Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight reduction/Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joshiedoom
No AC components what so ever except part of the box that houses the heater core and thats it.
No rear seats, no carpet padding, all random foam things under the rear plastic. Anything that isnt essential to the car such as spare tire etc. EGR etc. Its pretty bare under the hood. Plus it has the the 16s and egay headers etc. Trust me. Its light.
That just seems like the normal things to do while working on a f-body if you want to take out easy weight.
I had mine down to this plus some and didnt feel much of a difference over stock, I did though when I added the ZR1 wheels over the stock 16's, that slowed it down a bit but it was nice to actually NOT spin in 3rd.... Its a compromise I guess...

The way I see it; You can break it down to two categories...

FREE WEIGHT SAVINGS:
Takking anything out of the car you can deal without having or live with, this doenst cost you anything but time.

$$$COSTLY WEIGHT SAVINGS:
Buying aftermarket suspension parts are always good for weight, traction, etc
Aftermarket brakes are another good weight saver plus help at the track
Wheels, skinnies will help with weight up front or stockers+sticky tire
Hood(pin-on) and LW body-parts will help with weight, areodynamics
Glass-to-Lexan swap is always good for weight (dunno if legal for DD??)

Its a personal preferance on how you want to get there but its always a good idea to do a little of both to even the car out (If its going to go faster, you want it to handle better, faster speeds, more stress on brakes, etc are all factors to think about).

...Have you thought about the 1LE stuff?
Old 01-25-2010, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
Yeah my buddy dropped a good 75lbs. off his body to get his raceweight down lol.
Hahaha do i know this particular guy haha i lost about 90 lbs to date for race weight. I am in the middle of gutting the car, i dont care about looks and honestly would DD it gutted. As for DD'ing skinnies, guess it would depend on how far you have to drive. My friend does but he lives like 10 mins from work.

Quick Reply: Weight reduction/Daily Driver