Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MT Radials, A4, 10-bolt, Will it make it tonight?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 09:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MT Radials, A4, 10-bolt, Will it make it tonight?

I have a 98 Z28 with a super street fighter 4l60E and TCI 3600 stall.
Motor has a texas speed cam, CNC heads, and long tubes putting down 380 to the wheels.

It has been running 12.3's in the 1/4 and 7.9 in the 1/8 on Old nitto's spinning in first. Best time on street tires is 12.6 @ 114.

Anyway- I have a new set of MT 275/60/15 Radials on the car and am heading to the track tonight. It has a 10-bolt with 3:73's.

I know that the 10-bolt isn't going to last, but it hasn't given me any problems yet. I'm going to tighten the pinion nut and check my ujoints / driveline today.

Should I be worried about doing a good burnout on the MT's and leaving on the footbrake up on the convertor?

I always drive it to the track, but can trailer it if needed. I want to try and get it into the 7.5X tonight if the track is good, but I dont want to blow the rear and a $4k tranny trying to do it...
Old 10-27-2010, 10:02 AM
Staging Lane

A friend has the same converter and his has never broken anything. As long as it doesn't wheel hop you'll be good. I'd do a good burnout and get up on the converter and let it rip. My car likes to be stalled as high as it'll go. Flash it and it slows down
Old 10-27-2010, 10:05 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When it comes to 10 bolt A4 Cars and what I have seen myself and of others, once you go below 1.6xx 60 foots, your going to see the down turn of the rear. You can stay in the 1.7's for a while but even then, the whine will come. @ low 1.7's you get a "Yank" and just doing that over and over kills the rear.

IMO you should be more then fine tonight. Have fun and let us know the results.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That tire is too tall for the gears you have. As for the rear its really a guessing game, some people have them last forever and some people break them on street tires.

If it is your only car and need it to get to work tomorrow then the smart thing would be not to race it. If you have another car or spare rear then go for it. Your car should run high 7.30's on a good pass. I really think the 28" tall tire is going to hurt you though.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:09 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Its Slo
A friend has the same converter and his has never broken anything. As long as it doesn't wheel hop you'll be good. I'd do a good burnout and get up on the converter and let it rip. My car likes to be stalled as high as it'll go. Flash it and it slows down
Makes me feel better I have a 6pt wolfe cage a sub-frame connectors on the car.

Here is a video with the old nittos on it. To be safe, I rolled around the water and did a small dry burnout. It has a 1.75 60' on that pass and ran a 12.3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcymJFxPw1A

I had the brake down and let it come up on the convertor until it wanted to push the car.. ( it actually moved it a little and I went in deep but had a good light).
Old 10-27-2010, 10:14 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by buzz12586
That tire is too tall for the gears you have. As for the rear its really a guessing game, some people have them last forever and some people break them on street tires.

If it is your only car and need it to get to work tomorrow then the smart thing would be not to race it. If you have another car or spare rear then go for it. Your car should run high 7.30's on a good pass. I really think the 28" tall tire is going to hurt you though.
Its a toy so not my DD.. I guess to be safe I could always trailer it to the track.

I went with the 28's on the car because of the nitrous kit. I have a NX setup with a progressive controller and jetted for 175 right now. But I know that the 10-bolt won't last on the spray so I'm playing on motor and just working on getting comfotable with the car right now.

I agree that the 28's are a little tall, but I think they will do good on the spray.

Actually, I had to take the skinnies off the front and put street tires on until I get it tuned again, because the tire size difference was triggering the ABS light.

I read if there is a %20 difference in the front and rear tires it will do this.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:18 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
When it comes to 10 bolt A4 Cars and what I have seen myself and of others, once you go below 1.6xx 60 foots, your going to see the down turn of the rear. You can stay in the 1.7's for a while but even then, the whine will come. @ low 1.7's you get a "Yank" and just doing that over and over kills the rear.

