Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Unloading At Launch..? (Vids)

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 01:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
Update:

I got the Strange single adj front shocks installed and they are most definitely helping. I ran a new personal best et and mph last night. I'm not just knocking on the door of the 10's, I'm banging on the f*(ker.

60' - 1.66
1/8 et - 7.111
1/8 mph - 99.22
1/4 et 11.03
1/4 mph 125.55

Also backed it up with an 11.09 @ 124.98.

The car seemed to like setting 3 on the front shocks (1 being lightest, 10 being stiffest). I'm going to try resetting the front of the torque arm back down one hole the next time I head out and see if the rear suspension will stay loaded now with the new front shocks. Our video camera freaked out so I didn't get this run on video, but I should have the 11.09 run uploaded in a day or so.

Mike
Mike that's whats up! taking a tenth off in the 60 on the first time out

now see if you can leave harder...what psi were the tires at this time out, and launch RPM?

you have 10's in it for sure. congrats.

Chad
Old 09-27-2009, 01:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nimitz87
Mike that's whats up! taking a tenth off in the 60 on the first time out

now see if you can leave harder...what psi were the tires at this time out, and launch RPM?

you have 10's in it for sure. congrats.

Chad
Thanks Chad. I had the tires at 12 psi on all of the passes last night because I was only adjusting the front shock settings. I was leaving between 5000 and 5500 off the line. The car really needs a two step to control the launch rpm more consistently.

Mike
Old 09-27-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Those are some nice T/A mount plates you made! You would happen to work in fabrication would you?

Glad to see the shocks made a difference for you, hopefully it just gets better and better.

What track is that in your vids?
Old 09-27-2009, 02:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by fknsmshn
Those are some nice T/A mount plates you made! You would happen to work in fabrication would you?

Glad to see the shocks made a difference for you, hopefully it just gets better and better.

What track is that in your vids?
Thanks man. No I don't work in fabrication as a trade, it's just a hobby that I truly enjoy. I normally work in Civil Engineering but I'm out of work at the moment. Eventually I'd love to have a vertical mill and a metal lathe, but those are expensive and this car hobby is taking up all the money lol....

Those passes were at Portland Internationl Raceway.

Mike
Old 09-27-2009, 02:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Man watch auctions. I just saw a manual vertical in good shape go for 50 bucks lol. By the way, Im a machinist, thats why I asked lol.

I thought it might be PIR, but wasnt sure. Hopefully next year I can make it down there for some runs.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:27 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks Chad. I had the tires at 12 psi on all of the passes last night because I was only adjusting the front shock settings. I was leaving between 5000 and 5500 off the line. The car really needs a two step to control the launch rpm more consistently.

Mike
Mike good on you adjusting one thing at a time...now see if you can up the pressure on the tires and you'll be golden...a 1.5x 60' = you in the 10's for sure.

Chad
Old 09-28-2009, 12:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thats a great start, your knock the time down still.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by fknsmshn
Man watch auctions. I just saw a manual vertical in good shape go for 50 bucks lol. By the way, Im a machinist, thats why I asked lol.

I thought it might be PIR, but wasnt sure. Hopefully next year I can make it down there for some runs.
I almost bought a used manual vert mill last year and I've been kicking myself ever since lol.... If you make it down here next year be sure to shoot me a pm or something.

Mike good on you adjusting one thing at a time...now see if you can up the pressure on the tires and you'll be golden...a 1.5x 60' = you in the 10's for sure.

Chad
Chad, right now the car is still mostly spinning. I only got two good runs that hooked up but even on those she was still spinning coming out the hole. I reviewed the latest vids and there was no air under the DS tire lol... Got alot of shock extension (weight transfer) but the track still isn't holding the tires. Once I get the suspension to do what it should, then I'll look at raising the tire pressure. For now I think 12psi seems to be a good happy medium for the car.

Originally Posted by studderin

thats a great start, your knock the time down still.
Thanks man. I have faith that she's got a 10 second pass in her this year once I get the suspension settings sorted out. I think I need to raise the front end up a little bit too. She's sitting just slightly lower in the front than it was before, but we were running out of time on adjusting the height and I needed to get the car to the track lol... Those 275# springs on the front are SOFT...... lol.

BTW, I stumbled on your old thread about weight reduction, good stuff in there. The car has had some moderate weight reduction already, but she'll be going on a serious diet this winter.

Any other suggestions from anyone on what I should adjust/check would be great.

Mike
Old 09-28-2009, 12:39 PM
12 Second Club

I almost bought a used manual vert mill last year and I've been kicking myself ever since lol.... If you make it down here next year be sure to shoot me a pm or something.

