Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Bar Removal Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I'll have to look into that when I take the panels of over the winter to do some drilling on the window metal structure.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Man, I am just getting ready to do this on my 02 CAMARO and I find that information like this is worth it's weight in gold (time!).
Old 10-31-2010, 09:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I did mine about 4 yrs ago and drill a hole the size of a body drain plug hole.
Attached Thumbnails Door Bar Removal Thread-picture-461.jpg   Door Bar Removal Thread-picture-460.jpg  
Old 10-31-2010, 09:37 PM
10 Second Club

I got it done in about 20 mins per side. I ended up using my die grinder and my cut off grinder. I tried to find some old tools to fab the wrenches up but I didnt have any 12 pt metrics to donate to the cause. I admit I made a mess with steel splinters but I vacumed it all up off the floor and out of the doors. Ear, eye, hand and respirator were the order of the day and I did have to cut the bar twice to get it out of the door. The "nuts" that the bolts screw into on the brackets are the target if anyone else does it the way I did. The write up that you did is great and the pics are the best! My camaro is greatful to be rid of the extra weight!!
Old 10-31-2010, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

has anyone pulled all that out of the door? what is that? were the hidges bolt to on the ends???
Attached Thumbnails Door Bar Removal Thread-cimg2852.jpg  
Old 01-15-2011, 04:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

anyo0ne got any more pics on the end door metal
Old 01-16-2011, 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I havent looked into pulling the metal out, but for those of you looking to pull the bars out you do not have to cut a hole in the door or cut the bar into peices. Take your front tire off and pull the inner fender out, then removed the bolts on the door bar like you usually would and you can slide it out through the hole where the wiring goes through in the front of the door. The door will need to be shutso crawl out the other side. Done it on a few cars now, it works very well.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:36 PM
10 Second Club

I am going to go back into the doors and get rid of everything I can but still keep the electric windows. I think that there is more fiberglass and metal that can go. A buddy that owns a bodyshop did caution me to be careful and think twice before cutting because he has seen guys cut too much and then the window mechanism gets "floppy and unstable" resulting in cracks in the fiberglass. Has anyone replaced the glass in the doors with polyglass? I know that VFN offers polyglass, and I think that Percy's does too, that has the same curve and shape as OEM but it is thinner and way lighter. I don't think I could use the electric raise/lower feature anymore and would have to use the metal frame that they also sell to keep the polyglass in place. The only reason I like the electric windows is that when I am in the staging lanes I can open the left hand door then let the right hand window down a little, remotely when I am strapped in, and get some airflow in the car and cool it down.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thread revival!

im going to be removing my door bars next week, but want to go a step further. the car is track only car with cage. is it possible to cut out the inside door skin? will it have any ill effect? and how would i go about removing the window motor/regulator, but leaving the window up...is it possible?
Old 06-10-2013, 06:46 PM
TECH Regular

Another bump
I couldn't get any wrenches on those bolts, and don't have a welder to make a tool. Any other options? Anyone able to just cut everything out with a dremel? I have no air tools either.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:36 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If it takes you very long you may be disappointed when you weigh them after getting them out. I used an abrasive cut-off disk to cut them in half, instead of drilling holes, or pulling wiring & inner fenders to get them out. Maybe ten /fifteen minutes per door. Be sure to weight them after you get them out. LOL

Someone said the doors would be easier to close? I didn't notice that. How can that be?
Old 06-11-2013, 07:26 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
If it takes you very long you may be disappointed when you weigh them after getting them out. I used an abrasive cut-off disk to cut them in half, instead of drilling holes, or pulling wiring & inner fenders to get them out. Maybe ten /fifteen minutes per door. Be sure to weight them after you get them out. LOL

Someone said the doors would be easier to close? I didn't notice that. How can that be?
I think you have a firechicken, and I hear you can use regular wrenches on those. I spent 15 minutes just trying every tool I had to get a wrench on. I have no grinder and no welder to make the tool. Argh. I guess I'll walk around the tool section today and see if I can see anything usable. I'm thinking a really shallow 10mm socket on a tiny breaker bar, if it exists.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:50 AM
9-Second Club

When you weigh them after you get them out, you will likely wonder why you bothered. There are things you can do in the same length of time that will actually make your car faster. This won't. 100 lbs is worth 6 to 7 hundredths on my car. 50 lbs is three hundredths. Those bars do not weigh more than six. Just small tubing and four small bolts.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:28 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Ed everything counts lol. I cut mine in two pieces on one side, and took the inner fender out the drivers side. If I did it again the inner fender was the easiest method IMO.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

every little bit of weight will add up in the long run ,IIRC I had to cut down a 10mm socket to fit using a thin 1/4 ratchet.If your not installing a roll bar in the car and it sees alot of street driving i wouldn't remove them.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:34 PM
Launching!

I snatched up a set of spare Camaro doors locally for $30 last weekend, and they are the correct color for my car
For a light-weight-swap-out race set.

I also snatched up a rear hatch in the matching color, got that for $30 too. Prepping it for SpeedGlass.

Since the doors were off, it was easier to remove the bars, but still took a while since I didn't have a ratcheting head tool. I had a ground-down swivel socket wrench. No room to use the tool for complete extraction. I put a 1/4 socket on it when the wrench wouldn't fit anymore. Then I just turn the socket with my fingers.

BTW, I've see the holes drilled in the back of the doors, but you could drill a hole in the flat bottom part of the door. From Memory, I used a 2 inch hole saw, and located a spot that was completely on the flat bottom, but right up to the edge of the door that started to curve up. Then I moved over towards the outer side of the door, against the same edge. Finagled the bar around, and it also required that the bar be rotated with the tongue down. It was that close to not having room. The bar will need to be moved around a bit to the upper-most front corner and then the back of the bar it will come out through the bottom drill hole tongue down, and the hole will remain out of sight.

or you could remove the tire and wheel well, etc as in a previous post.

Jay Johnson
Old 06-16-2013, 07:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good stuff
Old 06-16-2013, 08:32 AM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
Ed everything counts lol. I cut mine in two pieces on one side, and took the inner fender out the drivers side. If I did it again the inner fender was the easiest method IMO.
A die grinder with a thin cut-off disk cuts through those bars in about 30 seconds. How fast can you pull a tire & inner fender? You must be a lot faster at pulling that stuff than this old man. LOL
Old 06-16-2013, 08:59 AM
Staging Lane

I used a 10mm offset wrench and a 1/4" 10mm socket and ratchet to remove my bars. Cut the bar so you have 3 pieces, pull the ends to bend towards you and finish unbolting bar. no need to make special tools.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:08 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by PHATKOP
I used a 10mm offset wrench and a 1/4" 10mm socket and ratchet to remove my bars. Cut the bar so you have 3 pieces, pull the ends to bend towards you and finish unbolting bar. no need to make special tools.
Never thought of this. Great idea I'm going to try it.
So far I am able to only get out the one 10mm closest to the door latch using my smallest 1/4" drive. The next one in I could only loosen, and the two at the front near the hinge I still can't get any wrench or ratchet on them. I hope this cutting and bending works. I even spent $25 at sears getting a swivel socket set thinking I could use them at 90deg bend but even that's too fat

Quick Reply: Door Bar Removal Thread