Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

25.3 Outlaw Drag Radial Camaro Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012 | 06:50 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 03supercobra
Looking really good, what front shocks are those? Interesting mounting.
The shocks are made by JRI and are the ST/08

http://www.jrishocks.com/products/pr...id=9&prod_id=6

They are used in Pro Stock and really work killer. They were mounted of a tab style bracket that was made and it worked out really good. If I'm correct the are 19" overall and should really make the adjustment side of it easy.

We talked about making a whole new upper plate but kept it stock so people can see that the control arms in a stock location. I didn't want to have stuff questioned. Here is a close up of the tab.

Old 12-10-2012 | 07:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool, Afco's come with a similar mounting bracket at the top. That I the first time I have seen front shocks mounted body up on the front. Let us know how you like valving on the shocks.
Old 12-10-2012 | 08:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 03supercobra
Very cool, Afco's come with a similar mounting bracket at the top. That I the first time I have seen front shocks mounted body up on the front. Let us know how you like valving on the shocks.
Shock body up is common in bikes. It has better unspung weight that way
Old 12-10-2012 | 09:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by orange88ls1s-dime
Shock body up is common in bikes. It has better unspung weight that way
Yah, I have read that and have seen that setup on the rear of many cars. I have just never seen it on the front, looks cool.
Old 12-11-2012 | 12:55 AM
12 Second Club

Can any shock be Mounted body side up? Or would it effect the way the shock works?
Namely a strange single adjustable?
Old 12-11-2012 | 07:41 AM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mighty Whitey
Can any shock be Mounted body side up? Or would it effect the way the shock works?
Namely a strange single adjustable?
Compression is compression and rebound is rebound
Old 12-11-2012 | 07:24 PM
10 Second Club

Is the car staying the same color? I like that blue. It looks killer in the sun.

Congrats on the Championship!
Old 12-11-2012 | 08:12 PM
FormerVendor

I could be wrong in this statement, but I'm almost certain that if you mount a shock that isn't designed to be mounted in an inverted fashion, it will not function properly. On that note, I do not think you can hang the Strange/qa1 upside down. I run the Afco's and we run them upside down, do the same with the Penske.
Old 12-11-2012 | 08:30 PM
9 Second Club
10 Year Member

Received 289 Likes on 109 Posts

What size oil tank is that? Any part numbers by chance..? Looks nice.

Originally Posted by Eddie Krawiec
Hey Guy's. I got a few updates. The car has been moving a long nicely at DMC and is the final stretch. I plan on driving out to the shop in 2 weeks to go and pick the car up. Once I get the car I will have to finish some minor detail stuff then tear it down for the final time and do some paint & powder coating. I then can work on getting all back together. DMC was going to do most of that but I would like to so I know the ins-and-outs of it. I then will wire it up and hopefully have it all done before I have to start my race season. If all goes well I would like test the car in Feb. We all know how that stuff goes so all I'm worried about is getting it and working at the best pace to get get it done.

I do have some pictures that are a little older and will update with other one's once I get them. Dennis has a bunch of pictures but hasen't had the time to send them over and as I get them I will post them. I got a buch of cell phone pictures but they aren't very good quality and I will wait until I get the nice one's.

Well anyway Dennis and the guys mounted the oil tank and rather then hanging it off the front like everyone does he wanted to hide it in the back by the fire wall and keep the front clean. Sounds simple but when Dennis ment he was going to hide it he ment it. Out came the plasma cutter and they cut away some of the fire wall to french it into it. This will allow the tank to be mounted low and maintain lot's of tire clearance and ground clearance and not to mention look clean. It will also help with the exhaust clearance since it will run behind the front tire also. During the process he had to cut up the tank a little to but I'm sure it will look just fine when done. Well anyway here are some of the pictures of the process.

Thanks EK
Old 12-12-2012 | 01:40 AM
12 Second Club

Lol true. Didn't know if these were oil filled shocks, and I'd the oil laying on the piston would change the way it worked or not.

