Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do I need for this gauge to work?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 03:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default What do I need for this gauge to work?

A friend of mine gave me this used Autometer 2 and 1/16" Sport Comp mechanical oil pressure gauge a while ago and I am thinking about installing it.

It has the fitting for the incoming oil line but it has no line. From the research that I have done so far it seems that there are 2 locations to mount the "sender?" for the gauge: replace the oil pressure sending unit at the back of the IManifold or right above where the oil filter attaches to the block. Are there any other places to mount the sender? If those are my only two choices for "sender?" installation location, I'd like to mount it above the filter. It looks like I need 6 ft. of nylon tubing and 1/8" NPT fittings and 1/4'' NPT adapter/fittings from Thunder Racing's description on their website. Do I need anything else to mount the sender above the oil filter?

Anyone have any luck getting this stuff from Autometer / a sponsor without buying the gauge itself? If not, where else could I get the required parts to make this work?

The electrical connections for the light have been cut. I am sure it has been said before on the forum so I can search for it, but if anyone wants to tell me how and where they set up their electrical connections, I am all ears.

I'd like to mount this gauge on the a-pillar using a single pod. Is the general concensus that the Autometer gauge pod is the best in terms of quality? Is there supposed to some sort of bracket that sandwiches the gauge pod in between the gauge itself and said gauge bracket? I dont have the little bracket but the threaded studs are still there.

Hopefully I can get the miscellaneous items I need for the install from Autometer or a sponsor.

thanks 'tech.

P.S. for whoever runs an aftermarker oil pressure gauge, do you add extra oil to compensate for the oil in the line between the engine and the gauge or am I being overly cautious?
Old 09-27-2010, 04:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run my mechanical oil PSI gauge off of a sandwhich adapter from glowshift. it was like 18$ and works like a charm. It seems to read about 2-5lbs lower than the stuck gauge so far, but i havent had the car about 2,000rpm since i put it in. Either way, knowing it will show me for sure what my oil PSI is (or at least a close ballpark) thats all i care cuz i think my stock gauge is starting to act up.

You can get everything you need from summit.

Youll need this
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-3224/
and some teflon tape

depeding on where you put it you will also need an adapter to put it in the stock oil psi sending location (a npt to MM adapter or somethig like that) or a good tap set if you wanna go into the block. Personally id go the glowshift route for ease of installation or the put it in the stock sending unit locationg for a little cleaner but a little harder location,. I plan on taking the stock sender out and moving my autometer line up to the stock location when i switch from the LS6 intake to the LSRx fast or w/e it is
Old 09-27-2010, 09:07 PM
11 Second Club

also for mechanical gauges ive never seen them have wires come out the back. Ive always seen 2 posts. one will say GND and the other will have a picture of a lightbulb. I went to home depot and got push on crimp connectors like these http://2.imimg.com/data2/YI/FA/HELLO...le-250x250.jpg to attatch to the back of the gauge. Ground the GND side and the lightbulb side needs to go to the grey wire on the back of your headlight ****.

Me along with a lot of others that i know run the autometer pod and fitment everything is great. i recommend it. They supply 4 grey push in things but i just got 4 1/4 self tapers and i screwed the pod to the a pillar. As far as securing the gauge in the pod, idk how you could go about getting the holder for the back of the gauge. Im sure if you wrapped the gauge in electrical or teflon tape and "wedge" it in the pod
Old 09-28-2010, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

is putting the gauge behind the IMani smarter than putting it above the oil filter? I imagine that if I run the gauge from the stock OPSU location, I am going to need one of these to alleviate any interference between the gauge stuff and the intake?

I have the pod situation figured out. Here are some brackets to sandwich the pod between the gauge and the bracket.

this is a picture of what I am working with right now.

It looks like I am going to need to get this to get oil going to the gauge. It looks like I am going to need one of these as well.

I imagine that this is for electrical and not mechanical gauges correct?

I imagine that this high pressure isolator is some sort of safety item. sounds like a good idea to me. anyone else run one of these?

Can i get some verification on this please?
Old 09-28-2010, 02:01 AM
11 Second Club

the back of my mechanical gauges did look like that
that elbow/bend adapter is something you would need yes. and also the metric converter. Run the copper tube not the nylon. Its alot "safer" cuz it wont wear through like the nylon will.
Idk about the isolater. Im running 3 mechanical gauges in my car and not one has an isolator
Old 09-28-2010, 02:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

tell me more about this copper tube please.

is it like a hardline or does it flex?
Old 09-28-2010, 04:37 AM
11 Second Club

it is real thin "hardline" that you can bend to fit your needs

its right here:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-3224/

its what im running for all 3 of my gauges. its really bendable and as long as your gentle when your moving it around youll never have a problem with it
Old 10-29-2010, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry deleted