone wanna hooke me up? I didn't think so. If I could **** drag race suspension parts and tires I would but I'm bent on making THIS setup work.

All I'm really trying to get at this point in time as an 11 second slip. Could be 11.999 and I would be happy for awhile.

FWIW, this is a buddy of mine launching, WITH A GROUND CONTROL setup and the same shocks that I have, same spring rates and everything. He does 5 and 6 thousand RPM clutch dumps spraying a hundred shot. This is also a H/C car putting down over 500 RWHP. You can hear it, and I know it's a ground control because I put it in for him. He also has 3.73's and ET streets bias pli tires though. Pretty consistent with the 1.6's, front sway still on the car also. He however is not in the eleven's either, 12.20's are his best. Our altitude is very high.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSBbiOCjTvI

All the spring and shock bashing when I've SEEN this setup work pretty well. Not perfect but it gets him what he wants.
Your car looked much better, just seemed to bog some but couldnt tell over that f'n dirtbike or whatever it was. I think you will see a nice 60ft with that sway off.

That white camaro did transfer weight nice but you can tell by teh body it unloaded quick, probably from the sway pulling the body back down, with the sway off he probably would have pulled the front wheels off the ground.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:28 PM
12 Second Club

I think if you maybe raised the front coil overs up to preload the rear, ran with a full tank of gas and took off your sway bar you would dead hook that bitch.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SleeperZzZ28
I think if you maybe raised the front coil overs up to preload the rear, ran with a full tank of gas and took off your sway bar you would dead hook that bitch.
Yeah, the front is raised up a bit higher than the rear.

I will be taking the rest of your advice this weekend
Old 07-10-2009, 09:32 AM
Banned

So I yanked the front sway endlinks. I'm going to try it tonight. Part of the reason I can't get a good 60' is have 3.42 gears though.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I yanked the front sway endlinks. I'm going to try it tonight. Part of the reason I can't get a good 60' is have 3.42 gears though.
Results should be good, it launches way different without the sway, id remove the entire sway just to get the weight off but it will still transfer alot better.