Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment concerns with adjustable A-arms and a FIXED k-member

Old 01-02-2010, 12:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alignment concerns with adjustable A-arms and a FIXED k-member

I've had a tubular k-member and A-arms sitting around for about 5 years and I'm finally getting ready to install it. I have a few questions regarding the alignment.

The A-arm mounts on the K-member are fixed, not slotted like the factory k-member or most of the other aftermarkets I've seen. That means that the only way to make alignment adjustments is to physically remove the arm from the mount and lengthen or shorten the rod end on either side. I'm obviously not going to take this to the local tire shop for an alignment. I could do it myself, but I'm still working on putting that alignment rack in my garage.

What are people doing for alignments in these situations? Or would it be worth it for me to just cut the brackets off and weld some slotted ones on?

Also, what's good to aim for as far as the alignment specs? This is a drag car that sees very, very limited street time.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds like you have a nice drag setup.

You could do that, but also know some guys have troble with the arms moving on the slots form wheelies ect. I know some that have to put a little spot weld on the bolt washer to keep them from moving. You might want to keep the "fixed" tabs you have and just spend they extra time making the changes with the rod ends.

what parts are these BTW?
Old 01-02-2010, 01:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by studderin
what parts are these BTW?
Heh, just to show how long these have been sitting around.... these are ARE parts
Old 01-02-2010, 01:57 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DONT slot them. If they are true ARE parts then you have good stuff. Put them on and get it aligned.

225-343-9029
Old 01-02-2010, 06:22 PM
11 Second Club

They are definitely true ARE parts. I just wonder now how much I'm going to have to bribe one of my former co-workers to align it for me.

Madman, I did some searching for alignment specs and found one thread from a while back where you recommended 0 camber, as much caster as possible, and no toe-out throughout the suspension travel. Is that still a standing recommendation?
Old 01-03-2010, 07:45 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats correct.

225-343-9029
Old 01-03-2010, 11:18 AM
Banned

The fixed posistion setups you are refreing to is a bit of a opain to setup, but an over all better design.

I just order my entire suspension from Chuck and Burkhart Chassis. All the A-Arm mounting points on the k-member I am getting are fixed posistion. It definatley makes for a more robust setup.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

The parts I got from burkhart are also fixed location. It's gonna take a while to get it right, but it's the best way, like mentioned above by studderin, everyone I know with a BMR k member ended up putting a washer on over the slotted parts, and tacking it to the k member becasue the things kept shifting them, especially after any kind of a wheelie.

I wasn't aware ARE even made that stuff... you must have gotten that stuff a LONG time ago, they've been gone for quite some time.

Post some pic's of it up, I'd be intrested to see what it looks like.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:58 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I wasn't aware ARE even made that stuff... you must have gotten that stuff a LONG time ago, they've been gone for quite some time.

Post some pic's of it up, I'd be intrested to see what it looks like.
These parts were purchased by a friend of mine along with a motor from ARE about 8 years ago. We decided not to use the k-member in the street car that the motor was going into, so it sat for a short time, then I got it. Then it sat for a long time.

Weights, if interested (without bolts, ball joints, etc): K-member: 20lbs , 1 A-arm: 5lbs
Attached Thumbnails Alignment concerns with adjustable A-arms and a FIXED k-member-dscf0638.jpg   Alignment concerns with adjustable A-arms and a FIXED k-member-dscf0639.jpg   Alignment concerns with adjustable A-arms and a FIXED k-member-dscf0640.jpg  
Old 01-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Parts look good. A little sanding and a coat of paint and you'd never know they weren't built yesterday.

Light looking too.. I like it.

I don't have the weight's handy on my burkhart stuff, but it's not a ton different in design. No motor mount provisions on my stuff.... have to use a motor plate with this.

But, that's probably also lighter, so it's all good

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alignment concerns with adjustable A-arms and a FIXED k-member