Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pin on hatch & Prostock spoiler install. Look inside!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 07:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pin on hatch & Prostock spoiler install. Look inside!!

So I purchased a Joe Van Overbeek prostock spoiler and a VFN pin on hatch for the build of my 99 Camaro. I am wanting to see pictures from all of you guys, how you mounted these wings and hatches. I have a few different ideas I've just been kicking around, so if you are running anything like these ideas post up too!

1. Mount the lexan back glass separate from the rest of the hatch and make it removable like a pin on trunk panel to access the batteries and fuel cell. (Trap door will be installed to make it easy to refuel the motor along witch charging lugs out back.) This would make it much easier to remove/reinstall when I'm at the track alone and not scratch or risk cracking the lexan. It's not cheap!!

2. Run the piano hinge for the spoiler independent of the hatch. Instead have it mounted to a small piece of round stock or 1/2" chromolly tubing ran up against the hatch so it's not visible (looks like its mounted traditionally), still can pivot, and makes the hatch removable without having to hook/unhook the strut rods and make it easier to handle the hatch with no adjustments to the spoiler.

What's your ideas with these hatch spoiler combos when it comes to mounting them? Am I crazy for my thinking here? Let's hear your ideas/opinions and see some pictures!
Old 10-26-2010, 09:15 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I would look at putting the fuel cell in the nose, you'll have the hood off all the time anyway so it won't be as much trouble there.. I'd also put a set of charging lugs in the bumper cover so that way you can do that too with the hatch still on, and now you don't have to worry about taking it on and off really at all (or at least at the track for anything)

I don't think dzusing the window/lexan in will work, I think it will probably blow out/tear easier if it was only held on that way, either that or you'd have to put a TON of fastners in, and that would be a pita.

If you have an ice tank or the line in the car, then I'd try to locate that behind the passenger's seat or something as well so you don't have to get into the hatch area for that either, if possible.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

JL I should have been a little more specific. The pics I have saw of the window mounted in what looked like it was separately was screwed in all the way around with a piece of round stock around the shape of of the bottom of the rear glass with small tabs to screw the glass into all the way around it's perimeter. There was no dzus fasteners holding the glass in what so ever, just screws through the glass into metal all the way around.

I have a 1 gallon fuel cell up front for my stand alone fuel system for the nitrous. But the main reason why I would prefer to have my 5 gallon cell in the back is so when I am not spraying the car and I am bracket racing sometimes I end up going by myself. There is not always someone around to help me get this pin on hood of the nose in the pits and if the wind blows just a little it doesn't take much to blow me off my feet even though I'm 6' and close to 200lbs. This hood is damn near the size of a sheet of plywood! lol
Old 10-26-2010, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm not that familiar with the camaro wing mounting provisions, but the wing mounts to the body of a firebird, not the hatch...

if you need frequent access to the hatch, I'd personally keep the OEM one since its hinged. the glass is the majority of the weight anyhow...changing that to lexan will help...but thats just me
Old 10-26-2010, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My hatch arrived today so a little too late to change plans. lol I don't need frequent access at all I was just kicking around a few ideas. I just want to avoid having a dzus fastener in the glass. Like I said with an access door for the fuel cell and charging lugs I won't need access back there very often. I just wanted some opinions and ideas. Keep em coming guys and thanks for the input!

What do you think madman?
Old 10-26-2010, 12:24 PM
Race your car!

Any way you could get a filler neck in the stock filler door to the fuel cell, so that way you can leave the hatch shut?

If that's a possibility, that might solve the issues, that and a set of charging lugs, and you can leave the car shut all the time.

I'd see if that might be doable.

I hear ya on the hood, and hatch removal too. A good gust of wind and you'll be flying away like mary poppins LOL.

I'm 6'3 about 25x now and believe me it's no different for a guy that's a little bigger.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well the quarters are being stretched and the gas door and the antenna hole are getting filled in. I think I will have the trap door powdercoated black like my dzus fasteners to match the paint and if I do decide to move both fuel cells up front I will have a local guy patch it. He restores vettes for a living and is amazing with fiberglass.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:20 AM
Race your car!

If you can fit it in the nose, why not just put a 4 or 5 gallon in the nose, and just run both pumps off it? Run a tune for pump fuel when you're bracket racing, and then just drain it and fill it with race fuel when you're spraying, if the motor will be happy like that?

Cool on the stretch too.. that always looks killer.

Quick Reply: Pin on hatch & Prostock spoiler install. Look inside!!