Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building a race car? Document it here!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 06:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys, thanks for your thoughts. Dennis I have cut my windshield cowl back to where the windshield sits, just sat the old winshield in position and marked it around with a paint pen, then cut it back to the join in the firewall where the seam is.

I'm going to do like a little recess if you like where my carby goes, so it will not be straight across like yours I think???

Enjoy the vacation.... have one for me!!!!

Jl, nice thoughts with the plates!! I was thinking about studding my block, to make installation easier.

With the torsional support, like I said I have never seen one, we do not use them over here.. Can you explain this further, a pic would be even better!!! I am willing to add one, thanks guys, catch ya.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey Robb any updates? I think im going to start making my windshield. Still waiting on my turn back at the chassis shop.. Later
Old 09-14-2011, 05:29 PM
TECH Regular

Hey Dennis, yeah still waiting for the mig guide rollers to weld the windshield cowl back up.... have the steel sheet, new wire everything. Just cant do it yet, it is bothering me!!!! I cut my cowl back to here

I have the lower rad support fully trimmed now, I will tig the tubes in hopefully tonight... this is the top one ready to weld. Man it changes the appearence of the car!!!

VFN got back to me my order will be atleast 4 weeks away, then I have to get it here.
Lee from BMR sent my replacement Kmember friday it will be in california on the 16th.
I rang ARH and KOOKS about headers, neither could help. But put me onto lemons headers. Dan at lemons can help with a nice set of 1 7/8 step into 2 inch into 3 inch collectors, will need to give him some more details and we can get them done. wow, that will do for now... hope you get your car to the shop soon!!

What sort of windshield are you going to make???
Anyways, catch ya.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:15 PM
TECH Regular

Ok got some things done on the car. Have the radsupport finished for now minus the radiator mounting tabs.

Started to relocate my lower controll arms, got some bushing to make and one tab still to weld, but this is where I sit...

This will give me plenty of room.

My rollers should be here today, but thanks Dennis not sure if im going to cut more of the windshield away, so I may hang off and finish the lower controll arms!!

Thanks for looking, catch ya.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looks good Robb!!! I'm thinking I need to do that to my junk.... How hard was it? Later
Old 09-20-2011, 01:32 AM
TECH Regular

It is well worth the effort!!! They are not quite finished yet, tabs are in but im looking at buying a lathe to turn down some 20mm steel, to suit my new 18 mm hole. Then I'll drill the bar out 1/2 inch and run it right through the rail, to gusset the entire job also will give me a flat seat on the rail side.

The job is well within your capabilities Dennis, if you have all the materials there is no reason that it couldn't all be done in a day!!!

You will also need to relocate your panhard rod, mine was already removed, to take full advantage.

Thanks for the Burkhart lead, I rang them today, they are shipping out a bumper support for me tomorrow. Chuck is a great guy, he said they are workin late at the moment to prepare for the LSX shoot out.

Are you going??? Im going to try get pics of the day online, see what the day is all about!!
Catch ya.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looks good!! Talked to Burkhart today and my rear is set up for the stock location. No biggie! If it gets to be a problem I will change it later. Still no lexan but I did make a pattern today! Hope to get some soon and get it done. Later
Old 09-22-2011, 07:09 PM
TECH Regular

Your right it isnt that big a deal.... that is why I had hung off bying a diff housing, or finished up the rear as I hadnt got things all where I wanted them yet!! I'm going to go the wolf double adj sway bar instead of the single now too. Not that far off now and I will have everything where I want it.

My bumpermount is on the road to california, I will have to chase up with my shipper to get it and my replacement kmember over here.

My mig rollers are here.... at last what and ordeal, anyway I think im going to go straight up the firewall, like you said. But I going to fill all the old spotwelds in the bay first. The 0.6 is much better to weld the thin sheet with, should make the job a whole lot easier.

Glad to here things are happening with the lexen.... pretty sure I will be makin my own windshield too!!

BMR's have some new upper A- Arms for me, they are sending them out today. I tried to source replacement bolts for the upper and lower a- arms over here, but I cant. So I found some over your way, they should be here next week!

I hope to get a bunch of stuff done in the bay this weekend..... we will see what happens.

