Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

25.3 Outlaw Drag Radial Camaro Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010 | 09:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by barkingspud
Incredible flow numbers. Those are the heads I am looking for. Not to knock my ETP's since these weren't around when I started my build. What size chambers will you be going with?
The chambers are 60cc. I hade Cary do them as large as he could. He might be able to get 62cc out of them but that would all depend on the final decking of it.
Old 08-30-2010 | 09:07 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Eddie Krawiec
The chambers are 60cc. I hade Cary do them as large as he could. He might be able to get 62cc out of them but that would all depend on the final decking of it.
That would be perfect for my motor. I wonder if the intake ports are the same design (size/spacing) as my ETP C5R's hmmmmm....
Old 08-30-2010 | 01:53 PM
Launching!

That would be perfect for my motor. I wonder if the intake ports are the same design (size/spacing) as my ETP C5R's hmmmmm....
I don't think they are. The ports were moved around for push rod clearance. I know that a Cary's Intake will not just bolt on without doing some welding on it.
Old 08-30-2010 | 03:33 PM
10 Second Club

I don't think they are. The ports were moved around for push rod clearance. I know that a Cary's Intake will not just bolt on without doing some welding on it.
No doubt. I'm really glad to see Cary hooking up with MAST Motorsports. He's a LOT better at design than sales and support. Hopefully it will be a fruitful venture for both of them. That said, I'm sure it will be a lot easier to get pre-sales information this way. I guess I'd just have another manifold made up if I went with the Mozez heads.
Old 08-30-2010 | 03:51 PM
7 Second Club

Marcella sheetmetal is the only way to roll with those heads. John will take good care of you.
Old 08-30-2010 | 05:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
Marcella sheetmetal is the only way to roll with those heads. John will take good care of you.
John is doing mine. I can't wait.
Old 08-30-2010 | 07:43 PM
7 Second Club

John is doing mine. I can't wait.
I know, thats why i said john will take good care of you.
Old 08-31-2010 | 08:19 PM
Launching!

Well I got one more piece to the puzzle in the today. The camshaft. It started life as a 60mm core and was turned into what you see by LSM Systems Engineering. This thing is stout. I had a few reasons for going with the larger 60mm core. One being a little stronger resisting flex and the other reason is you can do a lot with the lobe profile and ramps that all help out with the upper parts in the valvetrain. Here are some pictures I took.

Last edited by Eddie Krawiec; 08-31-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-01-2010 | 06:10 AM
Race your car!

There's alot of lift in that thing that's for sure

Looks good
Old 09-01-2010 | 03:37 PM
Launching!

This cam will be used for a little test we are going to try. I will have 1 or 2 more done to see what works out best. My plan is to check it and break it in on this one and then try the others. It is a easy and cheap way to see what it likes best.
Old 09-01-2010 | 04:17 PM
Race your car!

Hell just playing with the advance with the timing advance with the jesel setup can give you a good indicator as to what the next one may need to be.
Old 09-01-2010 | 08:07 PM
10 Second Club

This cam will be used for a little test we are going to try. I will have 1 or 2 more done to see what works out best. My plan is to check it and break it in on this one and then try the others. It is a easy and cheap way to see what it likes best.
LOL...A little test? Damn man! I understand that R&D costs $$. Are you using anything to help with the design like EAP 3.9 or some other mathematical modeling software? I understand there is nothing like hands-on experience with respect to cam design but I'm sure there is some way to get a good starting point with software. I've determined that just changing to your heads would net me another 80HP@7500 with my cam. That is enough for me to consider the swap.

Not questioning your method Eddie, just trying to understand.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 09-02-2010 | 12:50 PM
Launching!

LOL...A little test? Damn man! I understand that R&D costs $$. Are you using anything to help with the design like EAP 3.9 or some other mathematical modeling software? I understand there is nothing like hands-on experience with respect to cam design but I'm sure there is some way to get a good starting point with software. I've determined that just changing to your heads would net me another 80HP@7500 with my cam. That is enough for me to consider the swap.

Not questioning your method Eddie, just trying to understand.

Thanks,

Mark
Mark

I do agree about knowing and doing stuff with computer software but sometimes the real data comes from the track. I know the cam I have will be really close and make great power but I really don't know if it will be the best. The dyno is a great way to get data and a baseline but it will not tell you what combo works best.
All I care about is the best power on average in the power band I'm looking to use. Sometimes you just will not ever know without trying it and for the minimum investment of a cam I think it will be worth the test. These turbo setups make more power then we can use in a lot of cases so I'm just looking for a way to add more power early and being able to keep it under control. The hardest part is in the management of it.
Thanks
Old 09-02-2010 | 01:56 PM
10 Second Club

Mark

I do agree about knowing and doing stuff with computer software but sometimes the real data comes from the track. I know the cam I have will be really close and make great power but I really don't know if it will be the best. The dyno is a great way to get data and a baseline but it will not tell you what combo works best.
All I care about is the best power on average in the power band I'm looking to use. Sometimes you just will not ever know without trying it and for the minimum investment of a cam I think it will be worth the test. These turbo setups make more power then we can use in a lot of cases so I'm just looking for a way to add more power early and being able to keep it under control. The hardest part is in the management of it.
Thanks
Understood. I guess it's not that much investment to try out a few different grinds to get the best powerband. That said, are you going to track test them or just chassis dyno?
Old 09-02-2010 | 04:27 PM
Launching!

On track will be the way I go. The numbers you get on the track don't lie.
Old 09-03-2010 | 01:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

On track will be the way I go. The numbers you get on the track don't lie.
Spoken like a true racer!
Old 09-03-2010 | 09:33 AM
10 Second Club

Very cool. That's the only way I've ever tuned a motor...

Oh and best of luck this weekend!
Old 09-03-2010 | 10:06 AM
Race your car!

Only thing a wheel dyno is good for is breaking in a driveline, and a new engine. Other then that it's about useless for hitting a tuneup for a car going down the track.

Wind drag, actual load the car sees, etc are all factors. Faster you go, more they matter, and throw that "dyno" tune out the window.

I'm a firm believer, that a dyno has it's use, breaking stuff in, helping to diagnose a problem, but for doing an actual tuneup, not the way to do it. Reading plugs, logging data and actual on track performance are the only 3 things that can really tell you if you have it right or not.
Old 09-03-2010 | 10:28 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=358chevycamaro;13817257]Spoken like a true racer! [/QUOTE

It is the only way I know. I'm not all about the HP numbers. The numbers I care about are on the scoreboards. I will take a car that runs better et with less HP any day. That means your getting it done.
Old 09-26-2010 | 03:59 PM
FormerVendor

Dare I even ask what the price tag for a set of those heads with rockers?

Quick Reply: 25.3 Outlaw Drag Radial Camaro Build