Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Master electrical disconnect problem, alt exiter not shutting off car

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Master electrical disconnect problem, alt exiter not shutting off car

Trying to wire a master switch, switch isn't here yet, still in the mail, but I'm testing the wiring.

If I disconnect the alt exiter circuit (PIN 15 out of pcm) first, then battery second, the car shuts off.

If I disconnect the battery first and the exiter circuit second, the car stays running.

I hope that the master switch cuts the power to the alt circut a split second before the battery because if it doesn't this won't work. Or maybe the simultaneous disconnect will do the trick but its hard to do with 2 hands when testing the circutry.

Thoughts?
Old 09-01-2009, 07:15 PM
9 Second Club

wire the big wire on the alt directly to the battery before the switch or get a painless alt relay.

Other than that I would not trust it.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is anyone using the exiter circuit to kill the alt?? I rather not run big hot cable back and forth thru the car if I don't absolutely have to.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by QUASAR
Is anyone using the exiter circuit to kill the alt?? I rather not run big hot cable back and forth thru the car if I don't absolutely have to.
That won't be legal for the track. Has to have the wire run to the battery side of the switch.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

you only need a 10 gauge wire from alt to switch,so its not that big,than run batt cable to heavy duty relay[i.e ford soliniod]and power car from there,
Old 09-03-2009, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPEEDYws6
That won't be legal for the track. Has to have the wire run to the battery side of the switch.
This is not for NHRA, IHRA or any dragracing. It's for NASA roadracing and the rules say the master switch must cut power to the entire car, and thats it. No specifics on wiring as long as everything is dead minus the battery lead to the switch.

Originally Posted by NRC-Motorsports
you only need a 10 gauge wire from alt to switch,so its not that big,than run batt cable to heavy duty relay[i.e ford soliniod]and power car from there,
If I only have to use 10ga thats not bad. Isn't the factory wire that runs from the alt to the bat bigger than 10ga though?
Old 09-03-2009, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

This is not for NHRA, IHRA or any dragracing. It's for NASA roadracing and the rules say the master switch must cut power to the entire car, and thats it. No specifics on wiring as long as everything is dead minus the battery lead to the switch.

If I only have to use 10ga thats not bad. Isn't the factory wire that runs from the alt to the bat bigger than 10ga though?
im sorry 8 gauge, still a small wire but not o gauge,