Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building a race car? Document it here!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 05:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got some things done yesterday..... the passenger side is skirted in. If you look carfully at the joins you can see how this was achieved.

I left the tubbs skirt till the end, as I wasnt sure how was best to do it. I nearly have it ready to weld in now.

I finished up the old t- top well with a couple of extra supports to support the Aluminium sheeting.

Still got plenty to do today, I will be using the same methods to build the new trans tunnel at both ends of the car.

Back to work I suppose, catch ya.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:52 PM
Teching In

I am trying The Light Weight Thing , I have a 2002 Trans Am Stk Motor for now with Bolt On's ,
10 Bolt with 4:56s stiffined up ,BMR rear race Suspension,Weld Drag Stars
Slp lid BBK Throttle Body with K&N,
Tryng to decide weather to Do The Turbo 400 thing now or just buy Convertor ??
will keep updating Stats
Old 04-18-2012, 04:59 PM
TECH Regular

Hey guys, Not to much to update..... I got the drivers side rail plate down last night. So one down and one floor plate to go! Then I will order the required molly tube to do my cage mods. Just gonna add an x brace in the hatch area, gusset a couple of corners, and add some front fender hoops. While im waiting on the molly I will try make a start on pluging the torque arm clearence hole, which will be removable also.

Still waiting on the Auto sparky to look at the wagon as it has no spark!! Hope you guys are getting some things done, catch ya.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:58 PM
TECH Regular

Guys a quick update, I now have both floor plates down! Im going to make a start at the panelling and the torque arm hole over the weekend.
Catch ya.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looks great Robb!!
Old 04-22-2012, 04:28 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks man!! Hope your getting somethings done!
Got the floor panels made up...... bit of a job to cut to the body line, but there done now. Didn't get a start on the torque arm hole, hopefully tonight. I will upload some new pics later. Anyway catch ya.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:54 PM
TECH Regular

Atlast some aluminium panneling, still needs a couple of nutcerts when I get my tool back from a buddy but there they are!

let me know what you guys think. Catch ya.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:51 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks great. Let me ask, did you make them removable with the dzus for a reason? Just wondering.. not sure if you're putting the battery or something under there, etc.

Work looks great though, and you're doing it all @ home. Wish I had all the tools I'd need to do everything myself like that... maybe someday. But for now I have a really good guy that's doing the work and it's coming out killer. Car should be done in about a month.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:26 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah I may put the battery under there...... but the big reason was to beable to pull the car back to its bare bones at will, and to keep the weight down. So they are only .8 ally and I couldnt come up with a better way of fixing the pannelling in as you obviously cant weld the two different metals together and I have spares fastners.

Yeah it is good to do it all at home. Saves some money and you get to make things the way you want them. Even if you cant do the whole job just doing part of it were you can still helps. Look forward to seeing the car finished up JL..
Old 04-25-2012, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fuel
the weekend was a little rough.we had a problem with the wide open throttle switch and wasted like 5 runs before we figured it out.the car went 8.10 at 169,with the second kit coming on late.the car should go 7.80s.
here is the vid
Do you have any back to back tests with the cowl hood vs. the forward facing scoop?
Old 04-25-2012, 04:43 PM
TECH Regular

Hey FOGGEDZ, ah fuel and the guys just check in from time to time man. He may see the post!

Thanks JL and Doug for the floor pan advice, I didnt actually do anymore with it as yet! I did start to mount the new VFN hatch. It is abit of a job unless you were seriously reworking the car, I dont think that it is a good idea. I removed the sealer around the hatch you cant weld with it there anyhow, it fitted better. Then moved to the back corners, I played aroud there for abit and actually ended up segmenting the bodywork in both corners. Then the problem went alittle further down so I cut the fender and moved it in about 100mm long. Now it is a nice fit. I got 1 dzus bracket in and the other 5 welded up. So so far it will mount the flat section of the hatch, then im looking at 4 others. I did take a couple of pics so ill get them up later, catch ya.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by foggedz
Do you have any back to back tests with the cowl hood vs. the forward facing scoop?
no i dont have any h/p or time tests.but i can tell you the the scoop does not hold up to a 400 h/p n2o back fire.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:45 PM
Race your car!

Fuel, are you o.k, and is the car o.k.? Hopefully just the hood took the brunt of that... I'm sure the lexan is toasted (seen that on a car that backfired a couple too many times)

Any idea what happened? That's a serious explosion! Hope all is well... and if that picture isn't a good enough reason to put a fire system in your car well I don't know what to say.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:47 PM
Race your car!

Originally Posted by 98 grmrpr
Look forward to seeing the car finished up JL..
Not to dissappoint but that's going to take a WHILE. I have so far to go it's not even funny LOL.

But, I may be picking up a 2nd job in the coming week or so, which if it pans out I'll be able to acumulate the suitcase of cash needed to finish it LOL.

Have to see how it goes.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

i made a big dumb mistake.im very upset about it.it broke the windsheld,blew the top of the bowl of the cab off,broke 5 speedtech nozzels and layed down both of the tubing on the kits,put tears in the hood,blew the scoop the smithereens....and i have a couple bent rods.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

this is 400 in the hole..............
i hope i dont become the poster child on how too restart a nitrous car when it stalls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg8iZqUXeOw
Old 04-26-2012, 02:57 AM
TECH Regular

Damn Fuel, no wonder you have been quiet! What a blow to the system...... man hope that your okay. Sounds like you have alot of damage to the car aswell, and that killer prostock scoop! As long as your okay, cars can be rebuilt!!
Old 04-26-2012, 07:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah im all right,the part thats killing me is that i cant go to the trailer like tony shumacher pull out the pars and get back out thier.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:50 AM
Race your car!

The system was still on, did you pump the pedal and hit the wot switch... I assume that's what happened? If so you're not the first person to have that happen. I know a couple people that didn't know they had a leaking solenoid, shut the car off, system was off but thd bottle wasnt shut off, or they didn't purge the line clear, nitrous leak filled the engine with nitrous, they went to start the car and boom! best of luck getting it back together, and believe me, none of us have parts in the trailer like a top fuel team to get us going again, if we did, then it was probably by mistake.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:59 PM
TECH Regular

Glad to here man! I'm hearing you with the spare parts bin, and like JL said if only we could find that suitcase full of money!!
On another irrelevant point, atleast you got to test and drive yours, my motor for my aussie car still has no spark and awaiting the auto elec. Car has been ready for nearly 3 months now!!
Got the rest of the brackets set up for the deck area ready to weld on, hopefully i'll get a chance to start it again tonight. So time consuming like the hood, you pull it off and put it on, im getting damn sick of it!!
Catch ya.

Quick Reply: Building a race car? Document it here!