Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

275 guys: Do you think the new 295/55/15 will be THE new tire?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 06:39 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Dan I don't think it will change to be honest.

I'll tell ya, ou have a mid to low 9 second car, high 8 second car, and you really don't have **** that you can race with it anymore other then bracket classes. I dunno why that is.. but a heads up low 9 second class, just doesn't exist.

I dunno if it's because it's just not that hard to push a car to mid to low 8's or what... being that I haven't done it personally I don't know... but it would seem like alot of $ to get there that's for sure.

I really would like it, if the 295/55 did become the tire, yourself and 99.9% of the 275 guys could just bolt them on with no clearance problems and run them, just take the 275 rules and just change the tire size to the 295/55... then rewrite the 275 rules and lke posted above, come up with ALOT stricter motor rules, or hefty weight penalties for big motors/turbos/nitrous/superghargers, I'm talking BIG weight penalties so that it's really going to make a guy with a big motor have a hard time doing any better then he would with a smaller motor.

It wouldn't be that hard to do, but again, it probably won't happen. I love that 275 class, it's just unreal what people have been able to do on that little tire, but again, I think that class was started with the intent of being a good bit slower then it is now.

Us slow guys really need a heads up class to race in. Bracket racing just sucks, that's not anywhere near the fun of a heads up pro tree class. I can tolerate in index, it's a little bit of a top end game... but still not what a full out class would be.

the 8.5 tire class, hell there's guys that have gone WAY faster then I'd have thought you can go in that too... but that doesn't seem to be making it up here to new england at all, so it's not an option at this point.

Just not sure if it will ever happen... and if it does, how do you keep it in check to stop it from developing into another low 8 high 7 second class.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

275 Real Street

Body & Glass

- Must have working headlights and tail lights
- Stock appearing interior, single seat, carpet, door panels, factory "type" dash
- Lexan permitted (tech will have descretion to not allow "yellowed" or poorly mounted lexan on race day)
- Windows must be operational
- No wheelie bars

Suspension

-stock type suspension factory frame rail
-ladder bar with factory frame rail add 50 lbs
-Coil overs and anti roll okay

Tires

-Maximum rear tire size allowed is 275/60-15 designation

-Tire must be used as intended from manufacturer. No alterations permitted.

Power Adders

-Single type power adder only

Exhaust

-Must have mufflers

Weights-

Small block N/A – 2750 lbs

Small block nitrous .082 jet max– 3150 lbs

Small block turbo 76 mm T4 & D1 or = supercharger - 3300

Big block N/A – 3050 lbs

Big block nitrous .065 jet max – 3450 lbs

Cylinder Head/Induction-

Single stage plate NOS only no multi stages # 4 nitrous line

4150 carb only

23* Chevy - 20* Ford - 18* Mopar -

15*LS Based Casting SB Heads add 100 lbs

Conventional Iron BB heads only

SB Limited to 427 cu in

BB limited to stock deck height 525 cu in

Buick, Pontiac and Oldsmobile engine combinations run at small block weight

Electronics-

Ignition boxes limited to standard type ignition controls (No Slew or Traction or Boost Controllers)

Digiset or time delay for nitrous control only

EFI okay

We will make an adjustment with weight, tire, jet restriction etc in the future.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Anonymous
Can you post the rules?

That is what they need to do to 275 DR to slow it down.
Add a little weight & limit the power adders.

Every class can't get out of control.

I don't think the 295's will replace the 275.
Traction is not an issue.

It is probably more for the guy's that run 28" slicks that want to try a DR.
Like stated above.
Here are the rules you requested sir. Radial racing is growing real fast in this area and there are a couple classes purposed that run 275's slower than the current class. I'll send a PM to you with the website that was just started dedicated to radial racing, if anyone else would like to know what it is just shoot me a PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:28 PM
Race your car!

Mel those limited weighta are good, now I'd just add 250 lbs to all the weights, and you'd have a good safe speed class that the average guy can compete in.

Head choices are a little more limited for all classes then I think they should be, I'd open that up so more people can use what they already have, and not have to go looking for a downgrade from what they have. Nitrous sizes, turbo and supercharger sizes are good as well.

Open up the head choices, add 250, hell even 350 lbs to them all, and you'd have a good mid to low 9 second class that everyone can enjoy. Limit the fuel too, gas only no methanol/nitro as well, if there's no note about that too.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:02 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by cbra-klla
outlaw 8.5 = 1/4 mile black marks
Not at all, this just makes it a challenge, like the 275's were. I hear someone out there coming out with new tires specifically for that class .

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Mel those limited weighta are good, now I'd just add 250 lbs to all the weights, and you'd have a good safe speed class that the average guy can compete in.

Head choices are a little more limited for all classes then I think they should be, I'd open that up so more people can use what they already have, and not have to go looking for a downgrade from what they have. Nitrous sizes, turbo and supercharger sizes are good as well.

