Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has used this Rear Sway Bar??

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 05:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by N2RACINGLS1's
I have used this bar for 3 years and love it. Many low 1.40 60 foot times with a little ole 346 CI engine NA on a 26 inch tire. Front bar is off with adjustable shocks on back and front. I have not really had any problem driving around but I do not drive the car much anymore.

N2
I can believe that, I have full spohn adj suspension with the rod ends. This drag bar made a huge difference with the way I was launching or even getting on it. It used to squat so bad and just want to go to the left. No with no adjustments and first time to track. I got 5 1.60 60 foots in a row, last pass I had help getting in grove and went 1.53 60 foot. All with no 2 step, more results to come as I just got my 2 step hooked up.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:53 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This car will have QA1's and for that reason UMI nis looking very attractive now. Thank you all for the input, this is extremely helpful.

R- series fronts and 12 way rears and lets say the UMI bar will be a good set up to compliment the BMR TQ arms, LCA and Pan hard rod.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:49 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Only running Comp Engineering shocks out back so not worried about the fact a bigger shock does not work. Mr. KP went a best of 1.23 with a Spohn Drag Bar and Comp Engineering Shocks so I am good for a long time.

N2
Like I said the Spohn bar works fine, but since the BMR and UMI are pretty much the exact same thing except they DO clear bigger shocks so why would anyone buy the Spohn.

The BMR is a little lighter (slightly smaller diameter and uses aluminum brackets and end link adjusters) and there isnt much of a price difference. The UMI looks good as well, I have an UMI K-member, A-Arms, rear arms and subframes on the new car, they make nice stuff.

Its a pretty simple device really and they all do the same thing so it boils down to price and if you care if clears the bigger shocks or not.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:48 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by kp
The Spohn wont clear bigger shocks, until they fix that I dont know why anyone would buy one when there are other choices out there.
The original person that started this thread asked if anyone was using the bar and I gave my input but I forgot to say that my back shocks were Comp Engineering pieces. Sounds like he has gotten good advice from others as well and since he is going to use 12 way QA1's it sounds like he is going to need the room of the UMI bar! Just do not see any reason to talk down Spohn parts!

I happen to have all Spohn suspension and the product is a good piece! If I ever decide to spend the money to have a fast car I may upgrade to bigger shocks on the back and will buy a UMI drag bar at that time or an updated Spohn Bar!

N2

Last edited by N2RACINGLS1's; 09-27-2009 at 06:49 AM.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have thw sphon drag bar and had to grind down the bar pretty good so it wouldn't hit my qa1 shocks,If i was to do it again i would go with umi or bmr.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:08 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by inteness-402
I have thw sphon drag bar and had to grind down the bar pretty good so it wouldn't hit my qa1 shocks,If i was to do it again i would go with umi or bmr.
And that is the game folks, I think it will be UMI.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:49 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
And that is the game folks, I think it will be UMI.
Thank you

If we can assist you in anyway please ask. Thanks again!
Ryan
Old 09-27-2009, 08:08 PM
11 Second Club

i have the UMI rear drag bar on my car & it's a very nice piece. i have a real light clunk coming from the rod ends, but also havent really adjusted it yet to preload it. i keep forgetting to call UMI & see how they set the adjustment, as i think i threw my instructions away when i opened it up.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:29 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nsty98LS1
i have the UMI rear drag bar on my car & it's a very nice piece. i have a real light clunk coming from the rod ends, but also havent really adjusted it yet to preload it. i keep forgetting to call UMI & see how they set the adjustment, as i think i threw my instructions away when i opened it up.
Send me a PM with a e-mail address and I will get you the directions on how to pre-load it... or you can call us. Once you set the bar the noise should go away.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 09-28-2009, 09:51 AM
kp
8 Second Club

The original person that started this thread asked if anyone was using the bar and I gave my input but I forgot to say that my back shocks were Comp Engineering pieces. Sounds like he has gotten good advice from others as well and since he is going to use 12 way QA1's it sounds like he is going to need the room of the UMI bar! Just do not see any reason to talk down Spohn parts!

I happen to have all Spohn suspension and the product is a good piece! If I ever decide to spend the money to have a fast car I may upgrade to bigger shocks on the back and will buy a UMI drag bar at that time or an updated Spohn Bar!

N2
I never said Spohn was bad stuff, I just said their drag sway bar doesnt fit aftermarket shocks. Thats not talking down anything, thats just a fact.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:00 AM
Internet Mechanic

^ Which is a major consideration. I would think for those who go as far as a drag bar, to go to aftermarket shocks would be also made. Not sure if AFCO or Stranger are smaller and clear but I think grinding is B.S. IMO.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree, why would you buy something that doesn't work with other aftermarket parts. It is pointless, the people that are buying these types of suspension pieces I am sure have other high dollar suspension pieces. I would not destroy a high dollar shock to get an anti rollbar on a rearend.

