Sponsored by:

Anyone running a cam this big?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 10:42 PM
Rockstar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone running a cam this big?

240/244 .525/.525 110 LSA

I talked to Cam Motion, gave them all the details of what my build is gonna be, and this is what they gave me specific to my setup. Vig 4K, 4.10's, Fresh Rebuilt 355 LT1, 1.5 RR, stock heads.
Is anyone running something similar Cam Only? Any potential problems I may have with something with these specs, i.e.; tuning, driveability, etc?

I posted this in the LT1 section but it's filled up with alot of internet mechanics nowadays, no help at all.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a big cam-only cam...do your due diligence and call AI and LE and give them those specs and see what you get as an answer from them. I know that's said a lot, but they are both very proven in the LT1 world and AI spec'd me a killer setup and I couldn't be happier.

Another thought, do some research on what some stock eliminator guys are running for cams (if they'll spill the beans)...just as a broad comparison. Those are big duration, stock lift (or close to stock lift) cams on stock heads, etc.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

wer u looking for a different answer than u found in the 3 page thread in the lt1 section?
Old 09-16-2010, 09:09 AM
Rockstar

Originally Posted by ElkySS
wer u looking for a different answer than u found in the 3 page thread in the lt1 section?
Yeah, I'm not looking for advice, or how well people did with OTHER cams.
I'm looking for real world results. Someone who has gone with a cam near this size/specs, and what their experience was.
Everyone in the LT1 section is all up on the AI/LE bandwagon, without even considering how something else may work.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cam Motion does a few of the local stock eliminator guys cams and are not LT1 novices. I am sure that it would be killer at the track, but you will likely hate it on the street. How much street driving are you planning on doing?
Old 09-16-2010, 09:36 AM
Rockstar

Originally Posted by 5.3LJimmy
Cam Motion does a few of the local stock eliminator guys cams and are not LT1 novices. I am sure that it would be killer at the track, but you will likely hate it on the street. How much street driving are you planning on doing?
This is a DD, but I only put about 300 miles a month on it. It's mostly interstate driving as well. As it is I have to get to 3000 rpm just to get up to speed, so I really won't mind whatever downsides it may have on the street.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:48 AM
11 Second Club

they are all just trying to tell u that the lt1 is an 18 year old motor based off a 60 year old motor that people have been messing with since the day it came out. ALOT if different cams have come out for a stock headed motor. all the less than up to par ones died off. and now we are left with the best. if it was a fairly new motor, i could see the reason for playing with cam specs. this motor has been out so long its obvious what works and what wont work. there is no reason to change what works extremely well with such a common goal. imo u wont find a better cam for ur goals than the ai 226/234. i dont have a single ai part on my current motor btw
Old 09-16-2010, 10:04 AM
Rockstar

they are all just trying to tell u that the lt1 is an 18 year old motor based off a 60 year old motor that people have been messing with since the day it came out. ALOT if different cams have come out for a stock headed motor. all the less than up to par ones died off. and now we are left with the best. if it was a fairly new motor, i could see the reason for playing with cam specs. this motor has been out so long its obvious what works and what wont work. there is no reason to change what works extremely well with such a common goal. imo u wont find a better cam for ur goals than the ai 226/234. i dont have a single ai part on my current motor btw
You don't think I know that? Hell, if this is what they spec'd me, then it must be for a reason. You can stop wasting your breath(in this case keystrokes) about the subject, you and the others are beating a dead horse and probably don't realize you're not helping even an iota.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:13 AM
11 Second Club

**** it. heres the answer u want to hear.

this is the most amazing cam i have ever seen. these specs will revolutionize the way people design cams from now on. this is the end of the trail. there will never be a better cam. not in a million years.

happy?
Old 09-16-2010, 10:25 AM
11 Second Club

so basically this is how that thread is going.

you: hey what do u guys think of this cam for this purpose?