Chad, right now the car is still mostly spinning. I only got two good runs that hooked up but even on those she was still spinning coming out the hole. I reviewed the latest vids and there was no air under the DS tire lol... Got alot of shock extension (weight transfer) but the track still isn't holding the tires. Once I get the suspension to do what it should, then I'll look at raising the tire pressure. For now I think 12psi seems to be a good happy medium for the car.

Thanks man. I have faith that she's got a 10 second pass in her this year once I get the suspension settings sorted out. I think I need to raise the front end up a little bit too. She's sitting just slightly lower in the front than it was before, but we were running out of time on adjusting the height and I needed to get the car to the track lol... Those 275# springs on the front are SOFT...... lol.

BTW, I stumbled on your old thread about weight reduction, good stuff in there. The car has had some moderate weight reduction already, but she'll be going on a serious diet this winter.

Any other suggestions from anyone on what I should adjust/check would be great.

Mike
why'd you go w/ the 275's? what's the height of the rear/front of the car? looks like quite a bit of rake in your sig pic?

what's the car weigh right now?

are your tires spinning on the rim at all?

our cars sit relatively close rake wise...I'm rocking a 3/4" rake tried to get it level and may actually raise the front to do so.

Chad

Last edited by Nimitz87; 09-28-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:02 PM
11 Second Club

why'd you go w/ the 275's? what's the height of the rear/front of the car? looks like quite a bit of rake in your sig pic?

what's the car weigh right now?

are your tires spinning on the rim at all?

our cars sit relatively close rake wise...I'm rocking a 3/4" rake tried to get it level and may actually raise the front to do so.

Chad
That's an old pic in my sig but yes, it's at 3/4" rake right now. To the top of the wheelwell, it sits at 26-1/2 at the rear and 25-3/4 in the front. Is it better to have a little rake, or have it level?

As for the weight of the car, I'm not certain. My track doesn't sport a scale and the closest weigh station that I know of is about 80 miles from here. If I had to guess, I'd put the car around 3300 by itself.

I got the 275 springs on the recomendation of Eric at MWC. My car has a BMR Kmember, no abs module, no A/C, aluminum block, no front bumper support. Still have the battery up front but it's getting moved to the back of the car this winter.

The ps tire is spinning about 1" to 2" on the rim for each pass depending how hard it hooks. Driver side tire isn't spinning on the rim at all.

Mike
Old 09-28-2009, 01:44 PM
12 Second Club

That's an old pic in my sig but yes, it's at 3/4" rake right now. To the top of the wheelwell, it sits at 26-1/2 at the rear and 25-3/4 in the front. Is it better to have a little rake, or have it level?

As for the weight of the car, I'm not certain. My track doesn't sport a scale and the closest weigh station that I know of is about 80 miles from here. If I had to guess, I'd put the car around 3300 by itself.

I got the 275 springs on the recomendation of Eric at MWC. My car has a BMR Kmember, no abs module, no A/C, aluminum block, no front bumper support. Still have the battery up front but it's getting moved to the back of the car this winter.

The ps tire is spinning about 1" to 2" on the rim for each pass depending how hard it hooks. Driver side tire isn't spinning on the rim at all.

Mike
Mike our cars sit exactly the same w/ the 3/4" rake I've been told that SOME rake is ok, but the massive rakes you see normally certainly don't help its hard to get these cars dead level w/o tubs.

Chad
Old 09-28-2009, 02:11 PM
11 Second Club

Mike our cars sit exactly the same w/ the 3/4" rake I've been told that SOME rake is ok, but the massive rakes you see normally certainly don't help its hard to get these cars dead level w/o tubs.

Chad
Nice lol.... I think I could come up about 1/4" in the front without it looking weird.

What size tire are you running on the back? Looks like they're 27" or 28" tall. Some mini-tubs might be in my future this winter also. Eventually I'd like some 27 or 28's on a 10" wheel, narrow the 9" and a steeper rear gear. That won't happen until I'm back to work though lol.....

Mike
Old 09-28-2009, 02:16 PM
12 Second Club

Nice lol.... I think I could come up about 1/4" in the front without it looking weird.

What size tire are you running on the back? Looks like they're 27" or 28" tall. Some mini-tubs might be in my future this winter also. Eventually I'd like some 27 or 28's on a 10" wheel, narrow the 9" and a steeper rear gear. That won't happen until I'm back to work though lol.....

Mike
yeah they are 28's, I'll be swapping to 275/60/15 MT radials since I'm going auto now

Chad

Quick Reply: Suspension Unloading At Launch..? (Vids)