Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Turbo Ta Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 09:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Its been a while since we updated, but rest assured we have been working our asses off! We will just diver right in to bring you all up to speed. Last weekend I was busy, but that didn't stop Chris form getting some work done! Hes no pro at taking pics, but something is better than nothing

He started out by pulling off the bumper so he could paint the chute mount. Sprayed a quick couple coats of flat black....

Then back on the car

Then he hung the bumper, put all new lights in, put the tail lights back in, and put the rest of the chute mount on to check fitment.

After that (since he was on a body work kick) he jumped onto the hood. There was a small chip in the one corner that he had to fix

Of course after that he painted it, but didn't get any pictures of it. To be fair he had some problems and had to re-do it a couple times. We will get back to that...

He also pulled the engine harness off at some point in all of that.

During the week he removed all of the excess wiring in the engine harness, and re loomed it all to clean it up some. We do plan on a much bigger rewire, and will be going through the whole car and bringing it all up to standard. This was just to make it look better for a little while. Of course I have no pictures of this work either , but you will see it on the car in a while.

Moving on to this weekend where we knocked out a lot more little things in preparation for the dyno next weekend. The first thing we had to finally figure out was the damn starter. For those of you who don't know, we had a problem with starting the car after moving the battery to the back of the car. Long story short it ended up being the starter relay not being able to hold in. So we eliminated the stock one and added in our own. While we were at it we wanted to add a "bump" button under the hood to turn over the car, and while we were doing that we figured why not be able to start it too so we added a switch for that!

Wiring

And installed with some aluminum rivets

Since we were on wiring, we stuck with the theme. Chris got to work redoing the coil pack harnesses. We needed them longer, and better looking, so he chopped them up

And here is the passenger side all finished without loom

While he worked on that one I was finally finishing up the bumper. We added weather packs on each side so that you can just unplug the wiring for the lights and not have it hanging down.

Here is a male terminal crimped and ready to go into a connector.

Here is the driver side on the bumper

And the car side of the drivers side

After that I got in the car and finished wiring up the latching relay system for the trans brake and the two step. The basic rundown on that is we can have either the two step, or the trans brake, or both on at any time and they are activated by the button the wheel. So you pick what you want on, then arm the system, then as soon as you press the button on the wheel it will activate what you have selected and release it when you let go. Then the button on the wheel is dead so you can accidentally press it and nothing will happen until you re-arm the system. I gotta thank my boss Keith for that bit of wiring! No pics of that, but there isn't anything to see really anyway.

Then I worked on finishing up the back of the car, while Chris reinstalled the coil packs and checked over wiring. Here are some pics of the battery, shutoff, and plastic all finished.

And here is the harness back on the car, with the new coil pack wiring. It is still missing the two-step here, and needs to be cleaned up. Chris is also ordering up some new shorter FireCore 50 wires this week.

After we were burnt out on wiring, Chris jumped back on the hood. He had some trouble with the way the paint sprayed last week, so he had to sand it all out.

While he was doing that his camera shy girlfriend Rachel threw some paint on the rest of the chute mount pieces.

And here she is (still camera shy) Sunday morning painting the hood

Here is the chute mount all finished, just waiting on the Stroud chute and cable to come in this week hopefully.

We got the seats back in, and the driver side harness 100%. We still have to paint the cage where the harness goes on the passenger side, so its still not in.

Then it was out side for a couple spins around the block, a quick wipe down, and some pics!

Rachel's turn!

Then a quick wipe down

And lastly a couple quick pics of it clean

This would have been great if SOMEONE's hand wasn't in the way!!!!

And here is one of my favorite of the car!

That is all for this installment. Next weekend we are going to be on the Dyno, so that should be an exciting update!! Thanks as always for following along with us.

Sean
Old 04-17-2011, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looking good guys, post some video of the dyno runs so we can hear that bad boy run...
Old 04-18-2011, 05:07 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98 StealthZ
looking good guys, post some video of the dyno runs so we can hear that bad boy run...
Don't worry about that, Chris bought a HD camcorder a few months back just for the car

Sean
Old 04-18-2011, 05:42 AM
12 Second Club

Bad *** build and nice car.

Do you think you could snap some photos of the car from inside with the hood?
Old 04-18-2011, 08:33 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Asian LSX
Bad *** build and nice car.

Do you think you could snap some photos of the car from inside with the hood?
Thank you!

I think I can handle that

Sean
Old 04-19-2011, 09:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My boost controller finally showed up!

Old 04-25-2011, 08:58 PM
9 Second Club

Well it's Monday and I am finally ready to update. Unfortunately there is not much to update. This was a LONG weekend of work, and dyno time. It all started early in the week with Chris installing the AMS-1000 display, and 90% of the wiring.

Friday it was my turn to do the plumbing side, and the rest of the wiring to the solenoids and MAP sensor.

In hind sight I should have plumbed them together different just for the looks of it, but it works just fine and will do for now. I apparently never got pics of the waste gate side, but it isn't all that exciting anyway. Once Chris got back from work he dove into the BIG project of the weekend, the ECU swap.

If you don't know already this is a difficult swap. Almost every wire on the ECU needs to be moved, and some extended. Unfortunately for Chris the instructions he had were neither clear, or complete! But after a while we was able to get the bulk of it done, then we were able to trace some of the remaining wires and other important ones. After he was confident that it was all good we hooked up the computer so that we can check some of the sensors. When they checked out Chris wanted to crank it over to see some "movement" of some sensors. To our surprise it actually started for a couple of seconds!! So that was defiantly a good sign! After that Chris wired in the new GM 3 bar MAP sensor, and we were shot for the night.

We also knocked out some of the other smaller things that needed to be done to the car, such as painting the window net mount and some other things that were added to the cage. Installing the passenger side harness. Installing new plugs, changing the oil, and so on...