Open up the head choices, add 250, hell even 350 lbs to them all, and you'd have a good mid to low 9 second class that everyone can enjoy. Limit the fuel too, gas only no methanol/nitro as well, if there's no note about that too.
I agree with what your saying, there is a class missing it seems for the low 9 cars. I thought the L10.5 class would be the equalizer but they are already going 8.5's. I too hate bracket, heads up is by far the most fun.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:05 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are more than just Fbodies racing in this class, the mustang guys would have to add a ton of weight if you put 250lbs. on everyone. This is a heads up RACING class, the weights are fine.

If they let your 11* ET heads in then they would have to do the same for the SBC guys which would make the class alot faster than they want it to be.
This class will run low 6's to high 5's.
If you cant get a 400inch LS1 there than your doing it wrong.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:17 PM
Race your car!

I don't think it would be a problem. Even going back to a 15 degree head is fine, AFR's fall in that catagory, and they'd do as well as teh et's I have I'm sure.

I hear ya on the weights, but upping them would let the street cars that aren't gutted, G body's, full interior fox cars with a little ballast have a good chance too, I think it would give the full street cars a place to race.

Those rules are fine with me, I'm down to the point now that I'd have to *** a bunch of ballast anyway... but I'm thinking full interior street cars, hell a guy with a S10 V8 conversion, that type of stuff, with a little higher weight's might have a good heads up class to run in too without having to theft recovery their ride to be competitive, and guys in my boat would be adding it back, or just not taking it all out. Newer mustangs, like the new cobra's would have a place as well, they're a heavy car and wouldn't be at such a disadvantage as well.

I have no issue building a 427 with an afr head and being allowed a single 82 jet. That would, chances are be faster then what I'm running. Simple ls7 block with that head and an speedtech plate with an 82 jet is already gonna go faster then I'm thinking the class needs to be, like you said, that's gonna be in the 8 second range.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:57 PM
10 Second Club

I don't think it would be a problem. Even going back to a 15 degree head is fine, AFR's fall in that catagory, and they'd do as well as teh et's I have I'm sure.

I hear ya on the weights, but upping them would let the street cars that aren't gutted, G body's, full interior fox cars with a little ballast have a good chance too, I think it would give the full street cars a place to race.

Those rules are fine with me, I'm down to the point now that I'd have to *** a bunch of ballast anyway... but I'm thinking full interior street cars, hell a guy with a S10 V8 conversion, that type of stuff, with a little higher weight's might have a good heads up class to run in too without having to theft recovery their ride to be competitive, and guys in my boat would be adding it back, or just not taking it all out. Newer mustangs, like the new cobra's would have a place as well, they're a heavy car and wouldn't be at such a disadvantage as well.

I have no issue building a 427 with an afr head and being allowed a single 82 jet. That would, chances are be faster then what I'm running. Simple ls7 block with that head and an speedtech plate with an 82 jet is already gonna go faster then I'm thinking the class needs to be, like you said, that's gonna be in the 8 second range.
When they were asking for input for these rules on HPJ I suggested the same thing. I thought that more of a true street car field could come out of this. And also a more diverse car field ie. Cobras, Chevelle's, G-body street cars but that got shot down quick. Mustang guys and gals weren't having it. The original rules for this class said stock castings only for lsx cars. And at a 3150 race weight makes it a mustang party. Like you said most lsx guys already have aftermarket heads and wouldn't remove them when they are already going in 2-300 lbs heavier than the ford guys.

ATV racer just curious what is your race weight. I would imagine you guys are still a little heavy for that 3100 lbs weight in 275x.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:46 PM
9 Second Club

3200 last year .... we will be 3,050 - 3,000 this year with the alum. motor.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:03 AM
Race your car!

Yeah... that's the crappy part, the mustang's are so light that if you tell them they need to be 3200 lbs, they're adding 500 LOL.

Tell an f body guy that, and that just means he doesn't have to sawzall 1/2 the car out.

Motor wise, I say just let people run what they want for a head, that way the mustang guys can run the good glidden heads and whatnot if they want to, leave us with the aftermarket castings that are available, and just up the weights. Only guys that will cry are the mustang guys, and really only the guys with the older ones. A guy with a 03 cobra will be looking to give you a hug , those things are even worse then an f body in the weight department, newer ones aren't any better.

With the weights up, you might, even see someone show up with a new challenger or a 09 mustang, make the racing really diverse.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:31 AM
9 Second Club

Yeah... that's the crappy part, the mustang's are so light that if you tell them they need to be 3200 lbs, they're adding 500 LOL.

Tell an f body guy that, and that just means he doesn't have to sawzall 1/2 the car out.

Motor wise, I say just let people run what they want for a head, that way the mustang guys can run the good glidden heads and whatnot if they want to, leave us with the aftermarket castings that are available, and just up the weights. Only guys that will cry are the mustang guys, and really only the guys with the older ones. A guy with a 03 cobra will be looking to give you a hug , those things are even worse then an f body in the weight department, newer ones aren't any better.

With the weights up, you might, even see someone show up with a new challenger or a 09 mustang, make the racing really diverse.

Its not meant to be a street car class.
Its a limited engine, limited power adder, small tire RACE class.
A "budget" class if there is such a thing in heads up racing.
If you let any head in then its no longer a budget class .... our new $8,000 heads are out of most peoples budget. (including mine... lol)
Old 12-21-2009, 07:43 AM
Race your car!

