Old 06-11-2011, 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is that a tornado in the background? Lol
Old 06-11-2011, 06:41 PM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sideways240sx
You definitely were not on the brake long enough. You need to work on your staging routine if you plan on racing it. Does it have a 2/3 step on it?
Old 06-11-2011, 07:21 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
You definitely were not on the brake long enough. You need to work on your staging routine if you plan on racing it. Does it have a 2/3 step on it?
We both agree 100%, but we are getting comfortable with the car. We come from much slower cars, and this is all very new to us, and we are figuring it out. Today our goal was to get the 60ft down, no matter how long we had to sit on the line. On the last pass we were at 7 psi @ the launch on the brake, and the car dead hooked it, so we will keep raising it up a little.

The car does have a 2 step, and we will be getting that set up the next time we are at the track.

Thanks for your help phil! We both greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks, Chris
Old 06-11-2011, 09:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Phil, as Chris said we are still in the learning stages with the car. We are creeping up on it being more consistent while also going faster. I am wondering though, how long should we be on the brake? Launch RPM was over 4K, and we had a problem with the two step so we still were not using it. But more or less I would watch the boost until it was stable for a second and then go. As Chris said we started with the manifold pressure at 5, went up 1 for the second pass (which was a throw away because of me, but it hooked), and then up another .5 on the last pass (9.50 pass). So the launch boost was right around 7psi, and still dead hooking, but it didn't seem to come into the power quick enough when I came off the brake.

Also looking at the video, I think we need to make some adjustments on the sway bar. So we know we have some work to do still. Today was a great day, and we made some good progress. Unfortunately we had to cut it short when I had a bit of an accident. I should be good to go by next weekend, and we can get back to work!!

Lastly, I want to say that the addition of the chute is probably one of the best things we ever put on the car. Obviously it helps to slow the car down quite a bit, but the braking is so much more comfortable with it. The end of the run is no longer a worry about slowing down, or making the turn off. We are only in the 140's, but I will pull it EVERY pass because of how much better the car slows down with it. Packing is quick as well, so there really is no downside. I mention all of this because you see a lot of people saying things about how they are a pain in the ***, or not needed until XXX MPH and so on. If you are in the 140's, there is no reason not to have one, and not to use it every pass.

Sean
Old 06-16-2011, 10:53 AM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Replied below....

Originally Posted by Broke EF
Phil, as Chris said we are still in the learning stages with the car. We are creeping up on it being more consistent while also going faster. I am wondering though, how long should we be on the brake?
As long as it takes to get the boost to flatline.... Launch RPM was over 4K, and we had a problem with the two step so we still were not using it. But more or less I would watch the boost until it was stable for a second and then go. As Chris said we started with the manifold pressure at 5, went up 1 for the second pass (which was a throw away because of me, but it hooked), and then up another .5 on the last pass (9.50 pass). So the launch boost was right around 7psi, and still dead hooking, but it didn't seem to come into the power quick enough when I came off the brake.What is the 1st stage of the AMS set to? Not to be a broken record but without logs we're pissing up a rope.

Also looking at the video, I think we need to make some adjustments on the sway bar.
I would get the car on a set of scales and make your adjustments from there. Try to tune the front shocks to get the back right and set the sway bar neutral.So we know we have some work to do still. Today was a great day, and we made some good progress. Unfortunately we had to cut it short when I had a bit of an accident. I should be good to go by next weekend, and we can get back to work!!

Lastly, I want to say that the addition of the chute is probably one of the best things we ever put on the car. Obviously it helps to slow the car down quite a bit, but the braking is so much more comfortable with it. The end of the run is no longer a worry about slowing down, or making the turn off. We are only in the 140's, but I will pull it EVERY pass because of how much better the car slows down with it. Packing is quick as well, so there really is no downside. I mention all of this because you see a lot of people saying things about how they are a pain in the ***, or not needed until XXX MPH and so on. If you are in the 140's, there is no reason not to have one, and not to use it every pass.

Sean
Old 06-16-2011, 12:35 PM
9 Second Club

Thanks Phil! Just to feed back more info, the boost was stable on each launch. As I said I would wait until the boost was stable then go each time.

I looked at the AMS settings, and I cant remember what they were off the top of my head. I will go back and get that for you tomorrow.

We are trying to sort out the problems with the data logging. We want to be able to use the HP Tuners to data log for us since we have the cable already, but its not so plug and play. Changing to EFI Live is an option (that is what the car is tuned on), but it is a decent chunk of change that we would rather see go to a true stand alone.

We do understand the importance of data, and we are working on getting more and more so that we can maximize the whole set up. We will get the car on some scales in the next few weeks and get that all dialed in as well.

Again, thanks for the help and advice it is greatly appreciated.

Sean
Old 06-16-2011, 12:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you know you can take the flag off the chute before the burnout right?
Old 06-16-2011, 02:29 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fireball
you know you can take the flag off the chute before the burnout right?
LOL, that was the first pass with the chute on and Chris forgot about it. I never even thought about it. We got into the lanes, and thought that the bracket guys would go first, but we we up right away. I was trying to get everything on, strapped in, and so on while I was taking my time to the water box so the car could warm up some!

