Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Relocation

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Z28rag
Why does it matter? A battery kill switch isn't illegal.
they could throw the "it makes the tag not legible" flag or come up with something to say about you defacing the tag.

I'm just saying... some of the cops around here are ****** when you come to town in a fast car. I've been told " boy you know you shouldnt be comming into town in something like this" before. and that was just a stock car w/ drag lites and et streets w/ the cut out open... and seen MANY trucks ride by WAY louder!
Old 06-07-2010, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been pulled a few times with my shutoff through the plate... It is at the far right edge of the plate and none of the local cops have ever said anything about it. I know I'm just lucky though.

Honestly, all cars that run at the track should have an external cutoff. **** can happen no matter howfast your car is, and fires caused by fuel pumps still running after an accident or a bad nitrous backfire don't descriminate based on et/battery location
Old 06-07-2010, 05:32 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by joelster
Keep in mind that the NHRA rules say it needs to be in a secure tray, but you need more than that for a 4th gen f-body. Our cars do not have a separate trunk. In order to make your battery relocation LEGAL at the track, it must be in a sealed and vented (to the outside) battery box. Otherwise fumes from the battery can contaminate the driver compartment and that is a big no-no.

The wiring for the shutoff must disconnect both the battery and the alternator. If you just shut off the battery the car will still run on the juice from the alternator itself. Figure adding about 25-30lbs worth of stuff to the car when you move the battery to the back. It's not worth it unless you KNOW you will be breaking the 9.99 barrier.

Don't know who's kit you are buying but 25-30 lbs is way too much for a relocate kit.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 03 BUSA
Don't know who's kit you are buying but 25-30 lbs is way too much for a relocate kit.
I disagree. I'm sure there's at least that much in mine, and I don't have a legal box. Large gauge, fine strand wire is HEAVY.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:52 AM
10 Second Club

With my Burkhart kit and Braile 3121 I will weigh about the same as I do right now with the regular batt up front. The kit itself with the wire is only right at 13 lbs and the battery is 21.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow... That's light! Is that braille battery a lightweight battery? Any worries about it struggling to turn that big, high compression monster over?

I used #2 welding cable, and that crap was HEAVY.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:54 PM
10 Second Club

Braille has a 2 year free replacement warranty and they said they will stand behind their product. I have no problem giving it a shot. 550 cca should be plenty.

Quick Reply: Battery Relocation