IMO you should be more then fine tonight. Have fun and let us know the results.
I just drove the car 2500 miles on business from Alabama to NJ and stopped by the Cecil outlaw race. On the interstate I started to notice the rear whining when it was coasting or off the gas. Its not real loud, but it's there.

The guy I bought the car from said the rear was setup at .005 and it has wined since it was installed (about 3500 miles and 10 passes ago).

So I'm going to tighten the pinion nut toinght and check out the u-joints and pinion angle to be safe.

Hopefully if I load the drivetrain by putting it up on the convertor it will help take out slack and make the rear last until I can get a racecraft 9" setup
Old 10-27-2010, 10:20 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by buzz12586

I would love to see the car go .30's with the current setup, but yoru right. The tire is going to take away a little gearing for the 1/8.

In the video above it went a 7.9 and 12.3 spinning and not leaving real hard on the old rotten nitto 555's. So I just need .4 to get it down to a 7.50 tonight.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

with an a4 you should be fine on the 10 bolt. i've been to the track 3 times now in the past couple months running from low to high 11's with 275 MT drag radials and a stock rear. even had wheel hop on a couple passes and survived. like others have said, some get lucky others don't
Old 10-27-2010, 10:29 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mike135531bubba
with an a4 you should be fine on the 10 bolt. i've been to the track 3 times now in the past couple months running from low to high 11's with 275 MT drag radials and a stock rear. even had wheel hop on a couple passes and survived. like others have said, some get lucky others don't
Cool.. I will feel a lot better when I tighten the pinion nut and make sure the ujoints are good etc before I got. I may even put my non-adjustable BMR lCA's on it to help get off the line.

When you do your burnout on radials, do you pull out of the water and burn out in 1-2, then let it spin while your rolling out towards the line? I have been doing this before, and know the tires are sticky when it makes that "Screeech" sound when the tires catch traction. I had a tranny guy tell me that its bad for the drivetrain.

2 beers and the burnouts get better!
Old 10-27-2010, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Over the years I've seen so many A4 guys pull 10's with the stock rear, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:28 AM
I write checks with my mouth that my ass can't cash

i have a full bolt on SS4000 car and built tranny with 3.73s in teh ten bolt and i flash it from idle after a very nice burnout at the track, goes 1.54 60, has some gear wiine at 60 but thats the only side effect so far....my car is decently light though, and i have a 255/50/16 m/t....go for it in my opinion
Old 10-30-2010, 04:00 AM
11 Second Club

Just got back from the track and it held up WOOHOO

Had my best time yet in the car with a 1.64 60' 7.57 1/8 and 11.90 1/4 @ 113.45.
I put the radials at 20 lbs and did a real good burnout. They prepped the track so it was hooking real good and not spinning. Actually pulled me back into the seat for the first time.

I played around with leaving on the convertor (3000), from idle, and 2000 foot braking.

Best 60' and run in the 11's @113 was leaving at 2k and flashing the convertor. It seemed to hit the tire a little harder and get the car moving.

Leaving at idle (1100) spun the tires about 20' with a 1.8 60'

leaving right on the convertor was 1.73 60'

Had a guy at the track telling me my car should be picking the front tires up and saying I need to get rid of the 3600 TCI stall that came with the TCI super street tighter and get a 10" LS1 stall from PTC and it should 60' 1.4x on a bone stock suspension and radials.

The stall seems good to me, and I'm sure it will get better with more track time. This was about my 30th pass on the car to I'm still learning what works.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your car is working great w/ that converter just leave it for now !!!!!
Old 10-31-2010, 12:40 PM
11 Second Club

It seems to be working ok, but I feel like the car should be faster with the cam ( 581 .224 .224 Texas Speed) and ported ls1 heads.

I'm going to leave the motor alone for now and start working on the suspension. I just got a 9" and going to put that in next week and try a 4.30 gear to see if it helps out.