Here is an over head shot of the engine bay all ready for the dyno Saturday morning. The wiring is not finished, but functional for now, also there is a piece of tape on the oil cap reminding us to check the level after the car has started.

Saturday morning rolls around and we are up early to load the car and get it over to Simpson Performance. Very uneventfully which is good when loading or unloading a car And here is the car at the shop getting ready to be strapped down.

We had a little bit of a computer problem which delayed the start of the dyno session. Short story, Corey's main computer died recently and he was having a hard time finding some needed files, but eventually we got them and got started. We started with the very basic set up of the operating system and baseline tuning (start up, and so on), were able to make a couple low boost part throttle pulls and then had to call it a day.

Sunday morning we got up early again to head back over to get some real tuning done! Last year we had a problem with fuel and not having enough. Once we fixed that problem them our tune up was a little rich....

The flame thrower didn't last too long, Corey was on top of that ****! He started to chip away at the tune up and bring in more and more boost. Soon enough we were out of time again! Apparently people are busy on Easter weekend!? But before we left Chris and I installed the 10psi spring in the wast gate in preparation for the next day. We also seemed to be running out of fuel (again!) so we turned up the base pressure. Corey was going to adjust accordingly later in the day so we would be ready to go in the morning.

One shot of the car on Sunday

Monday, and you guessed it, another early morning! This time we got right into it and picked up where we left off. Corey had made a couple of pulls the night before and confirmed that the fuel tables were back to where they needed to be. We kept a close eye on the fuel pressure gauge for the rest of the day. As the boost went up, the fuel was going away, not good. So we pulled the pumps and found a bunch of trash in the screens. Cleaned them up and put it all back together, and now only one pump was working?! Pulled them out again and found the we snagged a wire going back in and unplugged it. So we plugged it back in, and checked the rest of the wires, put it back together and nothing?! So we thought (hopped) maybe we were running low on fuel so we ran and got another 5 gallons of 110 leaded, filled it up, and NOTHING!!!! So we pulled the pumps AGAIN and thought maybe they went in bad so more or less just threw them back in with our fingers crossed. Keyed on and, you guessed it, NOTHING AGAIN!?!?! Talk about frustrating! So we took them out again and found that we had some how wired them backwards (don't ask me how the hell that happened, I still don't know), so fixed that, put it all back together, and finally it was all working 100% again.

But after ALL of that, we still were out of fuel We suspect one, or maybe both, pumps is going or has gone bad. We shouldn't be out of fuel at the power we are making right now. So Chris ordered up two new pumps, so we can 100% rule out that problem. We are also going to clean out the filter and check the rest of the fuel system to make sure it is all good.

So that is where we are at, 3 days on the dyno and we are still not ready to make passes We are making a lot of headway, and we learned a lot the last few days. We will get these small issues sorted out and really see what this set up can do! I am not sure when we are going to be able to get back on the dyno, or make any passes but I will keep you all in the loop! Thanks again for following along!

Sean
Old 04-25-2011, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

I am sorry to hear about all the issues, I am glad that I am not the only one fighting gremlins.... Good luck with it and keep pushing ahead...
Old 04-26-2011, 07:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

cant wait to here how she does.........

Last edited by fuel; 04-26-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:01 AM
9 Second Club

Thanks for the comments guys. So, i am starting to think that my dyno numbers were inflated last year, by the converter having 20% slip. I am not sure if that is how it works, but @ the same boost lvls the car seems to be down about the slip we had. @ 9 psi we went from 590 last year, to 500 this year. But @ 6700 rpms the car was doing 155 mph, and last year @ 7,000 rpms the car was doing 134.

I have calculated out the slip and it is right at 4% on the dyno. I will check it again while its on the track. We ran out of fuel around 15-16 psi. The Fuel pumps would start off base 60, rise to around 75psi and then they would fall to around 45-50psi. The only explanation i have for this is the fuel pumps. They are both wired separate. They each have there own 30amp relay, and there own 20amp fuse. Because of the fuel pressure falling off we hit 102% duty cycle on the 60# injectors on 15 psi. Once we get the fuel pressure to stay, we should be able to get close to 20psi of boost on the 60's. If need be, then i might go to 80's, but we will see how close the turbo is to getting maxed out.

Even though the numbers seem lower then last year, the car is going to be faster this year!
Old 06-10-2011, 11:11 PM
9 Second Club

We actually made some shake down runs this past weekend. We ran a best of 9.868 @ 146.69 with a horrible 1.67 60' time. We have some small things to change around, and we will be back in the next couple of weeks to get the short times down! In the mean time, here are a couple pics from this past weekend.

Sean
Old 06-11-2011, 09:43 AM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you save any log files?
Old 06-11-2011, 10:36 AM
9 Second Club

We did not save any logs. I have hp pro, and there is a firmware issue righting to the memory, which they are working on. We did not work on the 60ft much last weekend, but we are going to be getting it dialed in today. Thanks for the help and once i get a log i will send it your way.

Thanks, chris
Old 06-11-2011, 10:39 AM
7 Second Club

Are you trying to log to the module?
Old 06-11-2011, 11:22 AM
9 Second Club

Yes, just went 9.44 @ 148 w a 1.50 launching of 5 psi, 4500 rpm
Old 06-11-2011, 11:25 AM
7 Second Club

Throw the laptop in and log that way. I'd add 7 tenths on the launch PSI same RPM.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:06 PM
11 Second Club

Car is movin! Those pics are killer BTW!
Old 06-11-2011, 05:00 PM
9 Second Club

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BErbSWtfxj4
Old 06-11-2011, 05:14 PM
12 Second Club

damn that car is nice
Old 06-11-2011, 05:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

bump