Sponsored by:

Pictures of my winter Race car complete re-wiring project

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 06:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
That is a really nice setup for sure.

I'd actually like a wiring diagram for the whole car... shoot me a PM when you get a chance, easier that way.
Wiring schematics are different for all cars depending on what you want and have for options.

Originally Posted by Fireball
very very nice
Originally Posted by JL ws-6
It would be a sticky if I can get one. I'd like to see how to wire the doors so you can ditch the body control module 100%, I'm ditching the power lock solenoids when I have the doors apart so I don't care if the fob works anymore. Same with the alarm, and I'm going to put a BS3 in with it's own harness, so that's done, just need one for the car, how to wire up the BS3 to it, and that's about it. I think I can figure the rest out, my setup is really simple, I'm just going to add a window switch to the nitrous engagement, and maybe wire in a progressor to get the 1 big kit to leave, and that's it.
If you still want windows to go down with the body control module missing, you will be better off to find some manual window doors. The link to a window motor wiring diagram posted by Fireball will not work. The window motors have a special control module that runs the windows. They don't get a straight 12 volts. It appears they either step up the voltage or step it down per the factory wiring schematic. I researched this on a car I wired last fall and experimented with usinig relays and 12 volt signal to the motors. I can 100% guarantee that they don't work with 12 volts. I could wire in the window motor module, but there would be another 20-25 wires to add at least. I've got the PIN outs, but I really didn't want to mess with it at that time.

Originally Posted by 87Lt1Monte
Very nice! what kind of wire did you use?
I used Crosslinked SXL wire, in 8, 10, 12, 14 and 16 gauge.

Originally Posted by AChotrod
Looks confuzing as hell. Great job!!
Try looking at a rats nest of wires and tell me if it looks confusing. I know what everything is on that board, and so would someone else if they purchased it as I've got a complete printout/schematic that shows what EVERYTHING is and where it goes or comes from.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:13 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

So are you planning to make the dashboard removable for easy access?
Old 02-23-2010, 08:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
So are you planning to make the dashboard removable for easy access?

I can have the dash out of my car in a matter of 5 minutes or less anyway. But the reason for mounting the relay/fuse panel where did is so that I can remove the radio area switch panel an reach back there to change a fuse or check a relay. Easily accessed through the radio hole.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Launching!

unreal work - thats amazing!
Old 02-23-2010, 10:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

looks nice. man thats a lot of terminal blocks. haha. You can get the windows to work with out the big body control module. I just did this. Used the factory black box module for the windows and hooked up the factory ground and if i remember correctly the orange power wire. works great. Only thing i kept in the car was the windows, mirrors, and running lights.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by promod1955
looks nice. man thats a lot of terminal blocks. haha. You can get the windows to work with out the big body control module. I just did this. Used the factory black box module for the windows and hooked up the factory ground and if i remember correctly the orange power wire. works great. Only thing i kept in the car was the windows, mirrors, and running lights.

Thats correct. When I said 20-25 wires is when someone takes and cuts out the factory harness and only leaves the wires sticking out of the door. Thats when its alot harder to get going..haha.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I got ya. Yea forget trying to redo all that. No sense reinventing the wheel.

Again you did a nice job. I've wired a few race cars myself. Thats when my OCD realy shows up. Im like you and have to have all the wires dead straight and not twisted. That drives me nuts seeing wires twisted. I have problems.....
Old 02-23-2010, 11:09 PM
8 Second Club

Looks awsome!
Old 02-24-2010, 06:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SMKN TA 95
If you still want windows to go down with the body control module missing, you will be better off to find some manual window doors. The link to a window motor wiring diagram posted by Fireball will not work. The window motors have a special control module that runs the windows. They don't get a straight 12 volts. It appears they either step up the voltage or step it down per the factory wiring schematic. I researched this on a car I wired last fall and experimented with usinig relays and 12 volt signal to the motors. I can 100% guarantee that they don't work with 12 volts. I could wire in the window motor module, but there would be another 20-25 wires to add at least. I've got the PIN outs, but I really didn't want to mess with it at that time.
I have the wiring diagrams for the car so I'll take a closer look at this. If there's a will, there's a way
Old 02-24-2010, 07:44 AM
9 Second Club

Sweeeet!!! Very Very nice.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:50 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Smkn, I"ll have to chcek with Ken on the windows, I know he's rewired a bunch of cars, I don't think they leave that module in the car.... I think there's a way to do it with strait voltage from the battery.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SMKN TA 95

Try looking at a rats nest of wires and tell me if it looks confusing. I know what everything is on that board, and so would someone else if they purchased it as I've got a complete printout/schematic that shows what EVERYTHING is and where it goes or comes from.
I meant wiring in general, its the part I absolutely hate the most. When I do go nuts with this car a nice panel like will be used for sure!!!
Old 02-24-2010, 05:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

that the nicest looking setup i've seen for the wiring. very nice job!
Old 02-24-2010, 08:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

holy mother of god thats a lot of **** for a race car! What the hell is it all for? lol I need to wire my car and didnt think it would be close to that many wires. Is any of that for the engine harness? or all body related acc. stuff?

For mine i have in my head that the computer is gonna be a stand-alone unit so pulg into the computer, power it and plug it into the engine, done. Then wire headlights, tail lights, break lights and pwr windows and done again.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As always badass work man!!! Love the car in general
Old 02-24-2010, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Taubr Unit
holy mother of god thats a lot of **** for a race car! What the hell is it all for? lol I need to wire my car and didnt think it would be close to that many wires. Is any of that for the engine harness? or all body related acc. stuff?

For mine i have in my head that the computer is gonna be a stand-alone unit so pulg into the computer, power it and plug it into the engine, done. Then wire headlights, tail lights, break lights and pwr windows and done again.
i was thinking the same but it looks like i may be wrong...
Old 02-24-2010, 09:56 PM
Teching In

If you leave the harness going from door to door with the small black box the windows will work with a 12 volt source. The brown is the 12 volt on the driverside plug. The small orange is power mirror. The orange with a black stripe is power locks. If you don't get crazy when you take out the factory harness the windows, locks, and mirrors are very simple.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

well i dont care about the looks or mirrors, locks will just be manual and once my mirrirs are set i never move um so just my windows ill need. Is it hard to hardwire in turn signals and brake lights?
Old 02-24-2010, 10:20 PM
10 Second Club

You sir have mad wiring skills. Very nice.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:31 PM
Teching In

If you use a painless kit the blinkers are easy, you just pin the connector and plug it into the column. The brake lights are a little tricky for a first time guy. you have to use a relay with the factory switch and run your own 12 volt source.

Quick Reply: Pictures of my winter Race car complete re-wiring project