Originally Posted by ATVracr
Its not meant to be a street car class.
Its a limited engine, limited power adder, small tire RACE class.
A "budget" class if there is such a thing in heads up racing.
If you let any head in then its no longer a budget class .... our new $8,000 heads are out of most peoples budget. (including mine... lol)
No I hear ya. But, you probably also understand where I'm coming from... be nice to have a place to race a bottom 9 second car without running it to 1/2 it's potential and dropping down to a 10.0 index, or try to push it past what it's capable of and hope it stays together to run a mid 8 second class.

NED has a 9.50 index class, and that's all I really can run at a competitive level.. be nice if there was more at other tracks, but for now, that will have to do.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:14 PM
10 second playa

Originally Posted by MelScrilla
Here are the rules you requested sir. Radial racing is growing real fast in this area and there are a couple classes purposed that run 275's slower than the current class. I'll send a PM to you with the website that was just started dedicated to radial racing, if anyone else would like to know what it is just shoot me a PM.
Thanks MelScrilla.

For the most part, I like these rules.
(but I only read them, didn't study them)

To everyone else, from a LSx perspective:

I tend to agree with JL where if we raised base weights, it would slow down the class and at the same time open up the field to more potential racers that didn't gut their car.

I have ETP heads, but would change them if I had to.
However, I didn't see that they were not allowed?

ATV I have found in the past that I generally agree with what you suggest, but lately, I don't feel it as much?
Have you gone with a new combination? A more radical combo maybe?
Thus explaining why you are opposed to slower classes?

What is a single .082 jet? A 250 shot?

I couldn't care less about the Mustangs, if they don't like the weight they can go race in one of the other 200 classes/series that cater to them.
Like the NMRA.
Tell them to put their interior back in.
More cars are heavy, than light.
From newer Mustangs to F-Bodies to 67 Chevelles to GTO's, never mind the 2010 Camaro & Challenger.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:22 AM
Race your car!

An .082 jet is a decent hit, about 250 I'd guess. I know a .065 is about 155/160 dependong what calculator you go by (what I was running last year)

.082 is enough to get a car going pretty good.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:32 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Anonymous
I have ETP heads, but would change them if I had to.
However, I didn't see that they were not allowed?

ATV I have found in the past that I generally agree with what you suggest, but lately, I don't feel it as much?
Have you gone with a new combination? A more radical combo maybe?
Thus explaining why you are opposed to slower classes?
Any cathedrail port is OK now I think.

I have no problem with the slower class but where does it end?
If you want to race a "stockish" car go bracket racing.
Heads up racing isnt cheap no matter how "slow" you try to make it someone will spend the money to make it faster than everyone thought it would be.

This class is perfect for you guys and you still complain about it. LOL
Me and Shiz both went 5.80's or better 3 years ago @ 3500lbs. with hyd. rollers and normal street stuff. We were not jet limited but the parts and info that is available now can make up for that.

Not saying it will be easy or cheap but whats worth having that is?
Old 12-22-2009, 07:42 AM
Race your car!

I'm not complaining... just want to see a heads up class I can run on my limited budget.

Believe me... I am still in amazement how fast you can go on that little radial.

Probably gonna have to get the fast 275 class going up this far north first before we have to worry about the limited class.

However.. I would like to take the limited class rules up to LVD and see if they'd be interested in trying it. I'd be down for that. Just have to get the car to leave on that tire right.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:44 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,163 Likes on 756 Posts

JL, I think if you decide to build a 8.20 - 8.50 class car you need to have a few buddies crew with you, otherwise it's too much to handle from what I've seen over the years.

I couldn't keep up with my Formula due to lack of time, so I let her go and she will debut in 2010 with a BBC and a few kits.

I hope to partner with a friend in later 2010 to build a class car but we'll see.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:50 AM
Race your car!

I have thechef.. he comes with me to the track every time I go, so I have help in the pits, staging, etc. That's not a problem.

Now I just need to find another guy that's into racing that wants to partner up on the car. If I could get a local guy to do that, and say just build the motor, and take care of the motor, nitrous and fuel systems I'd be out racing every week.

Car will be done this year and ready to rock, got a nice trailer now, truck to tow it, I get someone to put a motor in the car and take care of that, I'll take care of everything from the flywheel back, they take care of the power and fuel, we split the fuel, nitrous, towing and entry fee expense, and I'd be going every race I could get to that didnt' interfere with work... and my weekends are free 99.9% of the time

I'd just take my motor out, throw it in the corner, and this way if the partner wanted to bail, I'd give him the motor back, and pay for the fuel system that gets put in the car.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:54 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,163 Likes on 756 Posts

Or try to get some sponsors...
Old 12-22-2009, 09:57 AM
Race your car!

I have a couple people that want to help with the car, but not at a big enough level to make it doable, not yet anyways.

I'll get the car finished up this year and get back out and run the 9.50 class some. That might help, being back out at the track whacking the tree with a big axe.. hopefully someone sees/notices that and I'll get lucky.

Quick Reply: 275 guys: Do you think the new 295/55/15 will be THE new tire?