Catch ya.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:28 PM
TECH Regular

Hey guys, got nearly all the spotwelds filled last night. Man the 0.6 welds nicer on the thin sheet, but fxxxxk it is a pain. It continues to gather up in the machine and you have to keep spoolin it up all the time, 4m of wire lost a time!!! Anyway hope to get the windshield cowl started today. Catch ya.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:14 PM
TECH Regular

Hi guys, yeah got the winshield cowl nearly knocked off!!!
This is where im going to cut

The support that is left shows just how much was removed

By lunchtime I thought I was looking good

Still had the devil horns to fill in.... man that was probably the hardest part of the job!! I thought it suited the car, and gives it a more nasty finish than beig fully smoothe, like a show car bay.

This is the end result, still need to clean it all up.

Now I can easily remove the dizzy, and I could fit a nice 671

Anyway thanks for looking, catch ya.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Looks great Robb!!!! You dont mess around do you! Very nice!!!
Old 09-26-2011, 05:16 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks man... Came out ok, the horns were definatly the hardest part but I think they suit the car!!
I will start to clean it up this week... Got my new ANDRA rule book today, they changed a few rules but my car is still ontrack for now.
Catch ya.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:48 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You're going to have to build that up where the glass now doesn't have a lip to sit on... I would probably get a lexan windshield pretty quick and get it poistioned on the car so you can see where, and how far up you have to add onto that.

What hood are you planning on running? I know the 5 inch VFN one will cover more then you've done there but not alot more, and that's the transam version, the camaro one I don't know if it goes as far up the glass, and if it's as wide or not.

Just something to think about. Work looks good though.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
You're going to have to build that up where the glass now doesn't have a lip to sit on... I would probably get a lexan windshield pretty quick and get it poistioned on the car so you can see where, and how far up you have to add onto that.

What hood are you planning on running? I know the 5 inch VFN one will cover more then you've done there but not alot more, and that's the transam version, the camaro one I don't know if it goes as far up the glass, and if it's as wide or not.

Just something to think about. Work looks good though.
here is some pics and some idea's

Old 09-27-2011, 01:18 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the thoughts guys!! Jl im running the VFN wide sunnaco hood and hatch just vaiting for them to build the hatch. Im going to make my own lexen winshield, I know that I will need to add metal to attatch the MR20 but no biggie... made windshields before but not quite like this one!!! Im going to wait for the hood and then Ill make the screen once I know how everything fits.

FUEL my man!!! Thanks for the pics, They are a great help and offer some good ideas. This is why im here..... What hood are you going to run???? That you needed the dome shape?? Very nice work though. The 1 inch steel is what I was going to use, or I might go 2 inch and make it duel purpose.... to hold the dash cover on and the MR20 to bolt through.

Thaks for the ideas guys, catch ya.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

that dome shape is the contore of the wind sheild,so the wind sheild will keep its stock shape.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Old 09-27-2011, 12:01 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Fuel that's pretty much what I was talking about yes.

Looks good too!
Old 09-27-2011, 04:02 PM
TECH Regular

Fuel, that looks awsome... It hit me last night when I was down at eye level looking up at the windshield vacuming under the car. I can see that it supports the windshield to keep the standard shape. I cant believe that I missed that!!! It doesnt help when you havent seen any other fbodys!! I will probably do something similar, Im also thinking of running a center pillar support to take the preasure off the edges.

Is that the madman and co fibreglass dash I see..... How was the fit??
Old 09-27-2011, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98 grmrpr
Fuel, that looks awsome... It hit me last night when I was down at eye level looking up at the windshield vacuming under the car. I can see that it supports the windshield to keep the standard shape. I cant believe that I missed that!!! It doesnt help when you havent seen any other fbodys!! I will probably do something similar, Im also thinking of running a center pillar support to take the preasure off the edges.

Is that the madman and co fibreglass dash I see..... How was the fit??
you can still fix what you got.i would cut of those ears and make it strait across.and put you windsheild in place and you should be able to find the curvature of the wind sheild......and the 1" peice of metal needs to be angled so the window sits flat on it.it will want to pull back from the heat of welding.

Quick Reply: Building a race car? Document it here!