Far as Spohn goes they are a great manufacture for suspension pieces, I have had some on my car before, but if someone can make an anit rollbar that cleasr the shocks there is no reason why there piece should hit. Maybe there is some other reason spohn designed there bar this way? If there is it would be nice for someone to chime in.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:51 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
^ Which is a major consideration. I would think for those who go as far as a drag bar, to go to aftermarket shocks would be also made. Not sure if AFCO or Stranger are smaller and clear but I think grinding is B.S. IMO.
Well let me see I went with my Spohn bar over 4 years ago and do have aftermarket shocks as I have stated before. I am not even sure if the UMI or BMR units were available back then. If KP did not buy one for his old Trans Am and bought one this go around for his Firehawk either they were not available or he did not know they would clear bigger shocks back then or he would have bought either a BMR or UMI instead of the Sphon bar. Now KP already stated he went a 1.23 60 foot time with his Spohn drag bar and Comp Engineering shocks and actually put his car all the way off the ground in the air on the parachute mount at 84 MPH’s before letting off the gas and slamming it down to the ground and breaking everything so again I say the Spohn bar is doing what they say it will do. Even though I hated to see the car get damaged at least he was not hurt!

You asked how they work and I told you and I will say it again my best 60 foot to date is 1.39 with a 346 CI engine with no power adder on a 26 inch tire in a 3,370 lb car so I would say the bar does everything that Spohn said it would!! I do not feel that I wasted my money or that I purchased a part that is inferior. I would not state that the bar does not allow the use of bigger shocks and I do not know why anyone would buy one until they get the bar to work with bigger shocks!!

I am sure you will purchase the perfect part and have gotten good advice from most in this thread! The fact that the Spohn bar does not work with bigger shocks does not mean it does not work! The UMI and the BMR bars are very nice and Spohn does not sponsor me at all so I am sure any of the suppliers would love to have you business!

I hope this does not offend anyone but I am just stating the facts!

N2
Old 09-28-2009, 06:17 PM
kp
8 Second Club

No one is saying the Spohn sway bar doesnt work, just that it doesnt clear bigger shocks.

You sure you dont work for Spohn lol.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:52 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by kp
No one is saying the Spohn sway bar doesnt work, just that it doesnt clear bigger shocks.

You sure you dont work for Spohn lol.
No but I did pay a couple of salaries there a while back. I can read I know what folks are saying! Maybe a better way to have made your first statement was Spohn, BMR and UMI are all good products but if you plan to use anything other than stock shocks or Comp Engineering shocks you will need to look into buying either the BMR or UMI Drag Sway Bar! I am just giving you a little bit of a hard time. I think you can tell I am pleased with my Spohn drag bar!

One question for you just out of curiosity why did you go with a BMR Drag Bar on your Firehawk and still just use Comp Engineering shocks when you could have used QA1's or AFCO's? This guy may want to know your thoughts about that!

Thanks,

N2
Old 09-28-2009, 08:26 PM
kp
8 Second Club

No but I did pay a couple of salaries there a while back. I can read I know what folks are saying! Maybe a better way to have made your first statement was Spohn, BMR and UMI are all good products but if you plan to use anything other than stock shocks or Comp Engineering shocks you will need to look into buying either the BMR or UMI Drag Sway Bar! I am just giving you a little bit of a hard time. I think you can tell I am pleased with my Spohn drag bar!

One question for you just out of curiosity why did you go with a BMR Drag Bar on your Firehawk and still just use Comp Engineering shocks when you could have used QA1's or AFCO's? This guy may want to know your thoughts about that!

Thanks,

N2
Not giving me a hard time, I can care less, either of the four sway bars (wolfe, BMR, UMI and Spohn) makes about as much difference in ET as what color driving suit I'm wearing that day.

I bought the BMR for this car for the same reason I bought the Spohn 4 years ago - it was on sale. Its not any kind of anti-spohn conspiracy
Old 09-29-2009, 06:45 AM
9 Second Club

Whatever!

You forgot to answer the question about the shocks or do shocks not make a difference now as well!

I am DONE with this thread, no way to top that reply now we are talking about the color of driving suits! LOL!!

N2

Last edited by N2RACINGLS1's; 09-29-2009 at 06:50 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:53 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Whatever!

You forgot to answer the question about the shocks or do shocks not make a difference now as well!

I am DONE with this thread, no way to top that reply now we are talking about the color of driving suits! LOL!!

N2
I was done with this thread 10 posts ago, I just figured sooner or later you would give up lol.

If you really must know I used the CE shocks on this car because the first set I bought for my other car a while back were too long on extension (the recommended CE part number). I couldnt use them because the exhaust would hit the driveshaft when I let the rear hang down. I did the exhaust different on this car so I used them because they were here and it all cleared, plus they worked OK on the other car.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:03 AM
9 Second Club

I have the Spohn and have Hal adjustables and have no issue. It's close but it fits well.
I'm sure the BMR, UMI and Spohn all work very similar and you will get similar results with any of them. Bad think about the Spohn is the shock clearance issue and the fact that sometimes it won't fit a 12 bolt, it's a nice piece but like kp said, if there is going to be any kind of fitment issue and the others work just as well why bother with the Spohn?

Off topic, I just bought the Spohn pro series torque arm, it's MASSIVE!! Very nice piece.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:29 AM
CARTEK Racing

I have that bar as well. I have not had a chance to really launch the car with it, but on the street its not a problem. Car stays dead level even with the front bar removed.

I have QA1's in the back and got those little brackets that rotate the shock 90 degrees so the adjustmant **** is not neer the bar. Makes setting the shocks a lot easier and no fear of damage to the shock.

Quick Reply: Who has used this Rear Sway Bar??