Sean
Old 06-16-2011, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Broke EF
LOL, that was the first pass with the chute on and Chris forgot about it. I never even thought about it. We got into the lanes, and thought that the bracket guys would go first, but we we up right away. I was trying to get everything on, strapped in, and so on while I was taking my time to the water box so the car could warm up some!

Sean

a bit overly-excited, eh? lol
Old 06-16-2011, 08:25 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 6techniques
a bit overly-excited, eh? lol
Yea, that pass was rushed. We were even told they would run the bracket guys first. That was the 2nd pass of the day. Sean was rushing to get strapped in, and rdy to go, and yea I got the safety out of the chute before he launched.

Thanks, Chris
Old 06-17-2011, 09:57 PM
Teching In

You guys are doing great, really. Now, Tornado or not?
Old 06-17-2011, 10:36 PM
9 Second Club

Thanks Bob! We are getting there for sure. We found a "problem" with the AMS tonight that should help out our short times. We also have some other ideas to try along with the slowly creeping up on the power (off the line) like we have been.

That is the Byron Nuclear plant in the background pumping out some clouds

Sean
Old 06-17-2011, 10:46 PM
9 Second Club

Couldn't go this fast without your parts

Thanks!

Chris

Originally Posted by aeicoo
You guys are doing great, really. Now, Tornado or not?
Old 06-23-2011, 07:14 AM
9 Second Club

Just a little update, we were featured in an article on LSXTV.com!

http://www.lsxtv.com/features/car-re...bodies-part-2/

Sean
Old 09-04-2011, 01:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

whats new with this thing???
Old 09-04-2011, 09:44 AM
9 Second Club

Well, back in June we ended up hurting the trans. Chris was driving, he made two back to back 9 second passes, and then the problems started. On his third pass he was at the line on the brake trying to build boost when the car just jumped on its own. When he came back to the pits we tried to figure out what happened. We decided to set it up to let me make a pass so I could see what was going on. The trans was warmer the normal after Chris ran, so we let it cool down for a while. So I pull around, do my burnout, and then go to start staging. I was foot braking it in to help it spool, and when I got on the brake and floored it the trans made a horrible shrieking noise. So I just let it go and made my pass. I should have abandoned it, but I waned to see how it shifted, and the first to second shift lagged quite a bit from when I pulled the shifter.

So we loaded up, and took it home. I think we pulled the trans the following weekend, but I cant remember. Eventually we decided to rebuild it ourselves. So sometime in there Chris ordered up new clutches and steels, when they came in we had at it. We tore down the trans, and found what happened. When we (I) put the deep pan on, there is a stud that goes into the valve body to hold the end of the filter level. Well apparently that backed itself out which let the trans filter fall down and pull in some air. That of course let the trans go dry, and burned up the clutches. It also burned up the rear case bushing, which we did not get the first time around. So we tried to take it apart and put it together the same day, but after checking the clearance in the case bushing it needed to be replaced badly. So we ordered one up, and waited for it to come in. Then when it came it we tried to put it back together again and things were just not lining up. Turns out that we had an upgraded rear thrust bearing that didn't work with that style case bushing! So we had to order more parts again, but we got it right that time.

So we put it all back together, somewhere in there we had the converter gone through and re-stalled. We also changed the rear gear since we had topped it out already. We finally got it all back together, and ready to go a couple of weekends ago. We have driven it around, and the trans feels even better than before. The shifts are nice and firm, much more than before. The trans brake works perfect, and the car is running great after a set of plugs.

Unfortunately, we have not had a chance to get it back to the track yet. We probably wont be able to get to the track until mid/late October! We are both really busy with all kinds of stuff, but me getting married is probably the biggest hold up right now. I am moving next week, and getting married October 7th, which means all of the weekend between now and then are busy with something. We will be back out at least once more this year!

Sean

Last edited by Broke EF; 09-04-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn thats a lot going on lol...well congrats and I look forward to seeing a vid or two of the new runs! you guys ever go to gld?
Old 09-04-2011, 09:41 PM
9 Second Club

That's really just the tip of the ice burg! Between real work with OT on the weekends, working on MY car, all of the work on the TA, vacations, wedding stuff, family stuff, moving stuff it has been an extremely busy few months. We are going to try and squeeze some track time in before the wedding, but it will be hard to do.

We do go to GLD, but we haven't in a while. I was at the last RSD, and I have to say I am disappointed in that track these days. BUT we do want to try and make it out there if we can. It would probably have to be a Thursday night (slicks only), but with work that doesn't look very likely.

We should have some kind of an update before winter hits

Sean
Old 10-02-2011, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Home town Clive,IA current town FORT BENNING GEORGIA

i may have missed it but what size rear gear are you running?

Quick Reply: The Turbo Ta Build Thread