Guess I've got one more winter project to do!
Old 01-29-2013 | 06:37 PM
TECH Regular

Any updates Eddie? I am sure things are starting to ramp up for your NHRA schedule.
Old 01-30-2013 | 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Racecraft makes a nice upper mount, BTW
http://www.racecraft.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=361

car looks great
Old 02-05-2013 | 08:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CanuckSS
Any updates Eddie? I am sure things are starting to ramp up for your NHRA schedule.
Yes I have a few updates but to honest the shop / travel and home stuff has kept me quite busy and I haven't had a chance to post anything. I will try to sit down for a little bit this weekend and post stuff up.

I had planed on getting the car between the holidays and bring it home but I left it at DMC with hopes that he can finish it up for me by March. I do plan on getting it in late March so it can be ready to hit the track in May since I'm off that whole month. DMC has a paint booth inside the shop so I was just going to have them paint it and do most of the stuff and I would only have little things to do when I get it. I want to make some NMCA stuff when they come out to the mid west. I have 4 races with in 4 hours of my house and not on race weekends so I want to plan on going to a minimum of 2 or 3 of them.

Like I said I will get some update pics up once I get a chance. Thanks for the bump

EK
Old 02-12-2013 | 12:12 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Eddie Krawiec
Yes I have a few updates but to honest the shop / travel and home stuff has kept me quite busy and I haven't had a chance to post anything. I will try to sit down for a little bit this weekend and post stuff up.

I have 4 races with in 4 hours of my house and not on race weekends so I want to plan on going to a minimum of 2 or 3 of them.

Like I said I will get some update pics up once I get a chance. Thanks for the bump

EK
Lets see those pics.

Looks good, can't wait to see some shakedowns on this setup.
Old 02-24-2013 | 07:06 PM
Launching!

Well guys sorry it took so long to post a update. I have a bunch of pictures and waiting on a bunch more from Dennis @ DMC Racing. So I sorted through what I got here and picked the best one's. I haven't got all the good pictures from him some shots are from his camera phone. I guess some are better then none. Well anyway time to move on.

Well a little bit back I posted a few pictures of the wing getting started. So here is what it looks like from start finish along with the parachute mounts.

So we were not a fan of how the carbon spill plates on the side of the wing looked so Dennis spent a little bit of time to fab up some new one's out of aluminum. I think they look real clean and fit the body lines way better.

In the last picture you can he also got the chute mount set up built and on the car. This is what the Chute mount & holders look like up close

Here is one with the chutes all mounted up and complete. I went with the spring launcher style just to not have to worry about the air set up. I think it is more of a fail safe set up and keeps it simple

Also I showed one with the dash in but here is a picture of the top. I think it couldn't have fit really any better then it did. I'm really happy with the look.

The floors got a buttoned up and welded. It takes no time to cut the floors out but it takes a lot of time to weld them back in. Here is a shot of it getting done. We tried to keep it as clean as we could and use the OEM metal as much as we could.

Non OEM part of it

The intercooler was mounted in the back and the charge tubes as low to the floor as DMC can get them. I wanted it behind me just in case anything was to ever happen to it. Exile Turbos built it and made the thing really strong so I think it will never be a issue but you could never be to cautious.

Next thing we changed was the ice box. Dennis gave it some thought and with the way we had the cooler in the trunk area I would have had to do to many things to service the car between runs. So Dennis thought putting it right up front between the charge tubes would help make it a much faster service plus help balance out the car. This is what DMC came up with and I think it will make my life a ton easier.

Alright guys. I have to run and will try and get some more up in the coming days. Thanks for looking and hopefully I can get more of them up soon.
Old 02-24-2013 | 07:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That is some top notch fab work there Eddie, very impressive and clean! I can't wait until you get to make some hits in this rocket.
Old 02-25-2013 | 03:28 PM
11 Second Club

Your man Dennis has done some super nice fab work! Lots of time and effort there and looks flawless. Looks very nice, cant wait to see more pics.
Old 02-25-2013 | 06:16 PM
10 Second Club

Looks good man.
Old 02-25-2013 | 10:03 PM
8 Second Club

Love the ice box, very creative.
Old 02-27-2013 | 08:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1SpeedAddict
Love the ice box, very creative.
Yea I think it was a great use of space. We plan on putting a seat over it so all you will see is the cap. DMC is working on some other little things for it that should be really cool. I plan on posting some other things in the next few days. I just need a little bit of time.

Thanks

Quick Reply: 25.3 Outlaw Drag Radial Camaro Build