Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bullets off the collector or keep Y pipe

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 02:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula/LS1
No one has answered my question yet. If I change to the bullets or anything equivalent with turndowns right off the headers will I have a problem with 02 sensors and or will I need to re-tune ? Thanks.
I have some brand new dynomax bullets I'll get rid of.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
I ran Spiral flow 3.5" mufflers off the end of my Edelbrocks and never had a problem with my 02's. No realistic need to re-tune in my book. I do, however, agree with JL. Get a SD tune on that car and ditch the 02's altogether.
Thanks for the info from you and TA1364. I will take your advice and probably stick with my set-up for now. I was looking more for the weight loss and maybe a slight performance than the sound. Thanks again.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:23 PM
11 Second Club

You can still loose the weight of a catback, just run an open Y pipe or put a bullet off the end.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TA1364
You can still loose the weight of a catback, just run an open Y pipe or put a bullet off the end.
how much are you asking for the Bullets?
Old 04-28-2010, 10:52 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Something else to consider is a bullet isnt going to fit right without some modding to it or the floorboard on the driver side. Dynomax bullets off the collector sounded horrible.
They do if the exhaust guy knows what he is doing with a tubing bended
Old 04-28-2010, 11:15 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No one has answered my question yet. If I change to the bullets or anything equivalent with turndowns right off the headers will I have a problem with 02 sensors and or will I need to re-tune ? Thanks.
Your precat 02s will be fine. I assume you have removed your rear 02s. As long as you have ~12" of pipe (or muffler) after then you are fine.

I'd ditch a heavy catbback. Losing that weight won't pick up an ET in itself, but combine it with a few other weight reductions and you should get some results.

I definitely reccomend the Ypipe/bullet as mentioned due to sound and performance. The y-pipe is probably the same weight as an additional bullet.

If you do go the dual bullet route, bust out the BFH and make room on each side. I also "squished" the bullets a tad in a press so they were slightly oval. I probably have pics somewhere. If I do I'll post them up.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:22 PM
11 Second Club

how much are you asking for the Bullets?
Pm sent
Old 04-28-2010, 11:23 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Y-pipe set up:

Name:  CIMG5101.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  48.0 KB

Name:  CIMG5099.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  40.5 KB

Bullets (sorry, could not find installed pics, but it had better clearance than the TSP y-pipe as far as I can remember)

Name:  CIMG5347.jpg
Size:  62.9 KB

Name:  CIMG5348.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  47.5 KB

See the flattened surface. It was still totally round through the pipe. It just compressed the glass pack portion:
Name:  CIMG5358.jpg
Size:  49.6 KB
Old 04-29-2010, 07:13 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ninetres
Your precat 02s will be fine. I assume you have removed your rear 02s. As long as you have ~12" of pipe (or muffler) after then you are fine.

I'd ditch a heavy catbback. Losing that weight won't pick up an ET in itself, but combine it with a few other weight reductions and you should get some results.

I definitely reccomend the Ypipe/bullet as mentioned due to sound and performance. The y-pipe is probably the same weight as an additional bullet.

If you do go the dual bullet route, bust out the BFH and make room on each side. I also "squished" the bullets a tad in a press so they were slightly oval. I probably have pics somewhere. If I do I'll post them up.
Thanks. Pictures speak a thousand words.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:41 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ninetres

I've got the same Y-pipe setup on my daily driver except it has a one chamber Flowmaster instead of a bullet
Old 04-29-2010, 12:12 PM
11 Second Club

Pm sent
Pm sent
Old 09-15-2020, 01:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Firehawk441
I'm sure you are already well aware that bullets hooked to the headers are as loud as open collecters.
I will also say that every engine is NOT created equal. There will always be a limitation reached with an exhaust. In lower HP cases MORE backpressure is needed.

We are restricted to 90 dbs. @ 5000rpm's from 100 feet away at Englishtown which has forced us into finding a better exhaust at our expense and countless hours. (Buy the way, 90 dbs. still isn't quiet!)

All combinations have been checked with a DB. meter following the tracks testing procedures. Many systems we run have been built by Mufflex. Most systems we use have bolt on flanges on mufflers and at the headers for easy removal during testing and future changes if needed. A custom 3"-4" flowmaster merge y-pipe with an oval dynatek or magnaflow muffler has made the same HP on a dyno as two single chamber mufflers bolted to the headers. It is also 8-10 dbs. quieter. It has ET'd and MPH the same also for us. This has been tested up to 408 cubic inches on both N/A and Nitrous applications. (Sorry. We don't spray our engines on the dyno) The Dynatek is aluminized which makes for less weight then the stainless magnaflow which has proven to be 1-2 dbs. quieter then the Dynatek. Running a true dual system with an X-Pipe and two Dynatek mufflers has proven to be even quieter and maintain performance like the Y-pipe. It is a heavier system due to the dual mufflers though. Aiming the turndown at the ground with a single muffler and aiming the turndowns on the duals at each other and slightly towards the ground aids in cancelling sound. Both of these systems are also quieter then the popular two chamber mufflers bolted to the headers with turndowns. Which buy the way doesn't reach the 90 dbs. we're looking for. Staying away from stainless and using aluminized pipes and mufflers saves weight.
This year we are testing the limitations of the y-pipe on the 454 nitrous car of N2Ostroker. He ran quite a few 9.0 passes last year. It's VERY clear to us that this is a restriction but we don't know how much. We will run the y-pipe with the muffler removed from the y-pipe and run the car with everything removed all in the same day. This should be a very good test of the limitations of this system.
We also broke the bank with a true dual 3.5" oval system with twin Dynatek mufflers on a 440 Nitrous application with a best of 8.65 and a total of only 8 nitrous passes. Testing with and without the exhaust will hopefully be in this years schedule although this engine and exhaust is now in a different car.
Hopefully our time and money will help some who read this post
How big is your Y pipe? I’m building a 383 and wondering if I’ll be ok with my Texas Speed 3inch Y pipe system..
Old 09-21-2020, 07:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
X or h pipe vs just a muffler/bullet off the collector will get you nothing. Even if it does gain any power, the weight will be enough to even it out, or make you be worse off.

Magnaflow makes a small oval muffler alot of people have put off the end of the collectors, I'd look into that.

I ran a length of pipe so I could ptu a super 44 flowmaster on both sides, and a little bit of pipe off the end. Granted that's 3.5 inch in and out, but it doesn't cost me any power over open headers, track #'s confirm this, being I've run as fast with it on and off... not the lightest due to the pipe dia and whatnot, but it works good. The motor plate, allowed me to solid mount the exhaust to the attachment points of my ds loop, and this allowed the exhaust to be tucked up really good.

Just get something that's only a 4 inch dia case, and you can tuck it up pretty good.
thanks for the info. I'm running vortec mufflers inside turn outs right off the collector's. I thought I killed some 60' but after reading you ran the same with open headers. It changed my mind to put longer pipes / mufflers on it.

Quick Reply: Bullets off the collector or keep Y pipe