Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spragless Converters...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spragless Converters...

Who's running them? What was the difference between your spragless converter and your typical stall?
Old 10-26-2009, 01:18 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.transmission-specialties....x.php?cPath=22

This is what I found, as for people running them here, i have not ready any post about that.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the link.

What I would really like to know if anyone running them seems to have slowed down a little or if that is just BS. All of the local racers that use them have used only spragless there entire racing career, so they don't know if there is difference besides consistency. And honestly I don't trust a company trying to sell me product to tell me the truth...
Old 10-26-2009, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

I have one, but don't have any personal experience with them. I bought the car and it has one in it. I am in the process of re-doing the motor, so I havent even run it yet, but looks like I am going to have to sell this one anyways, as I will need more stall. The one I have is a 4000 and I am going to need atleast a 4500-4800. The guy I got the car from had some slips showing some 10.50's on a 150 shot, so it must have worked decently for him. LOL.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:54 AM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

We run a spragless 230mm Circle D converter in our quicker SS. We went with it when we installed our pump gas 445 so the entire set up was new, but it ran quicker and better mph than we originally expect with a 9.39@142mph.

We ran a sprag type 230mm behind our 9.9X 408 set up last year and it went 133mph. We freshened the engine and put it in this year for bracket season with the Circle D 230mm spragless and it is running the same ET/mph, but is deadly consistent and is much more durable since the sprag is the weakest link inside a converter.

I have a few racing buddys that had the same results. The spragless generates a little more tranny heat so it's no recommended for street car applications.

I hope this helps.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TXCAMSS
We run a spragless 230mm Circle D converter in our quicker SS. We went with it when we installed our pump gas 445 so the entire set up was new, but it ran quicker and better mph than we originally expect with a 9.39@142mph.

We ran a sprag type 230mm behind our 9.9X 408 set up last year and it went 133mph. We freshened the engine and put it in this year for bracket season with the Circle D 230mm spragless and it is running the same ET/mph, but is deadly consistent and is much more durable since the sprag is the weakest link inside a converter.

I have a few racing buddys that had the same results. The spragless generates a little more tranny heat so it's no recommended for street car applications.

I hope this helps.
Well I really appreciate the info! I am just about dead set on a 5500 spragless converter regardless if the car slows down if it will just make it more consistent, seeing as how it is strictly a bracket car. I am actually kind of surprised not more guys on here are running them between the bracket racers and the guys with the crazy quick cars!
Old 10-27-2009, 05:19 PM
TECH Junkie

I just was on the phone with Chris at Circle D this afternoon figuring out my convertor and he said you MIGHT see a 1-2mph drop in the 1/4 mile...shouldn't see anything in the 1/8th.

My cam makes all the power uptop, so I think spragless will be the way to go for me, since my boat ankor weighs probably 3700-3800 raceweight!
Old 10-27-2009, 07:09 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I use Trans Specialties Spragless Converters. "The inventor of the Spragless."
I tested both a sprag and a spragless converter last year within one week appart @ Cecil. My 60' times were the same,as well as ET and MPH. When the sprag starts to go bad, your 60' times will come and go until it fails completely. You could be chasing tire and suspension issues that don't exist.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Firehawk441
I use Trans Specialties Spragless Converters. "The inventor of the Spragless."
I tested both a sprag and a spragless converter last year within one week appart @ Cecil. My 60' times were the same,as well as ET and MPH. When the sprag starts to go bad, your 60' times will come and go until it fails completely. You could be chasing tire and suspension issues that don't exist.
I have had my converter awhile and since it is a n2o converter I intend to keep it along with an appropriate gear just to spray a healthy shot of nitrous a few times a year at best, but I think a spragless is the way to go for my max effort n/a bracket setup. I have been running down some things trying to figure out why my car isn't running the number exactly like it used to and I figure by going this route I can at least eliminate this being a cause if not fixing the problem!
Old 10-27-2009, 09:01 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

I have to agree, for a bracket car it is a no brainer. Old school assumptions indicated a loss in mph and it may be valid, in fact we expected the mph loss ourselves, but the stroker didn't see it. I feel like a lower hp/tq car or heavy car might see a slight loss of mph, but the ET still should not be affected. Even if there was a fractional loss of et or mph in a bracket/track car, you get a more dependable and more consistent car. In most cases the spragless may cost a little less as well
Old 10-27-2009, 09:04 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

I run one in my Top Sportsman car. No issues, but I never had anything else behind this engine.
So I don't really know if it slowed down or not. I know they claim they are stronger?? so for 1200 HP I went with it.
There are a few other 6-7 second guys using them I know. Don't know of any slower cars using one yet.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mrdragster1970

I run one in my Top Sportsman car. No issues, but I never had anything else behind this engine.
So I don't really know if it slowed down or not. I know they claim they are stronger?? so for 1200 HP I went with it.
There are a few other 6-7 second guys using them I know. Don't know of any slower cars using one yet.

Really?? Seems like about half of the Super Pro field at my home track runs them now that I have started asking around and just about the only 6-7 second bracket cars around here a rail dragsters. You guys do mainly heads up and class racing at those times or what?
Old 10-27-2009, 11:33 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After the spraggs in my old converter in the dragster went out, we went with a BTE spragless converter and I loved it. Never had any problems with it and was consistent. I didn't see any loss at all in ET or MPH but it was also in a 1800lb car and 565BBC.

I'm about to go with a TH350 very soon and another Spragless BTE converter .
Old 10-28-2009, 11:32 AM
TECH Junkie

do you think the 350 is strong enough? I was planning on going with a 400 bc of the weight of my car?
Old 11-02-2009, 11:18 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Sorry I didn't answer, I was in the hospital until today.

The bracket guys I talked to before getting the new spragless, were still using the normal style.
Nobody I called really made the change yet in my group of buddies. They had no problems with what they had,
so they just stayed with them. I kept hearing spragless is stronger, so since I needed a new one anyway,
I decided to try it. At these power levels, I really wanted to get the most reliable converter.
We don't do heads up, That's just what it takes to run T/S now a days.
The bump at this years NHRA race was 6.90's. So guys are definitely getting faster for just another
bracket/dial in type class. I know more and more T/S guys have had good luck with them,
so I'm sure they know what they're doing. Not that many 6-7 second cars out there being raced by dumb bell's??

I did hear a couple of guys say that low powered cars run quicker with a sprag??
Something about a little better multiplication??

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Spragless Converters...