EVERYONE: looks like it will be hard to drive on the street

you: my car is my daily driver

everyone: oh, then u should go with something similar to the ai 226/234

you: no ur all wrong.

sound about right? all we are trying to do is help u with the question u asked. alot of people that responded have been doing this a very long time and have already been through this
Old 09-16-2010, 10:32 AM
Rockstar

Jesus Effing Christ.
I asked if anyone had a similar spec'd cam, not what you people with other cams thought about it.
Just stop ******* trolling man.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:33 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ Yea, thats about how I read it Elky.

To add, I OFTEN do not see LT1 guys running that cam. This is not persay a LTx specific site. I would tend to wager Camaroz28.com was always MORE LTx Specific.

To me I always worry about PTV when running a cam like that. Any reason why your not running 1.6 ratio RR?? With the proper calc, the lift would go from the .525" to .560" which is not bad. Are the heads still stock, or untouched? Assuming if they are stock it makes sense, the heads get stalled out easy and all your doing is hammering the valve train but I figure thats the only question not asked.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

with the proper stall and gearing that cam will be fine. I ran a 242/246 vortec headed 355 for a few years as a street/strip jobber and it drove around town fine for me. Idled 850 in gear with a super victor intake and 4200 stall, 4.11 rear gears. Didn't bother me a bit. Only took 2000 rpm for it to move from a stoplight with traffic and was very streetable IMO. Spun to 6500, had a power band of 3500-6500 and was great. Nothing exotic about a lt1 compared to sbc specs, it's all intake design and head flow when choosing a cam.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:45 AM
Rockstar

Originally Posted by xpndbl3
with the proper stall and gearing that cam will be fine. I ran a 242/246 vortec headed 355 for a few years as a street/strip jobber and it drove around town fine for me. Idled 850 in gear with a super victor intake and 4200 stall, 4.11 rear gears. Didn't bother me a bit. Only took 2000 rpm for it to move from a stoplight with traffic and was very streetable IMO. Spun to 6500, had a power band of 3500-6500 and was great. Nothing exotic about a lt1 compared to sbc specs, it's all intake design and head flow when choosing a cam.
I hope everyone notices, this response is the point of this thread, real world experience. Thank you.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I ran a cam similar to it, but bigger.

240/250 600 lift 108 centerline.

Getting the intial tune down took some time, but after that, I could have drove it on the street, but it was a track only car.

4800 stall, 4.10 gear would idle fine and drive fine, never ran hot, had plenty of piston to valve clearance

I ran FAST Fuel Injection, but I would think you could get it to run on a stock pcm
Old 09-16-2010, 10:56 AM
11 Second Club

he also said it was a carbed motor. they dont have the same standards we do. we can also run higher compression which is also factored into cam design. it sounds like ur just looking for someone to justify you using that cam.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:08 AM
Rockstar

he also said it was a carbed motor. they dont have the same standards we do. we can also run higher compression which is also factored into cam design. it sounds like ur just looking for someone to justify you using that cam.
I'm hopeful, but not ignorant. You contribute nothing.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:09 PM
10 Second Club

Its spec'd simuliar to a cc306. Which Ive been around many cars that have ran it. They havent performed verywell. Driveability was OKAY. But nothing I would like to drive daily.

If your after sound go ahead, If your after peak performance. Well id line up with you with my old hotcam setup anyday. And im not trying to be a dick on that. Just comparing it to something.

I think that if its sound, okay driver friendly and mid to bottom twelves your looking for you'd be happy.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:35 PM
11 Second Club

fine. run the cam. just dont come back here bitching wen u get walked by a hot cam car with less gearing and less converter
Old 09-16-2010, 12:42 PM
Rockstar

fine. run the cam. just dont come back here bitching wen u get walked by a hot cam car with less gearing and less converter
Don't take it so personally big momma. All I'm doing is seeking some info here, and you and half the LT1 section act like you enjoy being dicks because i'm merely looking into something different. I'd appreciate it if you don't post up unless it's relevant to my question.